OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 02:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slavonic Music Critque  (Read 1789 times) Average Rating: 0
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« on: April 30, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »

Open the link I posted above, go to "Alexander Govorov's Choir," and click on  "Lord, by Thy strength... By Bortnyanskiy." I absolutely love it. To me, that's an epitome of Eastern Slavic church music, a brilliant piece of the 18-th century Ukrainian Rococo, the culture that gave the world St. Paisius Velichkovsky, St. John of Tobol'sk (the great-great-...great-uncle of St. John Maksymovych), and many others... And it's a Paschal hymn, too.

I must say I don't agree Wink I like the setting of Holy God by Uspensky much better  Tongue
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »

Christos Voskrese!

Some typical English language Prostopinije can be found in this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR-r53D-KQE

Despite being the king of all chants, there unfortunately aren't a ton of recordings online of it.  One good resource is the Rusyn Heritage Radio Program, the archives of which are online in mp3 format.

http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/RadioPgm/rhrp.html

The last Easter show has a good deal of chant in Slavonic.

Yes, prostopinije should be introduced to more people.  It is time proven congregational singing.  And it is the king of all chants

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

Open the link I posted above, go to "Alexander Govorov's Choir," and click on  "Lord, by Thy strength... By Bortnyanskiy." I absolutely love it. To me, that's an epitome of Eastern Slavic church music, a brilliant piece of the 18-th century Ukrainian Rococo, the culture that gave the world St. Paisius Velichkovsky, St. John of Tobol'sk (the great-great-...great-uncle of St. John Maksymovych), and many others... And it's a Paschal hymn, too.

Not to disagree but I must!

My preference has always been for the older, simpler chant forms - prostopinije or znamennyj.  The Baroque era and the 19th century Russians like Kedrov, etc. with complex harmonies and/or polyphonic singing just don't do it for me.  Give me a congregation singing plainchant or just a single cantor chanting monophonically any day.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »

My preference has always been for the older, simpler chant forms - prostopinije or znamennyj.  The Baroque era and the 19th century Russians like Kedrov, etc. with complex harmonies and/or polyphonic singing just don't do it for me.  Give me a congregation singing plainchant or just a single cantor chanting monophonically any day.

Amen to that! Check out the link in Reply #9 above.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »

Amen to that! Check out the link in Reply #9 above.

Yes, the Valaam monks have kept traditional chant alive.

One of the issues I have is I think the complex choral stuff tends to shut the laity out to some extent and makes the work of the choir something of a performance.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »

Well, I respect your taste but I am exactly the opposite. I love Baroque and Rococo, and I am simply bored by monodia.

Love never fails.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »

Well, I respect your taste but I am exactly the opposite. I love Baroque and Rococo, and I am simply bored by monodia.

I have to agree.  That piece you recommended, Lord, by Thy strength, was absolutely stunning!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

It's not the harmonies or polyphony that I don't like. What bothers me is that a lot of pieces I've heard almost sound like something you'd hear in an opera. The plainchant seems to avoid that for the most part.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »

Yes, the Valaam monks have kept traditional chant alive.

One of the issues I have is I think the complex choral stuff tends to shut the laity out to some extent and makes the work of the choir something of a performance.

Congregational singing allows for full participation of all those present, a work of the people, liturgy Smiley  And prostopinije/sub carpathian and the type you find in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church/Orthodox churches has been time proven for centuries to allow people to pray as one during communal prayer services.. wheter a Divine Liturgy or a Moleben.

AMM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

Kid tested, mother approved.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: