OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:31:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eucharist Spirituality?  (Read 1240 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: May 15, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

I would like to ask about Eastern Orthodox Christians and their approach to the Eucharist. First, do Eastern Orthodox Christians practice a strong Eucharistic devtions that are analogous to Catholicism. I know that they don't usually practice a form of Eucharistic adoration but do EO Christians go to EO Churches to be with Jesus in the Eucharist? Do they pray to him in the Eucharist? Is there a great EO saint who's spirituality is particularly Eucharistic?
Thanks to you all,
Christopher

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »

Our beliefs about the Eucharist are certainly more similar to the Catholics than to the Protestants, but unfortunately I'm not really sure how to address your concerns. We don't use any of the language you have used to describe the Eucharist, and I'm having a hard time translating. Perhaps one of our posters who has been a Catholic will be able to shed some light on this.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:29:22 PM »

The Eucharist is a foretaste of Paradise. It is the central point to which all the activity of the Church is directed because it is the real unity of the Church. By partaking in the Eucharist, we become one in Christ with one another and with all who have gone before us in the Church and all who will come after us. The Eucharistic "Elements" are treated with the respect due to the Real Presence of Christ, but there isn't a tradition of "Devotion to the Eucharist" whereby the Eucharistic Elements themselves become an object of worship in the Eastern Orthodox Churches (perhaps there is in the Western Rite Orthodox Churches, I don't know).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:37:43 AM »

In the "Way of the Pilgrim" the pilgrim mentions that he is planning to visit a sick person who will be receiving Communion at home in order "to pray in the presence of the Holy Gifts". This is the only allusion to this I have ever come accross in the EO church.

Proverbs 22:7
Tags: Eucharist 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: