OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:53:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morality of Parody and Satire  (Read 876 times) Average Rating: 0
NDHoosier

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

Exiled from God's Country (North Dakota)

« on: July 15, 2003, 02:59:26 AM »

I'm going to ask a question here that I asked in my catechism class, and one for which I have yet to receive a satisfactory response (satisfactory as in a thorough answer, not as in 'I don't like your answer').

What is the morality of parody and satire?  Is it wrong to write parodies and satires?  Is it wrong to enjoy them?

I admit that I really enjoy good, cutting parody and satire, and am fairly adept at it myself (I had an attorney friend look at some of my stuff once and, while he laughed uproariously, said I shouldn't publish it unless I used a pseudonym because it was so biting).  I have found that such writing is, for me, cathartic.

Now that I stand on the threshold of becoming an Orthodox Christian, I am having second, third, fourth, n+1 thoughts about these forms of humor.

Ideally, our words are supposed to be gentle.  However, we know that asking "pretty please" doesn't always get done what needs to get done, including getting a point across.  Even Jesus engaged in a mild form of parody by naming James and John "Boanerges" (Mark 3:17), and Paul also did so by wishing that the Judaizers who insisted on circumcision should "finish the job" by self-castration (Galatians 5:12)! It therefore seems to me that parodies and satires are not, then, intrinsically immoral.

(Well-reasoned) opinions, anyone?

There ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a rider that can't be throwed.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 07:15:05 AM »

Hi ND,

I personally think there is nothing wrong with a good and healthy laugh, along with a good sense of humour.  Although we need to watch what goes through our head, and make sure it doesn't lead us to sin, I can't envision anything wrong with comedy, whether it is from a slight off-colour comedian or a satire or parody of something.

What you have ND is a gift from God.  It really is a gift and a talent to be able to write and compose something that reaches mens hearts.  It isn't the satire and parody itself but what you do with it, and I think as long as you remain away from that which is overly obscene and offensive to the Church, you have nothing to worry about.

Just my thoughts,
Bobby

« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 07:16:28 AM by Bobby » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 10:23:16 AM »

I always wonder what Paul was thinking in the following passage. I'm sure he must have at the very least smiled inwardly.

Acts 23:6
Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, "My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee. I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead."

John.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: