OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling vespers on Pentecost Sunday  (Read 2915 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »

Unfortunately, my parish has no plans to do the so-called Kneeling Vespers this year and, as is my wont, my wife and I will be doing a reader's service at home.  I'm an old hand at the "regular" reader's service vespers but have a question about the kneeling prayers for that particular Sunday.  Is it proper at all for the ecclesiarch to say the priest's prayers or any part of them?  If not, what would one do in place of them as part of a reader's service?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »

Schultz,

There are not even reading the kneeling prayers after Liturgy? If not I would just read them silently after your reader's service. These are presbyteral prayers and would not be taken aloud by a non-priest.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

Schultz,

There are not even reading the kneeling prayers after Liturgy? If not I would just read them silently after your reader's service. These are presbyteral prayers and would not be taken aloud by a non-priest.

Fr. Deacon Lance

Fr. Deacon,

Nope, hasn't been done yet in the 8 years I've been going there and I'm assuming in the 25 our priest has been the pastor. I know the issue has been brought to our pastor's attention before but for some reason we still don't do them.

I'll just read them silently afterwards.  Thank you for the answer.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »

Has the priest ever given a reason for not performing the Kneeling Prayers since that service is technically a Vespers service performed after the Liturgy.  If he can perform a Liturgy, logic would state that he can perform a Vespers service - a relatively simple Vespers service at that.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

I've never asked the priest personally.  All I was told is that "we don't do them" when I asked some years ago and that was said with some bitterness.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »

One possible reason that he refuses to do them could be because of something that the Roman Catholic Church has stated; that the Byzantine Rite Catholic churches are not to perform the Kneeling Vespers service because the rest of Catholicism would have already celebrated Pentecost (unless it's a year when both Orthodox and Catholic celebrate Easter on the same day).
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »

One possible reason that he refuses to do them could be because of something that the Roman Catholic Church has stated; that the Byzantine Rite Catholic churches are not to perform the Kneeling Vespers service because the rest of Catholicism would have already celebrated Pentecost (unless it's a year when both Orthodox and Catholic celebrate Easter on the same day).

Um, no.  There are plenty of Byzcath churches on both the Julian and Gregorian calendar that do the kneeling prayers.  Of course, there are plenty that don't, too, but I don't think it has anything to do with Rome telling parishes not to do them, especially post Vatican II.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:47:15 AM »

Um, no.  There are plenty of Byzcath churches on both the Julian and Gregorian calendar that do the kneeling prayers.  Of course, there are plenty that don't, too, but I don't think it has anything to do with Rome telling parishes not to do them, especially post Vatican II.

Fair enough.   Smiley
Try making the suggestion to your priest and see how he reacts - Pentecost is still a long ways away.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:48:24 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:21 AM »

Schultz,

Fr. Deacon Lance

No kneeling prayers on Pentecost Sunday?  I guess you have to keep liturgy under an hour, especially because it is Mothers Day. Roll Eyes

Ung
Tags: Pentecost vespers kneeling prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: