OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:41:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me with my article  (Read 1854 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: May 18, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

As some may be aware, I (with the needed help of many others) am currently working on a website on the Oriental Orthodox tradition. What I have in mind with this website is something sort of along the same lines as the general idea encompassed by www.orthodoxinfo.com(minus the polemics).

Given the many similarities, however, between the EO and OO traditions, I would like to make a point of accounting for those similarities (even if just very briefly) since they may be of interest to some readers. So, on to my specific request:

At the moment I am working on an article concerning the joy of the Angels on account of the Resurrection of Christ. The fact this theme is oft-repeated in OO Resurrection hymns and prayers prompted me to consider and discuss its implications and significance within the context of what can best be described as a short 'contemplation'. I was wondering whether this theme frequently arises in EO hymns and prayers also? If so, I would like to even just make a footnote, after my general statement regarding how widely referenced the theme is in OO hymns and prayers, briefly noting that such is similarly the case in the EO tradition whilst also briefly referencing even just 3-4 instances in which the theme is to be found in EO hymns and prayers.

Anyone willing to help me out?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:04:28 PM by username! » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »

As some may be aware, I (with the needed help of many others) am currently working on a website on the Oriental Orthodox tradition. What I have in mind with this website is something sort of along the same lines as the general idea encompassed by deleted link -username!(minus the polemics).

Given the many similarities, however, between the EO and OO traditions, I would like to make a point of accounting for those similarities (even if just very briefly) since they may be of interest to some readers. So, on to my specific request:

At the moment I am working on an article concerning the joy of the Angels on account of the Resurrection of Christ. The fact this theme is oft-repeated in OO Resurrection hymns and prayers prompted me to consider and discuss its implications and significance within the context of what can best be described as a short 'contemplation'. I was wondering whether this theme frequently arises in EO hymns and prayers also? If so, I would like to even just make a footnote, after my general statement regarding how widely referenced the theme is in OO hymns and prayers, briefly noting that such is similarly the case in the EO tradition whilst also briefly referencing even just 3-4 instances in which the theme is to be found in EO hymns and prayers.

Anyone willing to help me out?

Can you give an OO example?

Is it something like the EO, in the procession around the Church on the Paschal Vigil, singing "Thy Resurrection O Christ Our Savior, the Angels in Heaven sing, enable us on Earth to glorify Thee in purity of heart"?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:28:47 AM by username! » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »

I don't remember hearing any "direct conversation" during Pascha between angels in the Liturgy, though there was a multitude of hymns regarding their emotions to the situation (i.e., "The angelic host was filled with awe when it saw thee among the dead," or "Angels in heaven sing praises of your Ressurection, O Christ our Savior.")

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »

Can you give an OO example?

Is it something like the EO, in the procession around the Church on the Paschal Vigil, singing "Thy Resurrection O Christ Our Savior, the Angels in Heaven sing, enable us on Earth to glorify Thee in purity of heart"?

One basic example, from the Armenian Rite:

"Today our Lord is Risen; let us dance with the angels. With a triumphant song let us bless and exalt Him with the angels forever."

So how would I reference the example you've given? Simply as: 'See the hymn chanted during the Paschal Vigil procession'? Does this hymn have a specific name?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »

I don't remember hearing any "direct conversation" during Pascha between angels in the Liturgy, though there was a multitude of hymns regarding their emotions to the situation (i.e., "The angelic host was filled with awe when it saw thee among the dead," or "Angels in heaven sing praises of your Ressurection, O Christ our Savior.")

Forget the Angelic dialogue issue I raised in a previous thread. References as you and ialmasry have provided thus far reflect the kind of thing i'm looking for as far as my current inquiry is concerned. But I need indications as to how to properly reference them as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:00:31 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:07 PM »

"Angels in heaven sing praises of your Ressurection, O Christ our Savior. Make us worthy on Earth to glorify you in purity of heart."

- For this, a brief search showed that it's called Tin Anastasin, located within the Midnight Resurrection Service.

"The angelic host was filled with awe when it saw thee among the dead. By destroying in the power of Death O Savior, thou didst raise up Adam and save all men from Hell."

- Called the Resurrectional Evlogitaria, also known as Blessed Art Thou, O Lord

Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find any more references.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

Geez...what an underwhelming response...

Thanks Simayan, your help is much appreciated. The second reference, however, concerns 'awe' rather than 'joy'; the focus of my article is on the joy of the heavenlies.

I am guessing this theme doesn't receive as much attention as it does in OO hymns and prayers? I've collected about 17 references from OO sources thus far (excluding Ethiopian hymns/prayers since I am still waiting on a friend to get back to me on the Ethiopian tradition).

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »

As some may be aware, I (with the needed help of many others) am currently working on a website on the Oriental Orthodox tradition. What I have in mind with this website is something sort of along the same lines as the general idea encompassed by deleted link in post body to another messageboard/forum -Username!(minus the polemics).

Hi username! The website I referred to is not a messageboard/forum; it's simply an EO "information database."

www.orthodoxinfo.com -sorry about that -username!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:05:16 PM by username! » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »

Geez...what an underwhelming response...

Thanks Simayan, your help is much appreciated. The second reference, however, concerns 'awe' rather than 'joy'; the focus of my article is on the joy of the heavenlies.

I am guessing this theme doesn't receive as much attention as it does in OO hymns and prayers? I've collected about 17 references from OO sources thus far (excluding Ethiopian hymns/prayers since I am still waiting on a friend to get back to me on the Ethiopian tradition).

A lot of the hymns on joy it seems are less on the angels rejoicing but on the angels telling mankind to rejoice (perhaps as it should be).  An example would be the Theotokion for Pascha "The Angel Cried":

The Angel cried to the Lady full of grace
Rejoice! Rejoice! O pure Virgin!
Again, I say rejoice!
Your Son is risen from His three days in the tomb!
With Himself He has raised all the dead.
Rejoice, rejoice, O ye people!
Shine! Shine! Shine, O new Jerusalem!
The glory of the Lord has shown on you.
Exult now, exult and be glad, O Zion.
Be radiant, O pure Theotokos,
In the Resurrection, the Resurrection of your Son

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »

That's a beautiful hymn.  I think it is track 22 of this CD:

http://www.seraphim6.com/rejoice.html

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »

A lot of the hymns on joy it seems are less on the angels rejoicing but on the angels telling mankind to rejoice (perhaps as it should be).  An example would be the Theotokion for Pascha "The Angel Cried":

More references, from Pascha (all taken from the anastasis.org.uk website):

Ode 4. Irmos.
Let the Prophet Avvakoum, inspired by God, keep the divine watch with us, and show forth the radiant Angel, who with resounding voice declares, ‘To-day is salvation for the world, for Christ has risen as omnipotent’.

Ode 5. 2nd Troparion. This one works for your initial question
With torches in our hands let us go out to meet Christ as he comes from the grave like a bridegroom, and with the festive ranks of Angels, let us together feast God’s saving Passover.

3rd "Paschaline" Hymn, done both at Vespers and Matins.
v. So shall the wicked perish at the presence of God; and let the just be glad.

The myrrh-bearing women at deep dawn came to the grave of the giver of life. They found an Angel sitting on the stone, and he addressed them and said, ‘Why do you seek the living with the dead? Why do you mourn the incorruptible as though he were in corruption? Go, proclaim it to his Disciples.

From the end of the Catechetical homily of St. John Chrysostom (read at every Paschal Liturgy)
"Christ has risen and you are abolished! Christ has risen and the demons have fallen! Christ has risen, and Angels rejoice! Christ has risen, and life has found freedom! Christ has risen, and there is no corpse in the grave! For Christ, being raised from the dead, has become the first fruits of those who sleep. To him be glory and might to the ages of ages. Amen."

The Ypakoï. 4th Tone.
When they who were with Mary came, anticipating the dawn, and found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre, they heard from the Angel: Why do you seek among the dead, as though he were mortal man, Him who abides for in everlasting light. Behold the grave clothes. Go quickly and proclaim to the world that the Lord has risen, and has put death to death; for he is the Son of God, who saves human race.

From the Vespers on Pascha Evening, also called "Agape Vespers":

3rd Vesperal Hymn:
With Archangels let us sing the praise of the Resurrection of Christ; for he is the Redeemer and the Saviour of our souls; and with dread glory and mighty power he is coming again to judge the world which he fashioned.

4th Vesperal Hymn:
An Angel proclaimed you, the crucified and buried Master, and said to the women; ‘Come, see where the Lord was lying. For he has risen as he said, as all-powerful’. Therefore we worship you, the only immortal. O Christ, giver of life, have mercy on us.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:08:49 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:31 AM »

The Angel cried to the Lady full of grace
Rejoice! Rejoice! O pure Virgin!
Again, I say rejoice!
Your Son is risen from His three days in the tomb!
With Himself He has raised all the dead.
Rejoice, rejoice, O ye people!
Shine! Shine! Shine, O new Jerusalem!
The glory of the Lord has shown on you.
Exult now, exult and be glad, O Zion.
Be radiant, O pure Theotokos,
In the Resurrection, the Resurrection of your Son 

The above hymn is the Katavasia of the 9th Ode (traditionally themed to the Theotokos) of Pascha, which is also used in place of "It is truly meet" in Divine Liturgy.  It should look like this (because what is above is actually both verse and hymn):

v. The Angel cried to the Lady full of grace Rejoice! Rejoice! O pure Virgin! Again, I say rejoice! Your Son is risen from His three days in the tomb! (The following is not included in the Greek tradition of the verse:) With Himself He has raised all the dead.

(This line is not included in the Greek of the hymn):Rejoice, rejoice, O ye people!
Shine! Shine! O new Jerusalem! The glory of the Lord has shown on you. Exult now and be glad, O Zion. Be radiant, O pure Theotokos, In the Resurrection of your Son.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »

Excellent, thank you everyone (ialmasry, Simayan, and cleveland) for your wonderful help!

From the end of the Catechetical homily of St. John Chrysostom (read at every Paschal Liturgy)
Christ has risen, and Angels rejoice!

I was aware of St John's paschal homily from earlier and have in fact used this quote as the title of my article (except I used a translation that uses the preposition "is" instead of "has")

A lot of the hymns on joy it seems are less on the angels rejoicing but on the angels telling mankind to rejoice (perhaps as it should be).

Yes, we have many references to that effect as well, and I have used them in the course of my article since they are certainly relevant to the joy of the angels (at the very least on account of the basic implication that it's the very joy of the angels that compels them to encourage us to rejoice in the first place).

I agree with Salpy that that was a beautiful example you gave. As far as my investigation reveals (and it has its definite limitations), we have no liturgical references to any angelic proclamation to the Theotokos in particular insofar as the Resurrection is concerned. Curiously, though, a Coptic and Armenian hymn/prayer both depict the Archangel Michael telling the myrrh-bearing women: "Rejoice, for I know you seek Jesus Who was Crucified. He is not here, for He is Risen, as He said." What's so curious about that? Well, just compare it with the Archangel's response as it is narrated by St Matthew the Evangelist.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:51 AM »

Excellent, thank you everyone (ialmasry, Simayan, and cleveland) for your wonderful help!

If you'd like, I can get you more hymns.  There is a different set of Paschal hymns for each day of the week following Pascha (each in a different Tone), so there is the potential for finding a number of other good examples if you'd like me to look.  I may just do it anyway, but that depends greatly on my schedule (I have a funeral to chant for today in addition to my normal work stuff).

I was aware of St John's paschal homily from earlier and have in fact used this quote as the title of my article (except I used a translation that uses the preposition "is" instead of "has") 

I figured you had already found this quote, but I included it to be thorough.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:51:23 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

Some more material, all from Sunday resurrectional material chanted throughout the year (most of which is also done during Bright Week):

Apolytikion.  3rd Mode
Let everything in heaven rejoice, let everything on earth be glad, for the Lord has shown strength with his arm; by death he has trampled on death; he has become the first-born of the dead; from the bowels of Hades he has delivered us; and granted the world his great mercy.

Ypakoï.  (in the set for 3rd Mode)
Causing amazement by his appearing, and refreshment by his words the dazzling Angel said the myrrh-bearing women, ‘Why do you seek the living in a grave? He has risen, emptying the graves. Know that the unchanging has changed corruption. Say to God: How fearful are your works! For you have saved the human race.’

5th Vesperal Hymn - 4th Tone
Angels and mortals hymn your Rising on the third day, O Saviour, through which the ends of the inhabited world were filled with light, and we were all redeemed from the slavery of the foe, as we cry: O life-giving, all-powerful Saviour, save us by your Resurrection, only lover of mankind.

4th Apostichon, 4th Tone.
Verse 3: Holiness befits your house, O Lord, to length of days.
Reaching your grave in tears the women looked for you; and when they did not find you they cried aloud with grief and lamentation: Alas, our Saviour, King of all, how were you stolen? What sort of place holds your life-bearing body? But an Angel answered them and said: Do not weep, but go, proclaim that the Lord has risen, granting us joy, as he alone is compassionate.

2nd Troparion of Ode 8, Tone 4.
An Angel white as snow, blazing with the unapproachable light of the Resurrection, appeared to the women and cried out: Why do you seek the living as a mortal in the tomb: Christ has truly risen. To him let us cry: All you works, praise the Lord.

2nd Troparion of Ode 9, Tone 4.
When your Disciples saw your opened tomb and the grave clothes, that had held God, lying emptied by your Resurrection, they said with the Angel: The Lord has risen indeed.

5th Vesperal Hymn, Tone Plagal of the 1st.
Let us glorify Christ the author of our salvation; for by his rising from the dead, the world has been saved from error; the choir of Angels rejoices, the error of demons flees, fallen Adam arises, the devil has been overthrown.

The Ikos.  Tone Plagal of the 1st.  (This shows how the women responded to the Angels)
The women, when the heard the Angel’s words, cast away their lamentation and becoming joyful, trembling saw the Resurrection. And see, Christ drew near them and said: Rejoice! Take courage, I have overcome the world and freed the prisoners. Hurry then to the Disciples, take them this message: I am going before you to preach in the city of Galilee. Therefore we all cry to you: Save us, O Lord!

Resurrection Aposticha.  Mode Plagal of the 2nd.  (This one has already been mentioned as one of the hymns chanted on Pascha)
Angels in the heavens, Christ Saviour, hymn your Resurrection; grant that we to who are on earth may with pure hearts glorify you.

5th hymn of the Lauds, Tone Plagal of the 2nd.
Lord, great and fearful is the mystery of your Resurrection; for you came from the tomb like a bridegroom from his marriage chamber, having abolished death by death, that you might free Adam; therefore Angels dance in heaven and humankind on earth glorifies your compassion towards us, O Lover of mankind.

3rd Vesperal Hymn, Tone Plagal of the 3rd (also called "Grave Tone").
The Apostles marvelled when they saw the Creator’s Rising and cried aloud the angelic hymn of praise: This is the glory of the Church, this is the wealth of the Kingdom. O Lord, who suffered for us, glory to you!

1st Kathismal Hymn of Matins, Tone Plagal of the 3rd.
When Life had been laid in the tomb and a seal laid on the stone, soldiers guarded Christ as a sleeping King and Angels glorified him as immortal God; while women cried aloud: The Lord has risen, granting the world his great mercy.

I have, of course, omitted the numerous references to the angels proclaiming the good tidings, announcing the resurrection, and sitting at the Tomb.

---------------------
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 02:41:44 AM »

Thank you, Cleveland!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: