OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 06:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COLDPLAY: VIVA LA VIDA or DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS  (Read 3965 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 27, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »

Ok, I just pre-ordered Coldplay's new album "Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends" from itunes (you get two bonus tracks through itunes and an immediate download of "Viva la Vida" (the single). In early reviews, Rolling Stone magazine stated this could be the most epic album of the decade. After listening to "Viva la Vida" I can see why. I instantly loved it!

Here is a link to the itunes promo video of "Viva la Vida" on youtube. These guys remind me of U2 during the Joshua Tree/ Rattle & Hum days.

Let me know what you all think

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=KrORVz37M8E

Viva la Coldplay!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:19 PM »

Not a fan of Coldplay and... doesn't look like I will be becoming one soon.   Tongue  So take my opinion for all that it is worth.   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »

It could have been worse.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »

These guys remind me of U2 during the Joshua Tree/ Rattle & Hum days.
Chris Martin is really trying to be the next John "Bono" Lennon. Trying too hard, I'd say. Still, I like the new sound. I give a lot of credit to bands that continually try new sounds, and Coldplay have impressed me in that respect. They may take some flak for a lack of "originality," but as I dispute whether that concept really exists, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Also check out the video for "Violet Hill." Pretty complex stuff, though "white snow" is a bit trite for a metaphor these days.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »

Chris Martin is really trying to be the next John "Bono" Lennon. Trying too hard, I'd say. Still, I like the new sound. I give a lot of credit to bands that continually try new sounds, and Coldplay have impressed me in that respect. They may take some flak for a lack of "originality," but as I dispute whether that concept really exists, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Also check out the video for "Violet Hill." Pretty complex stuff, though "white snow" is a bit trite for a metaphor these days.

Where is the link for the Violet Hill Video?

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:38 PM »

D'oh! Thought I had posted it above.

Here it is:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IakDItZ7f7Q&feature=related

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »

I think that these are ridiculous comparisons.  Coldplay is wholly unoriginal and boring.  I can't understand why people listen to them and buy their stuff.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »

I think that these are ridiculous comparisons.  Coldplay is wholly unoriginal and boring.  I can't understand why people listen to them and buy their stuff.

Blasphemy!  Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »

D'oh! Thought I had posted it above.

Here it is:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IakDItZ7f7Q&feature=related

Why is it on a french website?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »

Clocks is one of the most well written hooks on the face of the earth.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »

The French have a notoriously bad taste in music?   laugh
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:03:24 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »

Actually, if you replace the "fr" with "www," you'll find the same video. Orthodox Bagpiper's link was to the French version, and that's how I found the Violet Hill video, so I cut-and-pasted from my address bar.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

The French have a notoriously bad taste in music?   laugh

Would you like some cheese with your whine?  Cheesy Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »

Let me know what you all think

I agree with Scamandrius re: the U2 Joshua Tree/ Rattle and Hum days- a completely ridiculous comparison (no offense to you, broham!).  Having said that though, I really like Coldplay's stuff.  Whenever I hear Chris Martin's voice, I'm instantly transported back to our soiret days!  (Here it comes! Cheesy) I realize Coldplay wishes they were U2, I just don't hear it (though I haven't heard the whole album).  But I'm a Beatles fan, so what do I know?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »

I agree with Scamandrius re: the U2 Joshua Tree/ Rattle and Hum days- a completely ridiculous comparison (no offense to you, broham!).  Having said that though, I really like Coldplay's stuff.  Whenever I hear Chris Martin's voice, I'm instantly transported back to our soiret days!  (Here it comes! Cheesy) I realize Coldplay wishes they were U2, I just don't hear it (though I haven't heard the whole album).  But I'm a Beatles fan, so what do I know?

You need to listen to the whole song Junior! (in an Adam Sandler voice).  Cheesy

I think Chris Martin has to be Bono's long lost son.

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 02:22:48 AM »

You need to listen to the whole song Junior! (in an Adam Sandler voice).  Cheesy

I think Chris Martin has to be Bono's long lost son.
I'm seven 'fricken years your senior! (in a Dr. Evil voice).  And Bono's long lost son?  Maybe Sonny Bono. Kiss

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

I'm seven 'fricken years your senior! (in a Dr. Evil voice).  And Bono's long lost son?  Maybe Sonny Bono. Kiss

Make that 7 1/4 years my senior bunu  Cheesy

I like your spunkiness tonight! Did you have some of Nacho's Patron? That stuff is magic! He was a little spunky himself tonight when I talked to him.

Anyway, Chris Martin is the new Bono; get used to it  Kiss

Troparion - Tone 1:
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »

Chris Martin is really trying to be the next John "Bono" Lennon.

At least he's not trying to be John "Gallagher Bros." Lennon.   Roll Eyes

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »

At least he's not trying to be John "Gallagher Bros." Lennon.   Roll Eyes
laugh I love it!

Or Mick "I'm sooo much better than John Lennon" Jagger.

There are some real nutcases who for some reason are given record deals. I have a feeling I know what that reason i$, too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:04:46 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

Even if they're not all that original, at least Coldplay have talent.  Unlike "We're bigger than the Beatles" Oasis and The Perpetually Stoned The Rolling Doobs The Rolling Stones. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:08:18 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »

Here is a good article on their new album

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/arts/music/01ligh.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

WITH its frescoed walls and waiters in white jackets, the Café Carlyle is like a Hollywood version of old-school New York sophistication.
It’s not usually a place to go looking for rock stars, but on Monday nights Woody Allen is often there, playing the clarinet with his New Orleans jazz band, and Chris Martin, the singer of the British rock band Coldplay, catches his sets when he can. At a small table just inside the door, between bites of salmon and sips of a Bellini, Mr. Martin recalled why he was initially drawn to Mr. Allen’s films. “Everyone else was either too optimistic or too pessimistic,” he said. “He seemed to have it just right.”

It makes perfect sense that Chris Martin, 31, is a Woody Allen fan. He is possibly the most self-deprecating lead singer in pop history, constantly saying things like “I don’t listen to our records because it makes me break out in tears and sweat,” and “We have a rule that only the four of us can ever be onstage because we don’t want to be upstaged by someone more attractive.” (“He’s always been like that, really,” said Guy Berryman, the band’s bassist.) On June 17, however, Coldplay will release its fourth album, “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends” (Capitol), and even Mr. Martin is having a hard time retaining his modesty about it. The release, which was co-produced by Brian Eno, marks a leap forward for the group, adding experimental textures, arrangements and structures to its music while retaining the sweeping melodies and soaring hooks at the heart of its enormous appeal.

“When you get to a fourth record, you have to be really careful about how much you sing, because people aren’t surprised by your voice anymore,” Mr. Martin said. “So you have to think of new things.”

But this is an especially charged time for Coldplay to try reinventing itself. Since the release of its previous album, “X&Y,” in 2005, the band’s record company, EMI, has been sold to Terra Firma, a private equity firm; thousands of employees have been laid off; and rumors of crisis are nonstop.

Recently it was reported that Terra Firma would be fighting to meet financial targets set by the bank that helped finance the purchase of EMI. The Times of London wrote that the performance of the new album from the label’s top-selling act would be “critical to any recovery” for the company, whose United States market share has been the lowest it has seen in years.

“Given the changes that have been made in the company, it’s important that we deliver the same service to the band that we always have,” said Miles Leonard, president for A&R labels for Parlophone Records, who signed Coldplay in 1999 and is helping oversee the new record’s global rollout. The band is doing its best to ignore the monstrous commercial pressure. (“What are we supposed to do?” Mr. Berryman asked in mock frustration. “Write poppier songs?”) But it is trying to innovate with its marketing plan.

“Violet Hill,” the dark, thumping first single from “Viva la Vida,” was offered free on the band’s Web site (coldplay.com) for a week and was downloaded more than two million times, according to the band’s representatives. The band is playing three free shows this month — one at Brixton Academy in London on June 16, one at the Espacio Movistar in Barcelona on June 17 and one at Madison Square Garden on June 23 — with tickets being given away in lotteries. (Coldplay’s first high-profile appearance for the album will take place on Sunday, when it plays “Violet Hill” at the MTV Movie Awards.)

These ideas were generated by the band; to help execute the release, Coldplay’s manager, Dave Holmes, has augmented the EMI team with a hand-picked group of consultants and advisers.

“We didn’t really know what changes were going to take place,” Mr. Holmes said, “so we needed to make sure that the team would stay consistent.”

Click on the Link for the full review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/arts/music/01ligh.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Troparion - Tone 1:
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »

What do you get when you cross Creaky Boards' "The Songs I Didn't Write" and Alizee's "Jen ai marre"?  Why, a curious gallimaufry indeed!  Viva la Vida?  More like Viva la Aper! Wink

The Claidheamh Mòr of Courteous Debate
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

It seems as though the litigiousness of copyright has caught up with the lads.
http://www.popcrunch.com/creaky-boards-coldplay-theft-the-songs-i-didnt-write-viva-la-vida-copyright-infringement/

Viva la Aper!

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »

Interesting. Creaky Boards is getting some free advertising, at least.

The Songs I Didn't Write: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UgMJBH80I

Viva la Vida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FEB45tkNs

A comparison of the two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpZPdaw8Sw&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:09:38 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »

^^Except for a bit more publicity, I doubt much will come from any lawsuit should one be forthcoming.  I must admit, though I like Coldplay, Creaky Boards is fairly talented (though neither are my genre of choice.)

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »

Well, I don't think we have a Jagger v. Ashcroft redux here. I've been exposed to a band I had not heard of previously, and I take that as a good thing. I liked their song. Maybe they'll sell a few records; that, I think, would be justice enough if they in fact wrote the song. If they stole it from Coldplay, well, their claim would be rather slimy. I think it's probably a happy coincidence. After all, there are only 13 notes, and only so many ways to arrange them.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »

Further good news for you Coldplay fans, i read in the recent Rolling Stone Magazine that Coldplay will release an EP within the next few months of tracks they weren't able to finish for their album "Viva La Vida".

As music continues to go digital, I think it would be cool to see groups release fewer songs more frequently rather than having to wait years for new material. Radio Head announced they planned on doing this. I hope this is a trend we will continue to see amongst all groups.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Tags: music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: