OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:04:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Missing Piece Meets the Big O.  (Read 2489 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: May 27, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »

I've used this short children's story for years in therapy and teaching, and I was so pleased to find an online version of it!
It is entitled "The Missing Piece Meets The Big O" by Shel Silverstein. Have a read and tell me what you think:
http://osorhan.com/bigo/index.php

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

Silverstein was such a gifted writer. He has a knack for taking complicated themes and phrasing them in a way anyone can understand. I appreciated this book. Thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:43:51 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »

I loved it! It's  been quite awhile  since the last time I read it, but this time around I thought about how this little story illustrates the importance of being a "whole" rather than a "needy" person before embarking on a relationship.  Spending time alone, developing interests, reading, enduring our share of suffering; all contribute to making us into people who are complete and who have something to share, rather than merely yearning for someone to come along and magically "complete" us.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:28:23 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:06 PM »

I especially enjoyed the part where the wedge outgrew the wheel that completed her, which led to a bitter breakup.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »

I especially enjoyed the part where the wedge outgrew the wheel that completed her, which led to a bitter breakup.

Reminds me of what I've read about women who marry much older men because they are subconsciously needing a father figure. Eventually the young woman becomes independent and breaks away, no longer needing him. Of course, this is all from a strictly secular perspective. 

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

Of course, this is all from a strictly secular perspective. 
I don't believe anything we understand about the human condition can be strictly secular. And you're absolutely right about the father figures; boys do it too with mother figures.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

My kids liked it so much they want me to keep the link!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

I think it addresses a lot of issues.
Co-dependency,
The need to learn to "roll" by ourselves and that this process is sometimes a difficult one.
Growing means facing challenges.
Growing sometimes means reducing: it "takes off our corners" and "changes our shape" to make us more able "roll".
Relationship is two whole people companioning each other, not two parts of one entity.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »

Great story.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »

Excellent.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags: Childrens Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: