Author Topic: Looking for an icon  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Oblio

• Elder
  • The Pointless One !
    • St. Innocent Orthodox Church
Looking for an icon
« on: July 18, 2003, 04:04:46 PM »
I picked up this small Diptych at St. John Maximovich bookstore while I was a catechumen and have fallen in love with it.  I found a larger copy of the icon of our Lord while in a little Russian shop in West St. Louis Co. last winter (sadly, it has closed, though I did get the icon for $10 closeout IIRC) .  I was hoping to find the matching icon of the Theotokos somewhere.  Does anyone know where I might find one ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Brigidsboy

• Elder
Re:Looking for an icon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 04:16:17 PM »
I live in San Francisco. We have 2 splendid  Orthodox bookstrores here.
I will look into it for you.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Daniel AJ

• Holy Prophet Daniel, pray unto God for us!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 07:38:09 PM »
These look like the icon's produced by Sofrino Church Factory in Russia.  

You might try  they have many icon's from Russia, some very beautiful and inexpensive (I got a large 8 x 10 of the Theotokos of the Burning Bush for $9.00 about a year ago).  Just type in "orthodox" or "orthodox icon" in the search (for a better search, click the box under search box to search in "titles and descriptions.")  It may take a while to go through them all.  Many have the "Buy it now" option.

Hope this helps, not pushing Ebay on here, but that's where I would begin searching.

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 08:54:07 PM »
That icon looks like a Vladimir icon of the Theotokos to me (see These Truths We Hold; St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, South Canaan, PA; p. 287).

Knowing that might help you in your search.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 08:55:30 PM by Linus7 »
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas