OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radonitsa  (Read 2278 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: May 17, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »

I've been reading that it is a Slavic tradition to remember the dead by going to the cemetery on the Tuesday after Thomas Sunday. This is called Radonitsa. I have a few questions/comments on this practice.

1) I've noticed that in the Russian Orthodox section of one of our local cemeteries, the Russian faithful "pack" the cemetery on Thomas Sunday. I can only assume this is because "Radonitsa" is not a holiday in North America. Is this correct?

2) Do the Greeks have a similar practice? What about Romanians or Antiochians?

3) If a priest is asked by many families to go to the cemetery on Thomas Sunday (or any Sunday, like a Soul Sunday) what does the priest do? Does he say the Full Trisagion for the Dead over every grave? What if there are quite a few people who want this done?

Basil
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

I had an aunt who passed away last May.  Her surviving sisters went to her gravesite 3 and 9 days later with the priest to recite prayers. 

2.  I'm not aware of any Thomas Sunday commemorations in GOA.

3.  The priest would accommodate as many families as he could because most parishioners are buried at a church owned cemetery.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:21:40 AM »

Yes, the Romanians do observe this tradition, but rather on Thomas Sunday than on the next Tuesday.
They even call  Thomas Sunday "The   Pascha of the Dead".
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »

Христос Воскрес!
Christ is Risen!

We, Ukrainians, do the same thing on St. Thomas Sunday. 

We go to the gravesites of our relatives to share the Joy of Pascha and the Risen Lord with them. 

There is a Panachida performed in the Church, immediately following the Holy Liturgy, where all the names of the deceased are read and prayed for.  Then there's the mass exodus to the cemeteries. 

This can be an all-day affair.  The priest, does go from grave to grave, with the crowd of people following behind him.  It's actually quite touching. 

Once the panachidas are completed, we stay behind and share some eggs, paska bread, candies, etc. with others, in remembrance of those who have passed on.  After all, they are still a part of the "Church" even though they are no longer with us, here on Earth.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »

Воістину Воскрeс!

Pani Lizo, thank you so much for the information and for the pictures!

Love never fails.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »

Discussion about the number of bells on a censer can be found here since it is off topic. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16086.0.html

-Arimethea
Liturgy Mod

Joseph
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:21 PM »

Actually, great celebrations take place each year on Saint Thomas Sunday in South Bound Brook, NJ, the holy site of UOC-USA. In particular, the complex includes the largest Ukrainian Orthodox cemetery in USA. I would strongly anyone recommend to attend. Certainly, presence / participation is not limited to Ukrainians.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Thomas' Sunday in a village in Moldova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-QTbmhBydE
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »

^ That video reminds me of the day of the dead.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: