OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Music Recommendations.  (Read 1486 times) Average Rating: 0
pawnraider

« on: May 07, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »

What is the difference between Byzantine, Greek and other music forms and what would you recommend to someone investigating Orthodoxy?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »

I'd recommend you listen to everything (i.e. all types of Orthodox Chant).

Greek Chant IS Byzantine Chant...(except when it's not).  Byzantine Chant is the music of the Churches of Greece, Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem and also heavily used by the Churches of Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia (along with Slavic Chants).  What I mean by not is that you will find some harmonized music labeled "Greek Chant" that is actually modern Russian Chant.  This happens with some Carpatho-Russian Chants as well that are labeled "Bulgarian Chant".  I think I was told the "why" some time ago, but forget, so I'll let someone else address that.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »

Well, I'm biased...

As someone who grew up in Ukraine in a very secular-humanist environment, I personally love the Ukrainian Baroque and Rococo music of the 18-th century: Berezovs'kyj, Bortnyans'kyj, Vedel', Turchanynov... Magnificent, most uplifting, truly royal.

Love never fails.
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

I would recommend the following:
Choir of Valaam Monastery (Russian) - click on MP3 at the top of the page
Ancient Faith Radio - streaming internet radio that plays all types of Orthodox music.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

In the liturgy section there are sticky posts that link to mp3 sites for Byzantine and Slavic Orthodox music.
-username!

Tags: music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: