OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:15:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creed Chanted?  (Read 1738 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: May 09, 2008, 10:31:04 PM »

I'm reading Abbe Guette's book The Papacy.  In one section he writes about the Creed in the West and how it was being "chaunted."  He writes of this as though it were an inovation; whereas in the East the Creed was "recited."  Can anybody shed some light on this for me?  At the Eastern churches I've been to, the Creed is sometimes recited, sometimes chanted.  The Orthodox Church I attend now (ACROD) it is chanted, and the Ruthenian Catholic church I used to attend also chanted it.  Do other Orthodox Churches chant the Creed?   
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »

The congregation recites the creed in both English and/or Greek at nearly every GOA church I've attended.

Creed is sung in the one OCA and one Antiochian church that I've attended.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »

normal Slavic practice is to chant the Creed and Lord's Prayer (usually the whole congregation), while both are normally recited in Greek practice.  Allow for variability in parishes (e.g. SolEX01's Antiochian example above).
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »

In my OCA paeish, we normally sing the creed but if the choir is sparse we sometimes chant it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

I'm reading Abbe Guette's book The Papacy.  In one section he writes about the Creed in the West and how it was being "chaunted."  He writes of this as though it were an inovation; whereas in the East the Creed was "recited."  Can anybody shed some light on this for me?  At the Eastern churches I've been to, the Creed is sometimes recited, sometimes chanted.  The Orthodox Church I attend now (ACROD) it is chanted, and the Ruthenian Catholic church I used to attend also chanted it.  Do other Orthodox Churches chant the Creed?   

It is a parish by parish situation as to whether it is chanted or recited.  I've heard it sang say in Slavonic and then recited in English.  Even in one parish it may be chanted one Sunday and then the next Sunday a cantor/choir director might be out of town and the person filling in might just have it recited.  Or in a highly Choral setting where the choir does most of the singing they might recite the Creed so everyone does so together because they haven't found a congregational piece or who knows,  really my long point is that there are limitless variables as to why a parish may or may not chant the Creed. 

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »

OCA parish
we recite the creed and sing/chant the  Lord's Prayer

Once in a blue moon the choir sings the creed (personally I don't care for it -- nor singing the Our Father -- but so what, I get over it)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:28:12 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

OCA parish
we recite the creed and sing/chant the  Lord's Prayer

In our ACROD parish, sing both.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »

In Finland, both the Lord's prayer and the creed are sung.
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »

In the "Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America" (formerly the Ruthenian Metropolia), the Creed is often recited in order to shorten the length of the liturgy.

Christ is Risen!  Indeed He is Risen!

U-C
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:56:37 AM »

In our ACROD parish, sing both.

In our OCA parish, we sing both. About the only thing that is recited is the prayer of preparation (St. John Chrysostom). And as EofK said, when the choir director is unable to lead us and the choir is sparse, we will sometimes recite the creed together. I have to say that I prefer the sung version.  Smiley

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tags: The Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: