OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Year long celeration ends in Jacobite Syrian Church  (Read 1735 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: October 14, 2002, 10:02:22 AM »

The conclusion ceremony of the year long programs organised by the Jacobite Syrian Church to commemorate the 100th Dhukrono of the Saintly father, "Chathuruthy Mor Gregorios Bava"

(Parumala Kochu Thirumeni), will be held with the celebration of Holy Masses at the Mulunthuruthy MarThoman Church, the home parish of Kochu Thirumeni and the nearby Puthencuriz Patriarchal Centre Chapel, on 1st and 2nd of November, 2002.

On Friday  November 1st  2002, a "Penta Mass" (Holy Qurbono by 5 prelates) will be celebrated by His Beatitude the Catholicose Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I and assisted by the Metropolitans.  The Holy Ceremonies will be followed by the consecration of the newly constructed under ground 'RETREAT CENTRE', named after Mor Gregorios Bava, which is situated in the premises of Mulunthuruthy MarThoman Church where his Holy Relics will be entombed.

On Saturday  November 2nd, at 9.00 A.M, at a specially erected 'Madbaho' (Altar) In the Patriarchal centre ground, the 100th Dhukrono of St.Gregorious will be commemorated with the celebration of Holy Qurbono by 101 priests, which will be the first of its kind in the history of the Indian Church.  His Beatitude the Catholicose of India, Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I, who is also the Metropolitan Trustee of the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church will be the chief celebrant, assisted by, the Metropolitans of the Church in India, Rambans, Corepiscopa's and Kassiso's.  Tens of thousands of people are expected to participate in the Holy Qurbono; hectic arrangements are going on for the solemn function.

On that auspicious day, after the Holy Services, keys of the Houses constructed for the poor at the "SAINT GREGORIOS  VILLAGE", which is developed by the Church in memory of Mor Gregorios Bava's 100th Dhukrono, will be handed over to the applicants by His Beatitude the Catholicose. The housing colony is situated at Mulunthuruthy, the home town of 'Chathuruthy Kochu Thirumeni'; each houses costs around Rs.50000/-, the amount has been raised through donations from the faithful of the Church.
http://www.syriacchristianity.org/Parumala5/Centenary_Celebrations_1.htm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2002, 10:09:27 AM by Nik » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 02:04:23 PM »

Thanks, Orthodoc, for the information.  Mar Gregorios is often cited as the only saint of the Malankara Church, and this is partly true.  For whatever reason, the Church in India has never been particularly enthusiastic about the canonisation of saints.  While I'm sure we have many saints in heaven praying for our Church, the number of these officially canonised I think can be counted on one hand.  But no one could resist the notion of canonising Mar Gregorios (in 1947, if I'm not mistaken).  A holy monk and bishop, a wonderworker, a pilgrim to the Holy Land (his account of his travels has been translated into English and makes for interesting reading)...he was an awesome man.  One can name churches after any saint, but to find a church named after a saint who is not either the Mother of God, Saint Thomas, Saint George, or Saint Gregorios of Parumala is a rare find indeed.  He's very popular, and works miracles still, as any number of small icons printed in newspapers in thanksgiving can attest.  I had the fortune of visiting his tomb three times, and each time I've been struck with a profound sense of the sublime.  It is one of the holiest places I have ever been to, and I count myself lucky to have been able to venerate his tomb and relics.  

Here's a rare photograph of him:

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Tags: Syriac Orthodox Indian Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: