OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vestments Question  (Read 3112 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »

Why do OCA priests have humps at the top of their vestments, whereas other Orthodox priests (including ACROD priests) do not?  How did the humps get on the vestment? 
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »

Ever been in Russia in winter?  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »

Christ is Risen!

The OCA descends from the Russian tradition, so the priests wear the traditional Russian vestments.  My understanding (someone feel free to correct me where I'm wrong) is that the "hump" (I like this term laugh ) is for practical purposes- to protect the head from the cold... same reason for the onion dome-- to help the snow fall from the roof.

Truly He is Risen!
Presbytera Mari

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

The differences in vestments are merely a small traditions difference.  I've heard about a dozen different legends as to why high back vestments were developed.  All sound like neat stories and it is possible no one knows the real reason or the reason was lost.  Being an OCA priest doesn't necessitate wearing high back vestments, I know OCA priests who don't own even one.  And yes, high back phelons are a Russian small tradition.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:37:49 PM by username! » Logged

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »

What does the "hump" actually consist of in Russian vestments? Is it simply a raised back? How does it stay up?
The snow reason would make sense with onion domes, and I'd never thought of that coming from a Mediterranean background. 

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:02:07 AM »

I read somewhere that the raised back was to prevent people from focusing on the person of the priest...if this is true, i do not know...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »

I read somewhere that the raised back was to prevent people from focusing on the person of the priest...if this is true, i do not know...
I like the "shield against the cold" explanation as the original reason.  Maybe later the vestment feature had some spiritual symbolisms attached to it by the pious.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:49 AM »

What does the "hump" actually consist of in Russian vestments? Is it simply a raised back? How does it stay up?
Think of it as a rigid collar raised to about six inches above the base of the neck and shielding the entire back of the priest's neck.

A few examples from the OCA web site www.oca.org:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:53:47 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:48:16 AM »

The Ukrainians use both styles....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 03:20:50 AM »

The snow reason would make sense with onion domes, and I'd never thought of that coming from a Mediterranean background. 

In my priest's phelon the high back is a thick plastic piece sewed in and these are directly from Russia with love.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 03:21:11 AM »

The Ukrainians use both styles....

Yes they do.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »

Is that a priest up there with a shaved head and no beard? Shocked  Is he an army chaplin, or what is the reason for this? First time I've ever seen that. I've never seen a priest without a long beard-never mind with  a shaved head!!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »

Is that a priest up there with a shaved head and no beard? Shocked  Is he an army chaplin, or what is the reason for this? First time I've ever seen that. I've never seen a priest without a long beard-never mind with  a shaved head!!!
According to the OCA photo gallery from which I gleaned the photo in question, that photo was taken of Command Chaplain Rev. Eugene Lahue in Kabul, Afghanistan.  Shaved head?  Probably a combination of male pattern baldness and military haircut regulations.  And I do know from personal experience that U.S. military regulations, unlike those of other nations' armed forces, forbid the wearing of a beard.

Regarding beardless priests, the modern proliferation of Orthodox priests who shave themselves clean is, at the least, one of the controversies facing the Church today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:17:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

According to the OCA photo gallery from which I gleaned the photo in question, that photo was taken of Command Chaplain Rev. Eugene Lahue in Kabul, Afghanistan.  Shaved head?  Probably a combination of male pattern baldness and military haircut regulations.  And I do know from personal experience that U.S. military regulations, unlike those of other nations' armed forces, forbid the wearing of a beard.

Regarding beardless priests, the modern proliferation of Orthodox priests who shave themselves clean is, at the least, one of the controversies facing the Church today.

It's rather jarring to see bearded laymen  receiving a blessing from a beardless priest!  But if he is a military chapain, hopefully this is the only reason for the beardlessness. It's very sad to imagine that there is a "proliferation" of beardless Orthodox priests. I'm thankful this isn't so in my jurisdiction (even deacons are bearded!). I hope we continue to maintain the old paths.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:55:57 PM by Rosehip » Logged

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »

I've seen beardless priests, as well as ones with short hair.  It doesn't make any difference to me.  Personally, I'm much more concerned with his character than I am with facial hair.  You can have priests who have short hair and no beard who can be very holy, and you can have some with hair halfway down their backs and a long beard who may not be holy at all.  There are priests (mission priests for example) who have to work secular jobs in order to make enough money to support their families, so they can't have really long hair and beards. 
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »

I've seen beardless priests, as well as ones with short hair.  It doesn't make any difference to me.  Personally, I'm much more concerned with his character than I am with facial hair.  You can have priests who have short hair and no beard who can be very holy, and you can have some with hair halfway down their backs and a long beard who may not be holy at all.  There are priests (mission priests for example) who have to work secular jobs in order to make enough money to support their families, so they can't have really long hair and beards. 

I agree that the beard and long hair are merely externals and that what's in the heart is what truly counts, but all the same, the bearded priesthood  is something i've always identified with Eastern Orthodoxy. I know many clergy who have secular jobs (even one deacon who is a lawyer) and they all have beards.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:16:05 PM »

I closed this thread since it was turning into the old beard vs. non-beard discussion. There are other threads for that topic on here so if you wish to continue this discussion then please take it there.

-Arimethea
Liturgy Moderator

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

In keeping with arimethea's advice, here is an excellent place to rehash the old "beard vs. non-beard" discussion:  Beards and Tradition
Tags: vestments clerical dress 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: