OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commemoration of saints at dismissal  (Read 965 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »

At the dismissal ("May Christ our True God who arose from the dead...")of Great Vespers and the Liturgy for a typical Sunday, I've noticed our priest usually commemorates only one saint, especially if that saint had three or four prosomia in his/her memory at "Lord, I have Cried."  Is this the typical practice?  I ask because when we have another priest to serve Vespers or the Liturgy when our priest is out, he mentions almost every saint commemorated in the Menaion for that day along with who they were, when they lived.  Sometimes, it just seems too much.  Is there even a typical practice?  The substitute priest serves Liturgy according to the Slavic Typicon as we follow the Greek Typicon.  Is there a difference in the dismissal according to those two traditions? 

Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »

We use the Slavic, and we typically commemorate the Theotokos with Ss. Joachim and Anna, Seraphim of Sarov, Tikhon, Vladimir, John Kucharov, Thomas (our parish's patron), and the saint of the day.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

he mentions almost every saint commemorated in the Menaion for that day along with who they were, when they lived.  Sometimes, it just seems too much.  Is there even a typical practice? 

Yes it is Typical. Some priest choose to mention every saint because this is the only time most people in a parish will hear who the Saints of the day are. It is not a Slavic vs. Greek practice but more of a pastoral choice.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »

At the dismissal ("May Christ our True God who arose from the dead...")of Great Vespers and the Liturgy for a typical Sunday, I've noticed our priest usually commemorates only one saint, especially if that saint had three or four prosomia in his/her memory at "Lord, I have Cried."  Is this the typical practice?  I ask because when we have another priest to serve Vespers or the Liturgy when our priest is out, he mentions almost every saint commemorated in the Menaion for that day along with who they were, when they lived.  Sometimes, it just seems too much.  Is there even a typical practice?  The substitute priest serves Liturgy according to the Slavic Typicon as we follow the Greek Typicon.  Is there a difference in the dismissal according to those two traditions? 

I'm going to echo Arimethea - the "typical" is to only mention the names of saints "celebrated" that day - meaning there were hymns chanted in their honor.  However, since most people are not present for the reading of the full list of saints in the Synaxarion during Matins, I know a good number of priests who will read a more or less full list whenever they do dismissals.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: