OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hops Shortage Hits US Breweries  (Read 1553 times) Average Rating: 0
Jakub
Archon

« on: May 25, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »

From Yahoo News...

Hops shortage hitting US craft-breweries by Laura Zuckerman
Sun May 25, 12:54 AM ET

Like apple pie and baseball, beer has achieved favored status in the lexicon of American traditions, with US sales of the drink outstripping purchases of liquor and wine by billions of dollars.

But an international shortage of hops -- the ingredient that adds aroma, body and bitterness -- is causing prices of the agricultural commodity to soar, industry officials say.

The origins of the hops shortage are linked to an oversupply a decade ago of the agent that provides flavors in beer that range from fruity to woody, said Paul Gatza, director of the Brewers Association.

The glut sent prices plunging and caused farmers to plant fewer acres to hops. That included hops growers in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, the states that produce the commercial supply of US hops.

At the same time, excess hops were converted to an extract to allow long-term storage and a supply that only now is being depleted despite the fact that production went below usage five years ago.

Add to that what Gatza and Washington-based hops broker Ralph Olson describe as today's global hops market, where weather and other conditions that affected hops harvests worldwide ramped up international competition.

"All the sudden last year, panic hit the street," said Olson, head of Hopunion, a leading supplier of hops to the craft brewing industry.

"It was, What do you mean you don't have hops? We want hops.' International brewers came in to buy, the supply was tight and they were prepared to pay anything."

Now hops farmers in the Pacific Northwest are scrambling to boost acreage by an estimated 8,000 acres, an increase of 26 percent. It will nevertheless take several years before the additional acreage can be harvested.

Craft breweries make up 4.0 percent of US beer production by volume, but account for 1,406 of 1,449 breweries nationwide.

But with a fivefold increase over the past year in the per-pound price for some varieties of hops, many craft brewers are poised to pass on hikes to customers at the bar and in the store.

Nick Bertram has been producing beers, ales and stouts at Bertram's Salmon Valley Brewery and Restaurant in east central Idaho for 10 years.

In April, Bertram was eyeing a dwindling supply of hops for the first time in the brewpub's history.

"I was right down and couldn't get any," he said.

The crisis was averted when Bertram was among winners of a lottery sale of hops offered by a big brewery to its struggling, small-scale counterparts. Unable to obtain certain types of hops, Bertram's is among breweries that have turned to tweaking beer recipes.

The renaissance of the American craft beer industry, which was all but dismantled during the prohibition era from 1920 to 1933, has long been associated with the laidback lifestyle of the Pacific Northwest.

That is the region that gave early approval to the small, independent and traditional breweries that meet the classic definition in the United States of a craft beer business.

Today, top craft beer markets are in Oregon, Washington state and Colorado even though the industry can now track a national presence.

Steve Hindy is founder and president of Brooklyn Brewery Corp., a regional craft brewery that can boast a ranking among America's top 40 and an amber lager that is the fourth best-selling draft beer in New York City.

Hindy marked up his products, ranging from Pilsners to ales, by 5.0 percent in February when skyrocketing hops prices hit home.

The markup had virtually no impact on Brooklyn Brewery's exports to countries like England, Denmark and Sweden because of strong European currencies like the euro and the pound.

"They didn't bat an eye, the dollar is so weak," Hindy said of sales to eateries and bars in such cities as Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Gas now hops...arghh

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »

Today, top craft beer markets are in Oregon, Washington state and Colorado even though the industry can now track a national presence.
Yup, you got the first half of that statement right! Grin  Some of the best microbrews I've ever consumed (e.g., Widmer Brothers, Deschutes, BridgePort, Rogue Ales, Full Sail, etc.) are from right here in Oregon.  Rogue's Dead Guy Ale is an odd favorite during Pascha for one close friend of mine.  (Hey, he has an engineer's dry sense of humor, so what can I say?)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:24:21 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »

One of America's top craft breweries (Boston Beer Co.) gets their hops from overseas, so I'm supposing this shortage in the U.S. won't hit them as hard.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:15:39 PM »

Yup, you got the first half of that statement right! Grin  Some of the best microbrews I've ever consumed (e.g., Widmer Brothers, Deschutes, BridgePort, Rogue Ales, Full Sail, etc.) are from right here in Oregon.  Rogue's Dead Guy Ale is an odd favorite during Pascha for one close friend of mine.  (Hey, he has an engineer's dry sense of humor, so what can I say?)

Dead guy ale is one of my favorites. I brought a six pack to Pascha last year (they were gone before I had a chance to open one up!) It is very expensive (nearly $12 a six pack here in the midwest). I would love to try it on tap.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »

Dead guy ale is one of my favorites. I brought a six pack to Pascha last year (they were gone before I had a chance to open one up!) It is very expensive (nearly $12 a six pack here in the midwest). I would love to try it on tap.
And certain parts of the bottle's label actually glow in the dark.  I noticed this quite haphazardly once when I turned the lights off in my basement study without first grabbing my bottle of Dead Guy.  I could actually see the bottle to pick it up even though the basement was quite dark.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

And certain parts of the bottle's label actually glow in the dark.  I noticed this quite haphazardly once when I turned the lights off in my basement study without first grabbing my bottle of Dead Guy.  I could actually see the bottle to pick it up even though the basement was quite dark.

Mabey that explains why its $12 a six pack?  Cheesy

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »

Life without Miller...Beer

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9365198

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

And the goofy thing about this is...it's pretty easy to grow your own hops!

When I brewed beer, I was given some hops cuttings and one of my broths and I grew them. Those things would have taken over his yard if he and I weren't aggressively using them in our brews.

He was the real hophead. I would use the fresh hops sparingly, mainly for the finishing bouquet, but he would use the hops to provide a pronounced bittering effect. Of course, he also brewed (and even drank!) a beer using spruce needles and branches in an amber malt base.

Yup! The world has gone crazy when you can't find hops!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

As the daughter of a farmer, I have to say that's just how farmers think.  When a crop isn't making as much money, they ditch it for something else without thinking about the long term.  Now that it's in short supply I'm sure those same farmers are racing to plant hops again, prices will drop again, and the cycle will continue.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »

And the goofy thing about this is...it's pretty easy to grow your own hops!

When I brewed beer, I was given some hops cuttings and one of my broths and I grew them. Those things would have taken over his yard if he and I weren't aggressively using them in our brews.

He was the real hophead. I would use the fresh hops sparingly, mainly for the finishing bouquet, but he would use the hops to provide a pronounced bittering effect. Of course, he also brewed (and even drank!) a beer using spruce needles and branches in an amber malt base.

Yup! The world has gone crazy when you can't find hops!

Father Bless!

Since you have experience making beer, are there any good books you could suggest for beginners making their own beer?

Troparion - Tone 1:
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:51 PM »

A favorite of mine...

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: