An Armenian saint increasingly popular in Ethiopia!

(1/15) > >>

Hiywot:
In Ethiopia we call her St. Arsema. Armenians call her St. Hripsime. She is not actually Armenian by birth but was martyred by King Tiridates of Armenia. We call the king as Dirtades. In Ethiopia, St. Arsema is currently being highly popular than ever because of the miracles seen at the churches consecrated in her name. The number of churches built in her name is also increasing. And in almost any spiritual book shop in Ethiopia one can find “Gadla Kidist Arsema” i.e., the book of the life of St. Arsema. I myself love this saint very much and consider her as one of my matron saints. I hope she will, one day, allow me visit her church in Armenia where her remains are kept.

Now my questions:

1. How is St. Arsema revered in Armenia? Do the faithful consider her as their matron saint? Is there a seasonal or annual pilgrimage to her church? How many churches in Armenia are named by St. Arsema?

2. Where can I find her icon? Unfortunately, most of the icons distributed in Ethiopia, in the name of St. Arsema are mistakenly the icons of St. Barbara. The name of St. Barbara is written on the icons in Greek. Nobody reads Greek and therefore people buy St. Barbara’s icon and revere it as St. Arsema.

Sincerely,

Hiywot

Salpy:
http://www.pbase.com/travelfreak228/image/69764345

Above is a photo of the reliquary holding her relics in Armenia.  The Church dedicated to her in Armenia is quite ancient, I think going back to the seventh century.  I don't know the details of pilgrimmages that take place there.

She is historically a very popular saint.  However, where I live in the U.S. not a lot of people venerate her anymore.  I don't know of any churches named after her in the U.S.  I hope that changes, though.  I am going to spread the word of the miracles in Ethiopia.

There is a famous icon of her painted in the 1700's by an iconographer named Hovnadanian.  I am going to try to find it for you.  It shows her actually stepping on King Tiridates ("Drtad" in Armenian.)

The Coptic Church actually made a video about her.  It was in Arabic with English subtitles and it was pretty good.  They call her St. Arapsima.

ozgeorge:
The Greek Orthodox Church also venerates St. Hripsime. She is called "St. Ripsimia" in Greek, and her feast is September 30th where she is commemorated with her Companion Virgin Martyrs.

Quote from: Salpy on May 03, 2008, 11:51:07 AM

Tere is a famous icon of her painted in the 1700's by an iconographer named Hovnadanian.  I am going to try to find it for you.  It shows her actually stepping on King Tiridates ("Drtad" in Armenian.)
Is this the one you mean?

Salpy:
That's it!  Thank you.   :)

Hiywot:
Thank you for finding me St. Arsema's icon. It is a beautiful icon that depicts all the major events in her life. I wish I get more information on how the Armenian people venerate her locally.

Regards,

Hiywot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page