OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Anastasia" The Ringing Cedars Series by Vladimir Megre  (Read 2801 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: May 22, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »

Has anyone here read these books? They are wildly popular in Russia/Ukraine. Some of my Russian-speaking friends have told me how powerfully compelling they find these stories. Many believe the stories to be true and  are certain that Anastasia is a real person.

http://www.ringingcedars.com/

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »

The amazon reviews are pretty dubious.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »

^^Very dubious.  But when you consider that Anastasia is a 39yr old woman raised by wild animals, but who seems capable of carrying on a conversation (apparently in Russian?) without interrupted moments of howling at the moon, this stuff seems fairly lucid (albeit in a new-agey kinda way).

“Reality, Vladimir, must be defined only through one’s self. Every Man living on the Earth today is
capable of seeing into the lives of people thousands of years ago, of looking into the future, and of creating
his own future. All have this tremendous ability within themselves. It just needs to be understood.
Once it is understood, then nobody can lead them away from the truth. People will come into harmony
with each other, and endless warfare will cease.
“A lot of efforts have been made to distort past reality. The possibility of distortion arises when Man
abandons his own reasoning powers and forms constructs of the past based on somebody else’s words
and conclusions.”

Hug a tree, have some granola and enjoy as you float right out of reality! Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:05:13 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

The "transcendant sex" part in the amazon review just sounds wacky. And when you go to the website they go out of their way to make it appear that the characters could be real without actually saying that they are.

Then there is that complete farse of Tom Brown Jr.'s her in the US. "Grandfather" wasn't really a person. He was a literary tool.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »

It looks like we're of the same opinion on this one...

I know university-educated Russians who swear that Anastasia is a real person, and that these books make more sense to them than Christianity....

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »

I was under the impression that Anastasia assumed that the real Anastasia escaped from her family's annihilation by Lenin's killing squads and lived out the rest of her life in the wilderness among the animals who protected her from Lenin.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »

It looks like we're of the same opinion on this one...

I know university-educated Russians who swear that Anastasia is a real person, and that these books make more sense to them than Christianity....

That's probably because they are seeking a spiritual experience, but they might not recognise it as that and even if they did they probably wouldn't contenance Christianity because of its "checkered" history and what are perceived as judgemental attitudes.

There is a positive aspect to any pagan belief system and C.S. Lewis considered paganism a kind of sister religion to Christianity, seeing it as a necessary link to the "myth turned reality" of Christianity. And, of course, we see that in the New Testament. St Dionysius in Acts was, before hearing the words of St Paul, a worshipper of Dionysius, the slaughtered and ressurected god of the Greeks.

Don't give up on those who we believe have gone down the wrong turning in the path, and remember just as you see deluded people believing in myth so, too, do they when they look at us. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:26:33 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »

That's true, Riddikulus! The only thing is, the one woman in particular was an evangelical Christian! Anyhow, I just wondered if anyone here had actually read these books as I haven't. Possibly it would be good to read one of them so as to better understand.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »

That's true, Riddikulus! The only thing is, the one woman in particular was an evangelical Christian!

Depending on what kind of evangelical Christian she is, she might be feeling the pinch of stark materialism that she finds within her congregation. She simply could be looking for a more robust form of mystic spirituality than the kind of intellectual assent she has experienced within a conservative religion. Many "mystics" find themselves in an arid religion and long for spiritual nourishment. I don't know that this is the case with this woman, but it's just a thought. 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:50:41 PM »

Depending on what kind of evangelical Christian she is, she might be feeling the pinch of stark materialism that she finds within her congregation. She simply could be looking for a more robust form of mystic spirituality than the kind of intellectual assent she has experienced within a conservative religion. Many "mystics" find themselves in an arid religion and long for spiritual nourishment. I don't know that this is the case with this woman, but it's just a thought. 

That sounds very perceptive to me. You could very well be right!

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »

Well, this Ringing Cedars ideology is just another pagan teaching. In other words, spiritual danger.

Don't give up on those who we believe have gone down the wrong turning in the path, and remember just as you see deluded people believing in myth so, too, do they when they look at us. 

Exactly!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:28:37 PM by Starlight » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: