OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bread & Wine after Communion  (Read 1741 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 17, 2003, 02:15:54 AM »

Just another question regarding Communion.  We have bread and wine after Communion in the Russian Orthodox Church.  Are you supposed to drink the wine first, or eat the bread first?

Whatever the answer is, what then is the reason for taking the bread before the wine, or wine before the bread (if that makes sense)?  Please excuse my ignorance.

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 02:38:40 AM »

Just another question regarding Communion.  We have bread and wine after Communion in the Russian Orthodox Church.  Are you supposed to drink the wine first, or eat the bread first?

Whatever the answer is, what then is the reason for taking the bread before the wine, or wine before the bread (if that makes sense)?  Please excuse my ignorance.

You are talking about the "zapivka," Katherine.  I've followed what most others have done, and that is to have a sip of the warm wine mixed with a little water from the "zeon" cup first.  This is, I presume, to ensure that we swallow the Eucharist completely.  Then the first thing we eat following the reception of Holy Communion is the blessed bread.  In the Greek practice there is no zeon cup, but communicants take a piece of the blessed bread to eat immediately after receiving Communion.  Does this help?

Hypo-Ortho
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: