OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Armenian saint increasingly popular in Ethiopia!  (Read 21455 times) Average Rating: 0
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »

I have found the following beautiful Amharic song from youtube. The title of the song is “Ney Arsema” meaning: Come Arsema. The first verse in the song says:

Ney Arsema holy – Ney Arsema martyr
Arsema, Arsema, – Ney Arsema
When I call thee Arsema – Ney Arsema
To intercede for me – Ney Arsema
To God thy creator – Ney Arsema
My sins, my mistakes – Ney Arsema
Let me confess to thee – Ney Arsema
Lead me O Arsema – Ney Arsema
Holding my hands – Ney Arsema
etc...

With this song as a background, the video presents her story in Amharic and also shows some icons and her church in Armenia.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4GSm13cc7k

Hiywot
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »

Thank you for this, Hiywot!  I've e-mailed the video link, as well as your translation, to my friends.  I think I might also put this in the OO music thread.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »

It's the feast day of St. Hripsime.  Happy feast day, everyone!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »

May her prayers shelter us all!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »

St. Hrispsime, intercede on our behalf to the Lord our God.
Gisasargavak

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »

I applaud the Ethiopians for recognizing the holiness of saints that are not necessarily considered part of their immediate "tradition" (lower-case t) per se. I think that even Armenians (especially outside of Armenia) don't know much about her or her martyrdom. I think there is a tendency to not focus on our own saints, save a few such as the one in my avatar (St. Vartan).

I could be wrong, but I think it is far past due for a revival of the Church Fathers and saints within the Armenian Church as well as Oriental Orthodoxy as a whole. I think they have been neglected because here in the West, it seems as if no one wants to hear about them. This has been my own experience, and 99% of what I have learned about the saints and the Church Fathers (even St. John Chrysostom) has been outside my church; I wouldn't have even known about Chrysostom if I hadn't come across Ancient Faith Radio, and then later a friend of mine from Armenia. I wonder how common this experience is, or maybe it is endemic to my experience...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:16:30 AM by Gisasargavak » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:48 AM »

I think there is a tendency to not focus on our own saints, save a few such as the one in my avatar (St. Vartan).

I could be wrong, but I think it is far past due for a revival of the Church Fathers and saints within the Armenian Church as well as Oriental Orthodoxy as a whole. I think they have been neglected because here in the West, it seems as if no one wants to hear about them.

That's my experience as well, at least within the Armenian Church.  I find that the Copts and other Orthodox have a better knowledge and veneration of their own saints.  It just seems to be the Armenians who neglect our saints as much as we do.  It's very frustrating. 

Gisasargavak

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »

I think there is a tendency to not focus on our own saints, save a few such as the one in my avatar (St. Vartan).

I could be wrong, but I think it is far past due for a revival of the Church Fathers and saints within the Armenian Church as well as Oriental Orthodoxy as a whole. I think they have been neglected because here in the West, it seems as if no one wants to hear about them.

That's my experience as well, at least within the Armenian Church.  I find that the Copts and other Orthodox have a better knowledge and veneration of their own saints.  It just seems to be the Armenians who neglect our saints as much as we do.  It's very frustrating. 

I wonder what the reason behind it is. In any case maybe we are supposed to bring it up with our respective parish priests as to why we don't hear about our own saints. It seems to me that these accounts - especially of Christian chastity and martyrdom and proclaiming the Risen Christ unto death should be inspiring to us and give us hope when we have our own crosses to bear.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »

The feast day of St. Hripsime in Armenia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf24E-rRZfw

The next day, the feast day of St. Gayane, her spiritual mother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98yGkNQv60

copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:28 PM »

Her name is St. Arapsima in the Coptic Church. We even have a movie for her-

http://www.copticme.com/coptic-movies.php#
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »

The feast day of St. Hripsime in Armenia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf24E-rRZfw

The next day, the feast day of St. Gayane, her spiritual mother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t98yGkNQv60

What is that golden hand? It's neat. Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:03 AM »

Those are reliquaries.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »

Those are reliquaries.
Cool. Smiley Are the Armenians the only ones who do that?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2011, 01:30:05 AM »

Another mezmur about St. Hripsime, complete with translation, is linked in this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg652182.html#msg652182

Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »

Somehow it seems.. usually Orthodox saints have the hardest to pronounce names... Eastern, or Oriental you name it..

I'm not sure I can really pronounce Ioannis even... is it "Ee oh ann iss"?  or is it "Yohannes" like the Germans say it?

How do you pronounce Hripsemeh?

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 03:43:01 AM »

Hahaha. I always wonder that, Andrew. So many Coptic saints have not only unique names, but multiple ways of pronouncing them. For instance, you will read in the synaxarium and see things like "the commemoration of St. Qozman (Cosmas) El-Tahawy and his companions" (Paona 1). If you speak Arabic and English (like most people in my parish do), this is pretty interesting since the two don't sound very similar. Q and K are not homophones in Arabic like they are in English, and Copts sometimes pronounce "c" as "s" (probably since they're used to the Coptic script, where this makes sense; you will often find transliterations of Coptic words like "Epchois" as "Epchoic" or "Epchoice", pronounced "Ebshois"), so it comes out as "Sosmas".  Smiley Sometimes it takes a bit of straining to remember who we're talking about, honestly (ahhhh, yes...St. Abe-Fam, a.k.a. Epipham, a.k.a. Bifam, a.k.a. Phoebammon...I have no idea how that last one snuck in there!).

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:44:29 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »

Selam
OH wow! I have not seen this thread, this is great! thank you Salpy, I will have you know I love your avatar, this icon was not known initially in the main cities in Ethio, so somehow after reading the life of St.Arsema, someone must have looked at st Barbara's Icon and decided here is a martyr by what she was holding, it must be st.Arsema, so it started to circulate as her  and we all bought it and were quite content lol, then a friend told me that one of the holy fathers saw it and laughed he could read the Greek,and obviously no one who was buying and selling the icon did lol so he and few other people started to advise some of the main distributors if they could reprint the icon as is but to change the script in Amharic to say St Arsema , because the icon was already loved and associated with her by the people lol so we were happy to keep our icons and buy the new one as well. but soon the correct icon you now have started to circulate along others that were done in Ethiopian iconographic styles by associations that were formed in St.Arsema  Smiley there are still st Barbara's icon being sold though lol on some its without inscription , on some the Amharic inscription is on lol

selam Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »

How do you pronounce Hripsemeh?

HerEEpseemeh

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »

Happy feast day of St. Hripsimeh, everyone!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »

Thank you Salpy, may her intercession and aide be with us!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »

Thank you Salpy, may her intercession and aide be with us!

Amen!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

I probably mentioned this earlier, but it is worth repeating that the day after St. Hripsimeh's feast day, we have the feast of St. Gayaneh, her spiritual mother who was martyred with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfyYIo9sIOY&list=UUm03-iV0O8sSMpOyQK3Qjcg&index=3&feature=plcp

Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

We welcomed “Tabot” of Kidist Arsema (St. Hripsime) this past Sunday at St. Michael Ethiopian Tewahedo Church in DC! Arsema is now in the USA!!! Grin Words can’t express the joy I feel!
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »

We welcomed “Tabot” of Kidist Arsema (St. Hripsime) this past Sunday at St. Michael Ethiopian Tewahedo Church in DC! Arsema is now in the USA!!! Grin Words can’t express the joy I feel!

Greetings, Ergib!

This can only be the Holy Spirit! Today's St. Michael's Day on the Ethiopian Calendar, so, last night, I placed this amazing image as my screen saver:

'Ergib' means 'Pigeon/Dove'

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

That is a lovely picture.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »

Greetings, Ergib!

This can only be the Holy Spirit! Today's St. Michael's Day on the Ethiopian Calendar, so, last night, I placed this amazing image as my screen saver:

'Ergib' means 'Pigeon/Dove'

Yep!  Smiley
That is a lovely image!
Tags: saints Armenian Church Ethiopian Orthodox Church Oriental Orthodox saints martyr 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: