OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:14:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kallistos Ware, The Orthodox Way  (Read 7968 times) Average Rating: 0
polaris

Faith: Roman Catholic (latin)

« on: May 13, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

Hello I talked to my local Orthodox priest, and they are just starting a review or study, of the Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos Ware.  I'm going, and I have ordered it, but I would just like to know if anyone has heard of this book, and do you think it is a good book.  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:30:37 PM by polaris » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »

It's the one that sealed the deal for me; I had read Church by Bp. KALLISTOS and found it satisfying intellectually, but Way pulled me in by way of desire.  I wanted to be in a faith that believed and confessed what that book said.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

Hello I talked to my local Orthodox priest, and they are just starting a review or study, of the Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos Ware.  I'm going, and I have ordered it, but I would just like to know if anyone has heard of this book, and do you think it is a good book.  Thanks

The book is excellent.  It is a great introduction to the heart of the Orthodox Christian Theology.  It is both a book on theology and spirituality, in orthodoxy the two are kind of intertwined.

High recommend this book.

I personally prefer this book over the Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:03:42 PM by Irenaeus07 » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »

I also highly recommend this book, and I feel it is more helpful than Bp. KALLISTOS' perhaps more famous The Orthodox Church

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »

"The Orthodox Church" is great for histories and doctrines.  "The Orthodox Way" is great for spirituality and theology.  While I have to read "The Orthodox Way" in little bites instead of all at once, what I've read so far is full of wonderful things.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »

The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way are essentially the cornerstones of all catechumen classes of those who are native English speakers. One provides basic doctrine and history to ground the person in what they are seeing and hearing liturgically, and the latter delves more into the mystical nature of the Faith.

Both are tremendously good reads - Fr. Schmemann and Fr. Meyendorff come in close after.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »

And the great thing is both are usually found at Barnes and Nobles, a store found seemingly everywhere these days.

polaris

Faith: Roman Catholic (latin)

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »

And the great thing is both are usually found at Barnes and Nobles, a store found seemingly everywhere these days.

Most of the time, you are right, that is until a priest starts a book study on it, and than you miss it by four hours. laugh   I have to wait till Friday, but it only cost twelve dollars so I am happy, I spent 30.00 on my Ott and I do not even want to admit how much I spent on my Patrology set by Quasten set only to find problems with it later hehehehe. But such is life  Smiley
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:34:49 AM »

This book along with "The Orthodox Church" by the same author seems to un-officially be the Orthodox pre-catachumen to catachumen book. It is written by a convert (High-Church Anglican) also which may also appeal.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:35:11 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Tags: Metr. Kallistos Ware 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: