OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:19:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The non-Catholic counterfeit Vatican II sect  (Read 3530 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: May 08, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »

I recently received spam mail to this link:
http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/

As far as I can tell, it is a "True Catholic" group that considers post Vatican II Roman Catholicism to no longer truly be Catholic.

From an Orthodox perspective, this "news" seems to be about 908 years too late.  Undecided
Several "faults" they find in RC are pretty much the same faults that Orthodoxy sees in RC... only this group is obviously failing to see the bigger picture.

May they be brought into the fullness of Truth.  May they find the True Faith.
+Lord have mercy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:59:06 PM by _Seraphim_ » Logged

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

There are several groups of Roman Catholics who believe that there has been no true heir to St. Peter since Vatican II, hence they are called sedevacantists.  This group appears no different than the Lefebrevists (sp.) or even the SSPX (Society of St. Pius X).  These small, but very vocal minority, are demanding a repeal of Vatican II and as much as the current pope has been doing much to go back towards Roman CAtholicism's Orthodox roots, Benedict XVI has plainly spoken that he will still continue to implement Vatican II's decrees.  So, these groups will probably not be reconciled with the pope anytime soon.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »

Seraphim, one problem with those groups (from your perspective):

Eastern "Orthodoxy" is an illogical farce, which rejects the clear teaching of Scripture and the fathers on the Papal Primacy, and which causes those who accept it to truly wind up believing in no dogma at all.  That’s why Pope Leo XIII says those who reject one dogma reject all Faith.  I guess the fact that E. Orthodoxy does not -- and cannot -- really believe in any dogmatic councils (as shown above) is why it’s so appealing to so many: it’s provides the comfort of Protestantism, yet the appearance of ancient tradition, at the same time the feel of liturgical piety, with the illusion of hierarchical authority.h

By the way, I think we agree that the post-Vatican II sect is a huge manifestation of evil at the very least, a Counter Church of the Devil.  Well, the post-Vatican II sect loves Eastern Orthodoxy.  That should tell you something.  If E. Orthodoxy were true, the post-Vatican II antipopes would hate it.  The post-Vatican II antipopes, whose mission from the Devil is to embrace all the major breaches of God’s truth in history (the pagan religions, the Islamic religion, the heretical sects and the E. Orthodox schism) reaches out to and wants to unite with E. Orthodoxy (and Protestantism) because the Devil knows that E. Orthodoxy was one of those major movements of rejection of God’s truth by which he has ensnared millions of souls.

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/refuting_eastern_orthodox.html

They are very anti-Orthodox and see Rome's increasing embrace of episcopal collegiality (seeing the pope as more primus inter pares than absolute monarch) as heresy.

The SSPX, (in irregular canonical situation with Rome but not in schism) and the sedevacantists SSPV and CMRI are also very distrustful of ecumenism with the EO.

In most ways, they are further from EO than the authentic Catholicism of Benedict XVI.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

If E. Orthodoxy were true, the post-Vatican II antipopes would hate it.
And they call us illogical....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »

I recently received spam mail to this link:
http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/

As far as I can tell, it is a "True Catholic" group that considers post Vatican II Roman Catholicism to no longer truly be Catholic.
I am not sure if they are the true Catholics, since there is a different true Catholic Church which has Pope Pius XIII as Pope:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Catholic_Church
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:29:37 PM »

I am not sure if they are the true Catholics, since there is a different true Catholic Church which has Pope Pius XIII as Pope:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Catholic_Church

Aren't these claims ludicrous as a Roman Catholic is distinguished by a belief that the Roman Pontiff is universal and supreme ruler of the church? So how can you create a sect holding Roman Catholic beliefs?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »

Aren't these claims ludicrous as a Roman Catholic is distinguished by a belief that the Roman Pontiff is universal and supreme ruler of the church? So how can you create a sect holding Roman Catholic beliefs?

If I understand their logic (which is from an opinion of Cardinal Robert Bellarmine from around the 17th century):

Pope is infallible & this infallibility is guaranteed by HS
Therefore, if Pope says something ex cathedra that is heretical, he is not actually a Pope

Also, the claim is that John XXIII was a Mason and thus was not eligible for Papal election.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »

If I understand their logic (which is from an opinion of Cardinal Robert Bellarmine from around the 17th century):

Pope is infallible & this infallibility is guaranteed by HS
Therefore, if Pope says something ex cathedra that is heretical, he is not actually a Pope

Also, the claim is that John XXIII was a Mason and thus was not eligible for Papal election.

Pretty much.  Especially with the heresy of modernism, they pretty much claim anything post-Pius XII is heretical.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »

They are squirrel food...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »

Thread Split:  Modernism in the RCC, liturgical abuses and can it happen here?

Discussions about modernism within the RCC, groups they view as heretical/illicit, liturgical abuses, and if this is foreshadowing of things to come in Orthodoxy should be kept in the thread I linked to above.

-- Friul

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags: traditionalism roman catholic Vatican II 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: