OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teen pregnancy pact?  (Read 2621 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: June 20, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »

Now this is weird.  17 girls are pregnant at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, Massechusetts.  Apparently half of them have confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their children together.  The superindendent for the school suggests that these girls may be looking for a way to boost their self-esteem.  Umm... there are easier ways to do that.  Story here.

I'll be interested to see a follow-up to this story when these girls realize what a hard path they've chosen.  I'm all for babies since I have a 7 month old myself, but it's not an easy job and it's not always fun, either.  Eek.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »

And if it wasn't disturbing enough... "One of the fathers 'is a 24-year-old homeless guy,' Sullivan told the magazine."

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

This happens more than you'd think. Girls with low self-esteem often resort to pregnancy as a way of proving that they are adults. Yes, there are easier ways to do that, but you remember being a seventeen-year-old. They don't think.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »

This happens more than you'd think. Girls with low self-esteem often resort to pregnancy as a way of proving that they are adults. Yes, there are easier ways to do that, but you remember being a seventeen-year-old. They don't think.

The Devil's Advocate in me thinks that these girls were trying to get pregnant while remaining Virgins, mocking the Christian Faith in the process.  Granted, I did not see Juno.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

The Devil's Advocate in me thinks that these girls were trying to get pregnant while remaining Virgins
Well, I don't think having sex is a good way of attaining virginity, so I can't see how you arrive at this.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »

Well, I don't think having sex is a good way of attaining virginity, so I can't see how you arrive at this.

I can use my imagination typing this message to think how these girls could become pregnant without having intercourse.  Use imagination to figure out how can a girl become pregnant without intercourse.

Article on ways a girl can become pregnant without sex
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:48 PM »

I can use my imagination typing this message to think how these girls could become pregnant without having intercourse.  Use imagination to figure out how can a girl become pregnant without intercourse.

Article on ways a girl can become pregnant without sex

Fascinating, yet it still begs the question: what makes you think the girls ytterbiumanalyst is talking about want to have children while remaining virgins and thereby mock the Christian faith?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:40:05 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »

Fascinating, yet it still begs the question: what makes you think the girls ytterbiumanalyst is talking about want to have children while remaining virgins and thereby mock the Christian faith?

Again, I have no evidence to support speculation.  Arguing from logic won't help me.  Forgive me for I haven't known better today than to post on topics which I have no idea about.   Cry
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »

Yes, there are easier ways to do that, but you remember being a seventeen-year-old. They don't think.

Hey! I take offense to that! Cheesy

Though sometimes I think I'm the only one who does. Hah.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »

^LOL!  Well... some 17 year olds think.  I know I sure didn't when I was 17.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

We haven't established what they're thinking yet.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

^LOL!  Well... some 17 year olds think.  I know I sure didn't when I was 17.
Well, they do think better than sixteen-year-olds, who in turn think better than fifteen-year-olds. That's something to be thankful for, at least. That, and that most seventeen-year-olds eventually turn out all right, sometimes in spite of their best efforts to the contrary. Wink

Really, though, if you want to see humanity at its finest, watch a young person on the verge of adulthood, striving to be an equal with all other people, to contribute to the world at large and to her own peers especially--and yet held back by her own limitations, unable to experience the world as it truly is. When I've become frustrated by dealing with children, I can only think of how terribly frustrating it must be to be a child, to want so badly to do things that are simply beyond one's capability. There are no bad kids: all children want to push the limits of their own abilities, but they do not understand why those limits are in place, and what lies beyond them. They want to experience such things for themselves, despite the warnings of adults stupid enough to cross them when we were children. Sometimes the only way is to let them fall and get hurt, and hope that's enough for their children not to make the same mistake. Cry

Sometimes I think it's pretty hard being an adult, too.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »

The town of Gloucester, MA has scheduled an emergency town meeting on Monday to discuss why 17 teenagers have become pregnant while debunking claims of a pregnancy pact.  From the Boston Globe, Source:

School counselors, teachers and families of students the principal said made a pact to get pregnant and have babies together have no information to back the claim, the mayor of Gloucester said Sunday.

Mayor Carolyn Kirk plans to meet Monday with school, health and other local officials after Gloucester High School Principal Joseph Sullivan was quoted by Time magazine saying the girls made such a pact.

The meeting will discuss the alarming rate of teen pregnancy. Seventeen girls in the high school became pregnant this year -- four times the usual number. The girls are all 16 or younger, and nearly all of them sophomores.

Kirk told The Associated Press that Sullivan has told officials in this hard-luck New England fishing town that he can't remember his source of information.

"The high school principal is the one who initially said it, and no one else has said it," Kirk said. "None of the counselors at the school, none of the teachers who know these children and none of the families have spoken about it.

"So, my position is that it has not been confirmed," she said.

The Associated Press could not immediately locate a home phone number for Sullivan. A message was left Sunday at the principal's office.

City and school officials in this city of about 30,000 about 30 miles north of Boston have been struggling for months to explain and deal with the pregnancies, where on average only four girls a year at the 1,200-student high school become pregnant.

Just last month, two officials at the high school health center resigned to protest the local hospital's refusal to support a proposal to distribute contraceptives to youngsters at the school without parental consent.

The heavily Roman Catholic town, which has a large Italian and Portuguese population, has long been supportive of teen mothers. The high school has a day care center for students and employees.

Tags: pregnancy teenagers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: