OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 01:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope's Astronomer: Alien life 'would be part of God's creation'  (Read 2929 times) Average Rating: 0
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« on: May 16, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »

Pope's astronomer insists alien life 'would be part of God's creation'

By Peter Popham in Rome
Thursday, 15 May 2008

The Vatican's official newspaper has endorsed the possibility that the universe could contain intelligent life beyond Earth, while insisting that aliens would be "our brothers" and "children of God" as much as human beings are.
 The Pope's astronomer, José Gabriel Funes, a Jesuit priest, told L'Osservatore Romano that there would be nothing surprising about the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrials.
"Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures on Earth, so there could be other beings created by God [beyond it]," he said. The interview suggests that the Church's hierarchy may be paving the way to showing that Pope Benedict XVI is more open to the ideas of modern science than he has previously seemed to be.
Pope Benedict has spoken in favour of "intelligent design" in the past and has damned evolutionary ideas that leave no room for God.
Fr Funes, in the interview, admits that, for him, evolution is a given. He also said that he believed in the Big Bang theory as the most likely explanation for the origin of the universe, and that the Bible should not be held to account for its lack of scientific accuracy. "Fundamentally," he said, "the Bible is not a book of science... It's a love letter written by God to his people in the language of two or three thousand years ago... So one cannot ask the Bible for scientific responses."
 The existence of alien beings would not create a problem for believers, he insisted, "because one cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God... They would be part of creation."
 Pope Benedict has reminded believers that "Revelation teaches us that [man] was created in the image and likeness of God", and that "man is the only creature on Earth that God has wanted for his own sake".

Source: The Independent

...I for one, welcome our new alien overlords Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »

Wow...if the RC church backs out of its pro-creation stance...I wonder what that is going to do for education here in the US. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »

Wow...if the RC church backs out of its pro-creation stance...I wonder what that is going to do for education here in the US. 

The RC Church has been saying evolution is ok for a long time now.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:27:01 AM »

The existence of alien beings would not create a problem for believers,
I still think it may create a theological problem about the Fall and Redemption, and in fact I brought this up in another thread over 2 years ago:
Here's something to speculate about.

If there is extraterrestrial life with which Earth has never had contact, would it:

A) be subject to the conditions of the Fall, and

B) would it be redeemed through the Incarnation, Death and Resurrection of Christ on Earth?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »

I still think it may create a theological problem about the Fall and Redemption, and in fact I brought this up in another thread over 2 years ago:

I agree it is a concern. Romanides wrote on this somewhere though actually I believe. Does anyone have the link?

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:28 AM »

Personally I am with Fr Seraphim Rose on this: alien encounters heretofore appear to be demonic deception. If, however, there are real aliens it won't hurt my faith one bit.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

Bah...I'll just sic some JWs on them...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »

I still think it may create a theological problem about the Fall and Redemption....

...perhaps, if one assumes that the Fall and Redemption refer to biologically observable events.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »

Is that why I keep hearing the X Files theme echoing in my head ?

Maybe the rumor is true, Reptilians are amongst us...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »

I dont believe extraterrestrial life has visited us, but i am open to the idea that somewhere out there it may exist.  The human race namely the transgression of Adam and Eve is the cause for the fall of the entire creation.  So yes the incarnation, death, and ressurection of Christ would redeem the entire creation as well whether on Earth or not.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »

The RC Church has been saying evolution is ok for a long time now.

You know...ya grow up traditional hard core orthodox and things like this just escape you...that's unbelievable.  Please forgive me for my ignorance. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

You know...ya grow up traditional hard core orthodox and things like this just escape you...that's unbelievable.  Please forgive me for my ignorance. 
Does the Orthodox Church believe in a literal six-day Creation between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago?  I don't find the idea so horrifying myself, but then I grew up as a Protestant Evangelical.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

Theistic evolution is more or less the norm within Roman Catholicism.  In school, you are taught evolution during science, then in religion class, Theistic evolution.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
St. Christopher

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »

The Orthodox leadership hasn't given an official teaching about origins.  People are free to believe anything from belief in a literal six-day creation to theistic evolution.  As a warning, some people on OC.net will make fun of you if you make any statements that remotely suggest you take Genesis literally.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »

Does the Orthodox Church believe in a literal six-day Creation between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago?  I don't find the idea so horrifying myself, but then I grew up as a Protestant Evangelical.

Some churches do.

Theistic evolution is more or less the norm within Roman Catholicism.  In school, you are taught evolution during science, then in religion class, Theistic evolution.

Thanks fruil!  that actually makes a lot of sense.  I forgot about Theistic evolution...

The Orthodox leadership hasn't given an official teaching about origins.  People are free to believe anything from belief in a literal six-day creation to theistic evolution.  As a warning, some people on OC.net will make fun of you if you make any statements that remotely suggest you take Genesis literally.

Yah...no ecumenical council has discussed this exact issue.  Mostly because evolution hadn't yet existed in the ancient world.  But this is also a half truth/more complicated idea because St. Basil had theories of evolution as well as other fathers.  Sorry...not thinking clearly tonight...more later...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Euthymios

Jurisdiction: UNCHURCHED

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »

It's all part of the Freemasonic consparacy against the truth. Eventually it will lead to aliens being our true creators. Satan has always wanted to take the glory away from God and put it on himself.

CLICK HERE to see why this poster is being moderated.

Love one another earnestly from the heart --1Peter.1:22
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

It's all part of the Freemasonic consparacy against the truth.
Amazing how much influence over the world a bunch of guys running around in goatskin aprons can actually have.

Eventually it will lead to aliens being our true creators. Satan has always wanted to take the glory away from God and put it on himself.
But then, who created the aliens?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:21 PM »

Better keep an eye on your cat.
The Iambic Pen

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »

As a warning, some people on OC.net will make fun of you if you make any statements that remotely suggest you take Genesis literally.
Yes, I have observed this.  Some Catholics on CAF will do the same thing.  This fairly common Catholic/Orthodox attitude to the Creation story is one thing that has taken some getting used to for me.

It's all part of the Freemasonic consparacy against the truth. Eventually it will lead to aliens being our true creators. Satan has always wanted to take the glory away from God and put it on himself.
Yes, the Freemasons.  They are also responsible for all earthquakes on the planet.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »

Oh ok cool fair enough. Please tell me where the Illuminati fits in your scheme of things?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »

If there are aliens, did God create them?

The answer is of course in our creed  Cool
Quote from: The Nicene Creed
We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
(emphasis mine)

Christians have always believed that God has created EVERYTHING. Therefore I put it to you, that the Church has always believed that if there are aliens, then they are creations of God. (Pope gets this one right)  Grin

A much more interesting question in my mind is: Do they get salvation trough Jesus?

God became man (human) in order to save humanity, but what about the aliens?
Must God become alien in order to save the aliens or does the God-man Jesus cover them also?

THAT is what I would like to know!  Grin Grin
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »

Yes, I have observed this.  Some Catholics on CAF will do the same thing.  This fairly common Catholic/Orthodox attitude to the Creation story is one thing that has taken some getting used to for me.

If/when you become Catholic/Orthodox, don't let that stop you. You are free to believe what you like. Myself, I'm an agnostic about it.
The Iambic Pen

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »

Myself, I'm an agnostic about it.
Me too.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

As a warning, some people on OC.net will make fun of you if you make any statements that remotely suggest you take Genesis literally. 

And some people will applaud you for it.  Yes, there is a wide variety of opinions on this board.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »

A question for the OCnet Enquirer...if man came from apes how many ribs does a male and female ape have ?

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: