OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:44:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine  (Read 3462 times) Average Rating: 0
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

Can you recommend good wine for Sunday trapeza (dinner for the church members after Liturgy)? Something not expensive but really good.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »

What are you eating?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »

Can you recommend good wine for Sunday trapeza (dinner for the church members after Liturgy)? Something not expensive but really good.

There's always Carlo Rossi's wines.  For all its appearance in a big gallon jug, it's decent table wine.  My father-in-law is a wine snob and will swear by that stuff.

My wife and I are also fond of a label called Papio, which runs for $7-9 bottle around here (Baltimore).  Look for the playful monkeys on the bottle.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

My personal favorites are from a Missouri winery by the name of St. James Winery.  The best I've had yet is their Friendship School white wine and it's $17 a bottle.  Their wines aren't as dry as most, which I like.  My favorite is still the Velvet Red, a semi-sweet red wine.  Yuuum.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »

Thank you guys!

About what we eat - yeah, I need ideas about red, white and pink wine for any dish (meat, fish, sweets).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:55:29 AM by Galina-Volga » Logged
AMM
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »

It just depends on what you like and what you have access to.  Chile is a place to look for relatively inexpensive and good red wines, either cab or carmenere varietals.  Santa Rita and Escudo Rojo are two good ones.  Assuming you don't want something too tannic, like if you're having a light meal or lamb, you could look for a good Shiraz.  I had a really good South African Shiraz for Pascha, it was about $15 a bottle which might be somewhat above what you want to pay.  Salice Salentino, made from the Negro Amaro grape, is another good red.  It also saves well.  One I had this week, which was good but not great, was Pillar Box Red.  It's a cab/merlot/shiraz blend.  It was about $8 a bottle.

I'm not a huge fan of whites, but I think Chenin Blanc's tend to be good choices.  Usually well balanced, not too sweet or dry, and they don't have the grody oakiness that a lot of the more popular whites seem to display.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »

My favorite red wine is Haute-Medoc 1999, but it's kind of expensive nowadays. A cheaper but quite drinkable red wine is Monepulciano D'Abruzzo, any year.

I don't know of any good white wines in the USA. California white is a pure poison, and imported European white wines are too expensive for me. There are wonderful dry, but not sour white wines in Ukraine - Serenyans'ke, Berehivs'ke and other.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:07:59 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »

I've become a fan of red wines because of their high content of anti-oxidants, but, as someone else mentioned, it depends on what you're eating.  The brand I really like (and it's inexpensive too) is Yellow Tail from Australia.  Funny name but really good.  Try the Cabernet Sauvignon(sp?)...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:11:37 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

Extremely biased, but Vitovska, Ribolla Gialla, Pinot Grigio, (Tocai) Friulano.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
AMM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

Conte Brandolini d'Adda Refosco.  Great Friuli rosso.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

I've become a fan of red wines because of their high content of anti-oxidants, but, as someone else mentioned, it depends on what you're eating.  The brand I really like (and it's inexpensive too) is Yellow Tail from Australia.  Funny name but really good.  Try the Cabernet Sauvignon(sp?)...
Yeah, I agree with the Yellow Tail. It's the best cheapo wine there is, in my opinion--$5-$7/bottle. I do like the Cabernet, and the Shiraz is good too. My patriotism, though, would require me to recommend St. James Winery--only a hair more than the Yellow Tail, about $7-$10/bottle for most varieties, and I haven't found one I didn't like. My favourite, though, is the semi-dry Friendship School series. It's almost $20/bottle, but definitely worth it for a special occasion. It comes in all three varieties: red, white, and blush. Of the three, however, the white is the best. Plus, St. James will ship anywhere in the US, just in case you don't want to make the trip to our beautiful wine country. And if you do, believe me, you'll crinkle your nose at Napa Valley from now on.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »

Conte Brandolini d'Adda Refosco.  Great Friuli rosso.

Great tastes!   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »

Sebastiani Merlot (not too heavy, but rich enough to serve with red meats, very tasty!)
Its a southern California wine and it sells for $8.99 at Trader Joe's.

Sebastiani Chardonnay (not too sweet but has a delightful, slightly fruity flavor)
This one also sells at Trader Joe's for the same price. Both are excellent wines.
I brought the Chardonnay to church for our Pascha picnic.

I think someone else mentioned Yellow Tail. It is a good every day red wine that is also very tasty and not too expensive.
I have purchased it at Costco for $8.99 (but it is the larger sized bottle).

Other good inexpensive wines are: Colombia Crest Merlot and Chardonnay (Trader Joe's) under $10 a bottle,
Bogle Merlot (Trader Joe's), and Raffanelli Zinfandel.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »

Add me to the Yellow Tail endorsements. It's what I buy when out of my homemade.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »

There's always Carlo Rossi's wines.  For all its appearance in a big gallon jug, it's decent table wine.  My father-in-law is a wine snob and will swear by that stuff.

My wife and I are also fond of a label called Papio, which runs for $7-9 bottle around here (Baltimore).  Look for the playful monkeys on the bottle.

Carlo Rossi's Red Mountain Burgundy had a deservedly bad reputation when I grew up despite the Janis Joplin song. The quality control is now consistently good although I prefer Franzia's boxed Cab and Merlot (usually $10 or less for 5 L).

My wine preference is Zinfandel from the Shenandoah Valley in Amador county California. I still remember my first glass of Corti Brothers, Deaver Ranch Zinfandel in the 1970's. Sutter Home used to sell an Amador county reserve from the same vineyard inexpensively. It still produces an Amador county/Lodi Zinfandel (presumably grapes from Franzia for the Lodi source) which I buy when it goes on sell for $2.99.  In some years it medals in the $15 or less class and you can't go wrong at the $2.99 sale price.

Outside of wine, I definitely remember my first cup of Peet's coffee in 1973 (Top Blend). It was like tasting chocolate for the first time as an adult. I remember it visually which is something.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »

Carlo Rossi's Red Mountain Burgundy had a deservedly bad reputation when I grew up despite the Janis Joplin song. The quality control is now consistently good although I prefer Franzia's boxed Cab and Merlot (usually $10 or less for 5 L).

My wine preference is Zinfandel from the Shenandoah Valley in Amador county California. I still remember my first glass of Corti Brothers, Deaver Ranch Zinfandel in the 1970's. Sutter Home used to sell an Amador county reserve from the same vineyard inexpensively. It still produces an Amador county/Lodi Zinfandel (presumably grapes from Franzia for the Lodi source) which I buy when it goes on sell for $2.99.  In some years it medals in the $15 or less class and you can't go wrong at the $2.99 sale price.

Outside of wine, I definitely remember my first cup of Peet's coffee in 1973 (Top Blend). It was like tasting chocolate for the first time as an adult. I remember it visually which is something.

strange you would resurrect this thread, as I have just poured a glass of Merlot left over from a house party I had a day before. are you clairvoyant or something? Grin

Edit, I liked how you described your coffee experiance. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:04:35 PM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »

strange you would resurrect this thread, as I have just poured a glass of Merlot left over from a house party I had a day before. are you clairvoyant or something? Grin

Hiwot, this gives me the opportunity to tell you that I always love your posts even though I might disagree with you on some issues.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

Hiwot, this gives me the opportunity to tell you that I always love your posts even though I might disagree with you on some issues.

Thank you dear,  I appreciate it, better still when you disagree and still find something to like about what I had to say, that says quite a lot about your noble character than anything.  Smiley

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:39 AM »

Almost the same but that 'disagree' part.

And I've poured a 1,5 bottle of wine ($3,3; not mentioning other drinks). He must be something.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:05:14 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »

I agree with the Yellow Tail and Carlos Rossi endorsements. But then again, I'm a beer man. Wine either puts me right to sleep or makes me extremely loopy. And it seems to always give me a hangover.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »

I'll third the Yellow Tail. Yellow Tail riesling was the first wine I ever had, and it's still one of my favorites.

Last night at Mother's Day dinner we had Primo Amore Moscato, which was wonderful and refreshing. I've only seen this for sale online, not in stores, so shipping adds extra cost, but it's worth it.

And if I may stray from wine a bit, one of my friends from church makes mead from local honey, is a big hit at Pascha. Everyone should try mead, if they never had.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:43:04 AM by age234 » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

I agree with the Yellow Tail and Carlos Rossi endorsements. But then again, I'm a beer man. Wine either puts me right to sleep or makes me extremely loopy. And it seems to always give me a hangover.

Selam

That's pretty much what happens to me with anything more than a glass of wine.  I don't know what it is about wine but it knocks me out or makes me all giggley.  Ditto on the hangover + extra bad headache!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Boxed Cabernet FTW!  Cool

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

Almost the same but that 'disagree' part.

Michal thank you dear, now who needs a wine when there is such a compliment, from someone as wonderful as you!  Wink

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »

Yellow Tail is good, but Circle K's wine is among the greatest, seriously...or so people who are 21 and older tell me...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags: Food wine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: