OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 11:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop Daniel, consecrated yesterday as a new bishop for the Ukrainian Orthodox  (Read 5075 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: May 11, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

Yesterday, 10 May 2008 Archimandrite Daniel Zelinsky was consecrated to the Holy Episcopate at St. Vladimir Cathedral Ukrainian Orthodox, Parma, Ohio.  God grant many years to His servant, Bishop Daniel, m'nohaya lita Blahaya Lita!  AXIOS! 
http://www.uocofusa.org/

JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

God grant you many years Holy Father

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »

многе године и многаја љета аксиос! аксиос!аксиос!......Мир Божији.....Христос Воскресе,,Воистину Боскресе......SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:11:19 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »

Please post photographs and news reports as they become available.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »

Many years!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

From reading this church's web site, I gather that this is the Ukrainian Church under the omiphorion of Constantinople.  Am I correct?

May God grant His Grace, Bishop Daniel, many years!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »

Eis polla eti despota!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

Christ Is Risen!

Here's a link to our Church's official site with details and photos of this joyious event:
http://www.uocofusa.org/news_080512_1.html

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

Христос Восркес!

PeterTheAleut, you are correct in the jurisdiction.

It was an amazing event.  The Consecration took place in Parma, Ohio.  There were representatives from all over the country and the world!

I am truly blessed to have been able to attend such a glorious event.  I still have a grin plastered on my face, days later. 

People at work have asked what happened to me over the weekend that I seem so happy!

I took hundreds of photos.  (Thank God for digital cameras!)  Once I have a chance to go through them I will be happy to post them.

Many Years to Bishop Daniel!
Mnohaya Lita!
 Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

I was hoping to go, but alas fatigue kept me in the house that day.  My dad went, and was definitely moved by the experience.  He was a little disappointed that there weren't more non-Ukranian clergy there (he said he was one of only 3 or 4 Cleveland-area Priests who weren't Ukranian in attendance).  Of course, there were 70+ priests there in addition to the half-dozen bishops...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »

My priest was there and served at the Vespers on Friday, Fr. Roman.  I stood home to serve Obidna on Sunday.  Wish I could have been there.  Bishop Daniel is a wonderful person and will make a fantastic Bishoop.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »

I was hoping to go, but alas fatigue kept me in the house that day.  My dad went, and was definitely moved by the experience.  He was a little disappointed that there weren't more non-Ukranian clergy there (he said he was one of only 3 or 4 Cleveland-area Priests who weren't Ukranian in attendance).  Of course, there were 70+ priests there in addition to the half-dozen bishops...

Is there a very large Ukranian Orthodox presence in Ohio?  Assuming that the majority of the 70+ priests there were Ukranian, that would seem to indicate that there is.

Cleveland, why do you think that more non-Ukranian Orthodox did not come out?  Was Bishop MARK of the Antiochians present?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:55:59 PM »

Is there a very large Ukranian Orthodox presence in Ohio?  Assuming that the majority of the 70+ priests there were Ukranian, that would seem to indicate that there is.

It's hard to say that there is a large Ukranian presence anywhere in the U.S. if one uses GOA/OCA/AOA standards.  There is a sizable community in Cleveland, however the majority of those 70+ priests traveled from all over the country, and some from overseas.

Cleveland, why do you think that more non-Ukranian Orthodox did not come out? 

Amongst the clergy?  They probably either (a) had other things going on, or (b) were only getting their first full day of rest since Pascha.  My dad wishes more would come, though.  We can't even begin to fathom national administrative unity when we don't localize it to begin with.  Cleveland isn't too bad - active clergy brotherhood, pan-Orthodox efforts, and the like - but it still isn't where it needs to be (but I dare say no place in the US is yet).

Was Bishop MARK of the Antiochians present? 

No.  IIRC, there were other things going on that day that needed his attention.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

May God grant him many years! Mnohaya Lita!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »

He was a little disappointed that there weren't more non-Ukranian clergy there (he said he was one of only 3 or 4 Cleveland-area Priests who weren't Ukranian in attendance).  Of course, there were 70+ priests there in addition to the half-dozen bishops...

Maybe no invitation was sent?

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »

Maybe no invitation was sent? 

My dad had gotten a formal invitation; that doesn't mean they got to everyone, though.

---------------------
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

I am truly blessed to have been able to attend such a glorious event. 

So was I. Bishop Daniel is a wonderful person, totally dedicated to missions and charity. I know him for a number of years now, and I always admire of his erudition and kind nature. Axios!
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:41 AM »

Best wished to Bishop Daniel From Archdiocese of Pennsylvania of the Amercain Orthodox Catholic Church Holy Synod of North America.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

Here are a few pictures from the glorious event.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »

Best wished to Bishop Daniel From Archdiocese of Pennsylvania of the Amercain Orthodox Catholic Church Holy Synod of North America.

Father Paul Andrew

Dear Father, please note that the new bishop, is a Bishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA.  I have never heard of the jurisdiction you mentioned.

So was I. Bishop Daniel is a wonderful person, totally dedicated to missions and charity. I know him for a number of years now, and I always admire of his erudition and kind nature. Axios!

Does this mean that Bishop Daniel was a monk or priest in the USA for many years and was thus known to the people?  There is not a good biography of him on the church web site, unfortunately.

A number of years ago I met Fr. Andriy Partykevich when he was in Toronto speaking at a conference.  I just wondered why he was never elected a bishop.

Orest
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:01 PM »

Does this mean that Bishop Daniel was a monk or priest in the USA for many years and was thus known to the people?  There is not a good biography of him on the church web site, unfortunately.

Yes, this is the case. His Grace was born in Ukraine, in the city of Ivano-Frankivsk. His mother was able to attend the concentration to the Holy Episcopacy. I spoke to her in Parma - she is also an extremely nice person. Initially, Bishop Daniel was an Eastern Rite Catholic Deacon, a celibate, who converted to Orthodoxy and joined the ranks of UOC-USA in 2000. In 2001, he was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Archbishop Antony and shortly after that Father Volodymyr (his name at that time) took a monastic tonsure with the name Daniel. He served at Saint Andrew's Memorial Church in South Bound Brook, NJ and at Holy Ascension in Clifton, NJ, (where Father Mitred Protopriest Jakiw Norton serves now), then again in South Bound Brook. Also, he served as a Chaplain in the U.S. Army (after training in Fort Worth). Bishop Daniel handles several responsibilities for a few years - Editor in Chief of Ukrainian Orthodox Word, Dean of Students of Saint Sophia Seminary, Director of the Office of Public Relations of UOC-USA. In those positions, still being a priest, not a hierarch yet, Father Daniel frequently traveled to parishes as a preacher and a confessor. Father Hieromonk Daniel has being elevated to the rank of the Archimandrite and nominated to the Holy Episcopacy at XVIII Sobor Convention of UOC-USA in October 2007, held in South Bound Brook, NJ. I also had an honor to be present there.
The new Hierarch completed undergraduate studies at Ivano-Frankivsk Catholic Seminary. He continued education at Catholic University of America, in Washington, DC. Also, Bishop Daniel holds Masters from University of Balamond, Lebanon, an educational institution, affiliated with Antiochian Patriarchate. The Bishop earned the Doctorate in Ministry at Pittsburgh Theological Academy in 2007.
We are really blessed to see him being a Hierarch now!!! Bishop Daniel is fluent in at least (4) languages: English, Ukrainian, Polish and Russian. Fluent to the level of the absence of an accent in all of those listed languages. Very friendly and spiritual. Bishop Daniel always proactively supports new missions, enjoys talking to cathecumens and recent converts, etc. Always pays attention to every person. Also, Bishop Daniel has a record of leading a number of charitable trips to Ukrainian orphanages for disable children.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »

Bishop Daniel holds Masters from University of Balamond, Lebanon, an educational institution, affiliated with Antiochian Patriarchate. The Bishop earned the Doctorate in Ministry at Pittsburgh Theological Academy in 2007.
So does this mean he is a St. Stephen's Program Bishop?

Joseph
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »

I am not sure if St. Stephen's program is the only way for the Masters from University of Balamand. Possibly yes. If so, Vladyka Daniel would be probably the first graduate of St. Stephen's in Episcopacy.

In any case, it was only a portion of Bishop Daniel's education. He had Bachelors earned in Ukraine and Masters from Catholic U prior to this, and the Doctorate later.

I know a number of people, who went to St. Stephen's or who study there now and they have a very good opinion about the program. Interesting and clear. It becomes more and more popular in UOC-USA.
Tags: Bishop Daniel Ukrainian Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: