OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English vocabulary: Trying to find a suitable word  (Read 5964 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »

I hate it when I get mental blocks like this! I am trying to find an adjective which encapsulates the idea that the subject it so qualifies (which in this instance is a particular statement) has no meaning beyond what can be gathered from a face value consideration. In other words, I am looking for an adjective which effectively says: "there is nothing more to it than meets eye." I have already considered some obvious candidates: "plain," "simple," and "straightforward," but I am not comfortable with any of them given that they can be taken to mean something much broader than that which I specifically intend to convey.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:15:54 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »

Ingenuous?

I'm not exactly sure what meaning you're trying to convey and not convey.

Let's imagine the word you want is "bimble". Use the word "bimble" in a sentence where you would like the adjective you are seeking to appear.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »

The phrase; "Consider it at face value."

Transparent could work.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:19 PM »

Intrinsic ?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »

superficial?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »

plainspoken?

direct?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

You're right.  There is a word for this which escapes me at the moment.  However, the expression of the day, would be, "It is, what it is."  If I think of the proper term you are looking for, I'll reply again.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »

prima facie?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Sarah

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:06 PM »

How about "mere"?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »

unambiguous?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »

Does the winner get a prize?  Grin

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »

WYSIWYG?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »

Obvious?

SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

Absolute?
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »

What a cute little game i've started here! Yes, the winner gets a nice animated emoticon courtesy of stashko.  Tongue

Well, I see that I haven't been exactly clear in regard to the precise context in which I require the word in question, so I will give a specific example that will hopefully help clarify things:

Let’s say the subject of the statement I am trying to make is a comment made by a certain Sarah which reads: "Greg lent his brother John 20 dollars."

Let’s then presume that whilst most people reading this comment would not feel inclined to consider that there is anything beyond the mere fact that Greg lent his brother John 20 dollars (brothers lend money to eachother all the time, and 20 dollars is not really a big deal), that there is in fact much to infer and say about this fact given certain contextual factors: e.g. John has always refused to lend Greg any money even though he has always had the available funds, and John is a millionaire whilst Greg struggles to pay his bills.

Now, fill in the blank:

"Sarah's comment is rather telling in spite of the fact it is ostensibly ___"

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:14:44 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Sarah

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »

Sarah's comment is rather telling in spite of the fact it is . . . none of Sarah's business what either Greg or John does with his money!

Sarah's comment is rather telling in spite of the fact it is . . . gossipy.  apparent.  guileless.  unadulterated.

Guess I'm using my thesaurus a little too much!  Grin

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:49:55 AM by Sarah » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 03:07:47 AM »

Sorry, no emoticon for you! You've kind of missed the point i'm afraid.

I'm beggining to think the word i'm looking for does not exist.  Undecided

jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 03:56:57 AM »

EkristosAnesti,   Do any of these work?

unambiguous, precise, clear-cut, evident, definite, decided
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 04:50:43 AM »

innocent?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 04:51:22 AM »

Sarah's comment is rather telling in spite of the fact it is . . . none of Sarah's business what either Greg or John does with his money!

Sarah's comment is rather telling in spite of the fact it is . . . gossipy.  apparent.  guileless.  unadulterated.

Guess I'm using my thesaurus a little too much!  Grin

^^LOL

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:13 AM »

Unassuming, perhaps?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:42 PM »

What a cute little game i've started here! Yes, the winner gets a nice animated emoticon courtesy of stashko.  Tongue

Well, I see that I haven't been exactly clear in regard to the precise context in which I require the word in question, so I will give a specific example that will hopefully help clarify things:

Let’s say the subject of the statement I am trying to make is a comment made by a certain Sarah which reads: "Greg lent his brother John 20 dollars."

Let’s then presume that whilst most people reading this comment would not feel inclined to consider that there is anything beyond the mere fact that Greg lent his brother John 20 dollars (brothers lend money to eachother all the time, and 20 dollars is not really a big deal), that there is in fact much to infer and say about this fact given certain contextual factors: e.g. John has always refused to lend Greg any money even though he has always had the available funds, and John is a millionaire whilst Greg struggles to pay his bills.

Now, fill in the blank:

Brother that is funny i like it.......Ha Ha Ha....here's one for you........SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0God's Peace....Xpictoc Bockpece......
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:14:42 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »

Prosaic? Pedestrian? Banal?

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »

here's one for you........SmileyCentral.com" border="0
PIZZA!!!  Dude!  Where'd you get the pizza?  I want some! Grin
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

Dear jlerms,

Close, but not close enough unfortunately! Those terms you propose are similar to the ones I considered earlier  i.e. plain, straightforward, simple.

innocent?
Unassuming, perhaps?

These proposed terms seem more concerned with the intention underlying Sarah's comment, and as such miss the mark. The word I am looking for implies something strictly with respect to the implications arising from the comment as it stands on its own terms regardless of the intention of the one making it.

The word I am looking for is supposed to imply something to the effect of "there is nothing more to what can be inferred at face value." The mere statement: "Greg lent John 20 dollars" ostensibly lends itself to that impression.

Brother that is funny i like it.......Ha Ha Ha....here's one for you........SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0God's Peace....Xpictoc Bockpece......

No one's given a right answer yet! Though I guess everyone deserves a slice for their efforts and concern! Do you have any good drinks to go with that pizza?
Baictihy Bockrece (Hope I got that one right).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:53:06 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »

What about "per se"?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

No one's given a right answer yet! Though I guess everyone deserves a slice for their efforts and concern! Do you have any good drinks to go with that pizza?
Baictihy Bockrece (Hope I got that one right).

Come on, EA, fess up! You have done this to torture the logophiles of the forum. I fell asleep thinking about this!!! Grin

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »

What about "per se"?

When all else fails...use Latin!  Wink

Dumtaxat factum? (Meaning "Not more than the deed")
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:04:33 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »

Natural.  Huh

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »

How about:
   ...fact, factual, reality, actuality, phenomenon, or the TRUTH?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

Sorry all, i'm afraid that i've unwittingly lead you all on a hopeless quest for a word that simply does not exist, however appropriate it may seem that such a word should exist!

Game over. A slice of pizza for you all for your kind willingness to help:

SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:39:22 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Sarah

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

When all else fails...use Latin!  Wink

Dumtaxat factum? (Meaning "Not more than the deed")

At least what little bit I remember from H.S.!   Grin

Here are some more options:  "virtually," "specifically," or "period."  Hope they aren't repeats!

Are there any more clues you could give us as to what you want?

************************************************************************************
You posted right before I did.  I do like pizza though, so thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:41:29 PM by Sarah » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »

I hate it when I get mental blocks like this! I am trying to find an adjective which encapsulates the idea that the subject it so qualifies (which in this instance is a particular statement) has no meaning beyond what can be gathered from a face value consideration. In other words, I am looking for an adjective which effectively says: "there is nothing more to it than meets eye." I have already considered some obvious candidates: "plain," "simple," and "straightforward," but I am not comfortable with any of them given that they can be taken to mean something much broader than that which I specifically intend to convey.

Depends on the "particular statement" you are trying to describe. Perhaps you'd get a better response if you were to share it? Anyway, if the statement has certain logical or rhetorical characteristics, you may well be looking for this adjective: Tautological.

While "tautology" has very regulated meanings in rhetoric and in specific types of formal (and symbolic) logic, it can be used to describe any statement that is obviously or inherently true, but which doesn't actually tell us anything really useful.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »

The key seems to be the word "ostensibly". 

ostensibly;
adverb
On the surface: apparently, evidently, externally, ostensively, outwardly, seemingly, superficially. Idioms: on the face of it, to all appearances.

Are you trying to say that the comment that Sarah made is telling in spite of her apparent, contrived or otherwise, lack of guile. 

In other words, is she making the comment to let the facts be exposed (ie dropping someone in it) while retaining the air of unintention?

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »

Depends on the "particular statement" you are trying to describe. Perhaps you'd get a better response if you were to share it?

I gave an example of such a statement later on:

Let’s say that the subject of the sentence I am trying to make is a statement made by a certain Sarah which reads: "Greg lent his brother John 20 dollars."

Now, fill in the blank:

Anyway, if the statement has certain logical or rhetorical characteristics, you may well be looking for this adjective: Tautological.

While "tautology" has very regulated meanings in rhetoric and in specific types of formal (and symbolic) logic, it can be used to describe any statement that is obviously or inherently true, but which doesn't actually tell us anything really useful.

Good suggestion, but unfortunately it's not what i'm looking for either. In considering the example I gave above, assume that it is not at all obvious to anyone that Greg ever lent 20 dollars to his brother. Sarah announces this news to a completely unexpecting audience.

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »

The key seems to be the word "ostensibly". 

ostensibly;
adverb
On the surface: apparently, evidently, externally, ostensively, outwardly, seemingly, superficially. Idioms: on the face of it, to all appearances.

Are you trying to say that the comment that Sarah made is telling in spite of her apparent, contrived or otherwise, lack of guile. 

In other words, is she making the comment to let the facts be exposed (ie dropping someone in it) while retaining the air of unintention?

Assume Sarah has the best of intentions (actual and apparent). Sarah did not intend for the statement to be "ostensibly ____", the statement just happens to be that way. Assume, for example, that Sarah herself is unaware of the relevant contextual factors surrounding the statement in question.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:41:48 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Sarah

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

If none of the suggestions fits the bill, maybe you're right that there isn't a word.  Maybe it's a phrase you're looking for.

If those to whom Sarah makes this announcement can infer the deeper meaning, then Sarah is either oblivious or obtuse or devious.  Maybe she knows what a stink it will cause by "innocently" revealing what the brothers may not have wanted known.  Maybe she really doesn't realize she is spilling the beans since it's such an innocuous sentence.  Maybe by the way she says it, her audience will find intrigue where there is none or dismiss it as not newsworthy.

I know you said the game is over, but this has piqued the curiosity of at least one poster!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »

If none of the suggestions fits the bill, maybe you're right that there isn't a word.  Maybe it's a phrase you're looking for.

If those to whom Sarah makes this announcement can infer the deeper meaning, then Sarah is either oblivious or obtuse or devious.  Maybe she knows what a stink it will cause by "innocently" revealing what the brothers may not have wanted known.  Maybe she really doesn't realize she is spilling the beans since it's such an innocuous sentence.  Maybe by the way she says it, her audience will find intrigue where there is none or dismiss it as not newsworthy.

I know you said the game is over, but this has piqued the curiosity of at least one poster!

A nice smiley for you ......you did try ........this whole tread is so funny i like it...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:56:09 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Sarah

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »

Thanks for the smiley!  This has been a fun exercise.   Grin
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 01:16:02 AM »

opaque.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: