OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:44:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T---sh singer Esra Ozmen  (Read 2971 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 28, 2003, 07:07:54 PM »

I may not like what the T people did to our Church but I have to admit this T--sh singer is pretty awesome (if you like Mediterranean music)!

http://www.esra-ozmen.com

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 02:38:00 AM »

H.y g.ys!

Why  d.n't  w.  j.st  g.  H.br.w  .nd  l..v.  ..t  .ll  .f th.  v.w.ls  .n  .v.ry  p.st  w.  m.k.?

Th.t  w.y  w.  c.n  .v..d  .ff.nd.ng  th. T.rks  .nd  k..p  th.  M.ss..n.c  J.ws  h.ppy  t..!

J.hn
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 07:02:05 AM »

TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK TURK

ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL ISTANBUL
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 08:05:52 AM »

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 09:25:26 AM »

David,

Any chance of adding sound files to the site so that we could hear you give a fine rendition of this upbeat little number? I'm trying to remember who recorded this back in the 50s or was it the 60s?

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 09:53:59 AM »

They might be Giants
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 11:35:40 AM »

And I think it's newer that what you're remembering, Brigid.  Early 80s I believe.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 03:27:32 PM »

No, I'm definitely thinking of an older version on one of those big black vinyl circles we used to play at 33 and a bit r.p.m. I've discovered that the lyrics are by my own countryman Jimmy Kennedy, writer of such other classics as "South of the Border, down Mexico Way", "Red Sails in the Sunset" and the childrens' favourite "Teddy Bear's Picnic".

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 05:15:26 PM »

Brigid,

You are thinking of "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Irving Berlin, perhaps?  It is from the '20s.  

It has the same melody.

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 06:24:24 PM »

I think that Brigid is correct as I googled this

http://www.lyricsxp.com/lyrics/i/istanbul_not_constantinople_four_lads.html

with Jimmy Kennedy and Nat Simon as authors

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 10:09:10 PM »

Back to the topic at hand-

She reminds me of Fairuz, does she remind any one else (Samer - are you out there??) of the same??

Stephen Barrow

Oh BTW, yes Anastasios I like her singing a lot.

And she ain't bad on the eyes!

Some of you youngin's should think about converting her!!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 09:54:14 AM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with being Turkish, or are you bashing my Greatgrandmother???!!!   :cwm23:  Fine then, I'll just take my tainted blood & go elsewhere!
I have the cd of They Might Giants doing Istandbul Constantinople live, but unfortunately I have no idea to upload it to share with ya'll.  It has an nice, though admittedly rather LOOOOOONG sax solo.  
Ania
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 09:56:50 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
uturn

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 12:09:27 PM »

Esra Osmen:

A favorite of the lamented, but never forgotten Iranian twins, Laden and Laleh Bijani, two fragrant Persian flowers, brave and courageous, cheerful and enthusiastic, twin towers of faith, and living witnesses to liberating powers of Islam.

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
NDHoosier

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

Exiled from God's Country (North Dakota)

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 01:02:52 PM »

Islam is a liberating religion all right...

It has often liberated people's heads from their shoulders.

There ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a rider that can't be throwed.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 01:10:23 PM »

Ania,

Didn't see your post till now.  Were you seriously offended?  The spelling of "Turk" as T---k is an inside joke among some of us from probably three years ago or more.

We at OC.Net have nothing against Turks (every Turk I have met has been friendly and cool!) but when we refer to T---s we mean those who oppress the Orthodox.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
uturn

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 01:45:49 PM »

Islam is a liberating religion all right...

It has often liberated people's heads from their shoulders.

You see, Islam and Christianity do share some common practices.

I hate to remind you of your own history, but Christians refined the art of 'removing and liberating' the heads of heretics and non-Christians even before the advent of Islam. Slaughter--in the name of God--isn't the exclusive practice of Islam; you have your own bloody history to contend with.

But none of this has anything to do with or say about Ezra Osmen or the fragrant roses of Islam, the Bijani twins. And to associate these beautiful souls--for no good reason--with the baser elements of Islam is a calculated--yet base and crude--reminder of what your type of Christianity can do to  a person. You will never share the infectious courage and joy with the admiring people of this world that these two irrepressible Muslim sisters did and continue to share, even in death. Your life will never accomplish what their lives have accomplished.

Thank God, it is your religion and not mine.

Allahu akbar!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:57:45 PM by uturn » Logged

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 01:49:08 PM »

Allahu Akhbar--God is Great! But you are an agnostic?  Wink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:49:33 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 01:50:42 PM »

I do have to say, 1) Uturn you shouldn't have turned this thread about Esra Ozmen into a thread about Islam and 2)NDHoosier next time, don't take uturn's bait.

anastasios
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:51:03 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

uturn

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 02:02:00 PM »

Allahu Akhbar--God is Great! But you are an agnostic?  Wink

Good point!

"Allahu akbar?"

That's better.

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 02:42:50 PM »

Anastasios,
Definately wasn't offended.  :-)  
My Serbian friends were very shocked to find out that I have Turkish blood.  They turned it into a joke though that whenever I said anything nasty (which I do from time to time) or do anything mean, it was just the Turkish comin' out in me.  
If you knew me better, you'd know it was sarcasm.  :-)  
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
uturn

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2003, 12:14:46 PM »

Anastasios,

If there is even a shred of hope that a Muslim might very well believe that Christ is: the Crucified Lord; the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world; and the Suffering Servant of Isaiah, by whose stripes we are healed, shouldn't one have approached the the story of our two Iranian flowers with more than just sarcasm?

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2003, 01:23:55 PM »

Abdur,

First I'm not sure whom you are accusing of being sarcastic--me or NDHoosier or someone else?

Don't criticize the people here.  You know that we (me especially) have made every attempt to be nice to you.  You go back and forth and mock us behind our back on hateful Protestant forums then turn your back on them and mock them when you become Muslim again.

You may be sincere but you oftentimes come off as trolling. "Islam is liberating" is just not what you post on an Orthodox website my friend.  If you hadn't inserted that, NDHoosier wouldn't have attacked you.

We will always be here to talk to you if you are sincere and you will always be welcome to talk to us if you are sincere.  But when you make some of your more outrageous statements and offend us we will defend our religion.  We love you as a human being and hope and pray for your conversion, and will treat you as a guest, but when you are rude you deserve to be called out just like any other human being.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2003, 01:47:38 PM »

I should add to Anastasios's gracious reply to you, Abdur, that one behaves courteously when one is a guest in another's house and does not insult the host.  To continue to irk the host and denigrate his beliefs puts pressure on the host to ask such a discourteous guest to leave.

Hypo-Ortho
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: