OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:17:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question To Any Aussies...  (Read 914 times) Average Rating: 0
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« on: July 15, 2003, 05:01:47 PM »

While talking to my buddie Mor Ephram, he asked me if I'd bring him back a kiwi.  So, I asked him what he wanted with a New Zealander.  He was talking about the fruit or the bird.  Anyway, the question is: Why are New Zealanders refered to as Kiwis?  I've heard my Aussie friends do it all the time, but their currently unavailable for comment.  Perhaps someone could shed some light?
Thanks,
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 05:22:36 PM »

As I understand it - it's because their national emblem is a Kiwi. But why that should be - well goodness only knows

Try asking a Kiwi Cheesy

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 12:03:44 AM »

Well, I poked around and the Kiwi is the national symbol of New Zealand and has been for a good while.  It's a tough, doughty flightless bird native to the islands that has nostrils at the end of its' beak and has the largest eggs relative to it's body size.  It really got world attention when an Australia man who married a woman from New Zealand put out "Kiwi Brand" boot and shoe polish.  

The Kiwi started showing up on NZ military badges such as the "South Canterbury Battalion in 1886 and the Hastings Rifle Volunteers in 1887" according to
http://www.newzealandsites.com/about-new-zealand/the-kiwi.html
which also says this:

"During the First World War, New Zealanders carved a giant kiwi on the chalk hill above Sling Camp in England. In Flanders during the war, the name "Kiwi" for New Zealand soldiers came into general use. The Kiwi (New Zealand Army) Football Team which toured the British Isles, France and Germany in 1945-46 also enhanced the emblem's popularity. "

I found similar information on other sites, so it seems that the bird was adopted as a local symbol and with WWI's having some troops from NZ it caught on, reinforced by boot polish.

The fruit called a "kiwifruit" is originally from China and was called the "Chinese Gooseberry" though on the outside it looks nothing like a gooseberry.  It started to get planted in other places including New Zealand and when things Chinese were less then popular due to politics, it was dubbed the "Kiwifruit" being brown and hairy like the birds.

There. probably more then you wanted to know about Kiwis.  Grin

Where are you going to New Zealand, Ania? and is it business or pleasure?  I very much want to visit that country some day.

Ebor, Hunter and Gatherer of Information

« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:06:29 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 02:33:16 PM »

Wow, that is a lot of info,  Shocked Thanks!  It answers the question pretty soundly.  Actually, unfortunately, I'm not going to New Zealand, but close.  I'm traveling to Syndey on the 23rd, in a week from today  :cwm12:.  I'm going to be there for 2 weeks.  Mor just asked for a kiwi, so I asked him what on earth he wanted with a New Zealander.  I didn't know that kiwifruit were originally from China, that's pretty cool.  I guess it's the same as in a few hundred years people will have no idea that the french fries are originally from Belgium.  Anyway, back to work.
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: