OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Romanian Evangelicals  (Read 7429 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »

I've also seen a Romanian translation of Matthew Gallatin's "Thirsting For God in a Land of Shallow Wells".
I hope not.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

I've also seen a Romanian translation of Matthew Gallatin's "Thirsting For God in a Land of Shallow Wells".
I hope not.
Of course not.  Wouldn't want the craddles to drink too deeply in a Land of deep wells.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

I hope not.
What's the problem? Seems to be a decent book by a former Evangelical pastor who became Orthodox. And I#ve seen the Romanian translation for sale in Suceava.
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »

Lets not forget the 50+ years of Communism when religion was under attack in Romania. So abortion and the ilnesses of today are in part result of attack on religion. We are comming back to God but it will take some time. I remember my grandparents praying before meals at nights and so. Other generation.You are doing well being Orthodox because is the Church established by Jesus and you are closer to Jesus here not because Romania is doing good or bad. Romania is under attack because it offers people both baptism and Holy Communion and the sick angel does not like that.

And again sacraments are more important than behaviour and in Eastern Orthodox Church you have best sacraments. Good behavior without baptism can not open door to heaven and good behaviour without Holy Communion can not open door to eternal life on Earth.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:21:23 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »

I hope not.
Is it that bad? Sophia bookstore doesn't have it, but it's on their site. Apparently it was printed in 2005.

Edit: It has good reviews on Amazon..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:49:37 AM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 02:56:47 AM »

Lets not forget the 50+ years of Communism when religion was under attack in Romania. So abortion and the ilnesses of today are in part result of attack on religion.

Romania is not the USSR. Ceausescu had good relation with the church, and abortions actually were banned during his rule. Only after the end of communism, those great, free, modern democrats legalized abortion in Romania.
Clare G.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »

Ceausescu had good relation with the church.
Tell that to Father George Calciu. Or rather, as he is no longer with us, read
Father George Calciu: Interviews, Homilies, and Talks (ISBN/SKU: 9781887904216)
(available from http://holytrinity.anthology.com/Product.aspx)

Ceausescu believed Fr George to be his greatest personal enemy.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »

Well, he certainly had good relations with the hierarchy, fr. George notwithstanding.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31:26 AM »

Lets not forget the 50+ years of Communism when religion was under attack in Romania. So abortion and the ilnesses of today are in part result of attack on religion.

Romania is not the USSR. Ceausescu had good relation with the church, and abortions actually were banned during his rule. Only after the end of communism, those great, free, modern democrats legalized abortion in Romania.
To be honest, I don't know too many Romanians personally, but the few that I do know, I wouldn't want in the same room if this topic were to come up.
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »

I'd say that Ceausescu was a nationalist. So Orthodoxy was good, as it was 'Romanian' as long as the church didn't step on his toes. My father was a teacher. And the teachers in my village were expected to go to church on Sundays and identify which children went to church so they would be 'explained' the uselessness of religion.
Of course there was a part of the hierarchy in good relations with Ceausescu. They were, after all, planted by the Securitate.

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Tags: Evangelical Christianity Romanian Orthodox 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: