OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:46:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Masturbation  (Read 2827 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: July 17, 2003, 10:08:27 PM »

Would the health effects justify it?

http://wral-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt=itemDetail&Item_ID=101902&site_cat_id=1

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 11:39:52 PM »

I warned you about that Barcardi 151 it would give you...........hallucinations.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 04:09:29 AM »

Strangely enough I came across a much longer account of this bit of research yesterday and now of course I can't find it Sad

I'll carry on looking and if it can be found I'll post it

well this wasn't the one I was looking for - but it will do for starters
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993942
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 04:20:32 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 09:31:16 AM »

Absolutely not.

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 09:45:29 AM »

If God gives you cancer, thank Him.  Don't think that a sin can keep you from getting cancer if it's His will.  Keep in mind that God punishes those He loves, and that He doesn't punish people twice, so if someone is going to be punished in eternity, often He does not punish them here, unless it is to give them opportunity to repent.  So the way of sin often looks easier, since Christiaintiy is full of trial to perfect us, it is the narrow way, not the broad way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 09:45:42 AM »

While I know that Bobby probably was half interested in the article and half interested in stirring up trouble, I wonder if this is another one of those studies that didn't reach any real conclusions but which the news media picks facts out of and then creates a position.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 11:19:52 AM »

Right, Dustin. This study contradicts another study done on the same subject. That is certainly a red flag. And if this is the only study done, then the results need to be replicated. I would be interested to hear what Keble has to say about the statistics Smiley.

I would like to add that if people can find any "legitimate" reason to abandon God they will.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 11:21:21 AM by Frobisher » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 11:23:38 AM »

Yeah I think that killing people makes me more healthy.  Can I have a license for that? LOL

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 11:41:26 PM »

The fasting from food that the monks do isn't great for their health, they could be healthier if they ate better, but they choose it because their spiritual health is so much more important, has so much longer lasting consequenses.  They'll have glorious bodies soon, so what sense is there in making these ones as fit as possible?  Likewise we need to fast from sin, even if it's not the best for these bodies, spiritual health is much more important.  And this really isn't even convincing evidence that it's better for the bodies.
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 10:02:42 AM »

Even if we take the research results for granted (which I would not, since this study admittedly contradicts a similar study, and only offers guesses as to what physical mechanism causes masturbation to allegedly be beneficial to health), it's probably (heatlh wise) just a case of stealing from Peter to give to Paul.

Even if there were some health benefits in one area, there are certainly health problems in other areas created by chronic masturbation and sexual fixation.  This is besides the fact that "health" should not be narrowly understood as the body, but as the whole person (including their psychological and social well being.)  Taking that position, the total benefit of habitual masturbation (which is what the article is recommending, citing men who masturbate five times a week - almost daily) is either nil, or in fact detrimental.

Totally above this, though connected to the psychological ramifications to be sure, is what the moral/ascetic teachings of Christ demand of us, if we wish to save our souls.  As is quite clear, very often to do the work of salvation is to put one's physical well being/comfort in jeopardy.  If martyrdom (losing one's life for the Gospel...which certainly is the end of all physical health to be sure) is at one end of the spectrum, then we shouldn't be surprised if lesser martyrdoms are to be found in our life, which while contributing to our spiritual good, may cost us temporally.

Seraphim

moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 09:41:13 AM »

I'm sure the serpent would have said to Eve: "We've done a study and found that eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil lowers cholesterol and improves circulation.  You should add it to your diet."

http://www.sexhelp.com
Tags: sin masturbation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: