OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:55:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popes celebrating Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or St. Basil  (Read 3018 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »

I'm curious if any Roman Catholic Pope has celebrated (not observed the Eastern Orthodox celebration of the Liturgy) the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or St. Basil at either the Vatican or any other Catholic church in the world (whether indoors or outdoors - doesn't matter).  These would be Liturgies performed in place of the typical Roman Catholic Papal Mass.  My gut feeling is no and I performed some inconclusive research a while ago.

Has a Pope ever officiated at a Divine Liturgy with Eastern Catholic clergy (e.g. in Poland, USA or anywhere else)?
stosh

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »

I believe Pope John Paul II celebrated the Divine Liturgy when he was in Ukraine seven years ago.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »

I have a dvd of the pope standing there at a St. John Chrysostom Eastern Catholic liturgy at St. Peter's in Rome. I can remember him saying only a few words then a homily then he abruptly walks out afterwards and they carry on into the triple litany.  This was Pope John Paul 2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:13:54 PM by username! » Logged

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »

Pope Blessed John XXIII and Pope John Paul II (eternal memory) both personally celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom with the Melkites and Ukrainians, respectively.  Blessed John XXIII wore Byzantine vestments using the papal tiara as his mitre. Pope John Paul II wore Latin vestments. Popes will also attend Eastern Liturgies and preside from the choir while others celebrate. A picture of Pope John Paul II celebrating is at this site:

http://rumkatkilise.org/byzpope.htm

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
griego catolico

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »

Blessed John Paul II celebrated or presided at 6 Divine Liturgies during his pontificate:

July 10, 1988: Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine-Ukrainian rite for the Millennium of the Baptism of Saint Vladimir, Grand Duke (Pope was main celebrant.)   Video. (Note: It erroneously states the liturgy is from 1996.)

August 18, 1991: Divine Liturgy celebrated outdoors at the Shrine of Our Lady of Máriapócs, Hungary (Pope was main celebrant.) Photo and article.  

July 7, 1996: Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine-Ukrainian Rite on the 400th anniversary of the Union of Brest.  (Pope was main celebrant.)  Video.  

October 27, 1996: Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine-Ruthenian rite on the occasion of the 350th anniversary of the Union of Uzhhorod (Pope presided, but departed after he gave the homily.)

June 25, 2001: Divine Liturgy in Byzantine rite at Chayka Airport, Kyiv (Pope presided, gave homily.)

June 27, 2001: Divine Liturgy in Byzantine rite with Beatifications - Hippodrome, Lviv. (Pope presided, gave homily and beatified 28 Greek Catholics.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:53:08 AM by griego catolico » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: