OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:21:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People selling illegal items on ebay  (Read 1676 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: June 27, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »

Doesn't it just get you that people have the guts to sell plants that are protected by international treaties Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (C.I.T.E.S.) and by state law (in this case West Virginia Code §19-1A-3a) on ebay?  GRRR! The plant species in question is in serious trouble in native wild populations that is why there is all of this protection.  Not to mention that the seller also has several wild native orchid species for sale as well, not exactly easy to keep in captivity nor exactly numerous in the wild either.
Sorry but this really gets me, as someone who knows his woods, plants, species, animals, etc... and spends a lot of time observing the treasures of the Appalachians and sees the decimation of so many species this just gets me upset when someone is so blatant as to sell these periled plant species protected by state and international law online is upsetting.  It's really all of our concern as our native plants and animals face challenges to exist in the midst of increased human activity/illegal harvest, alien/non-native species that out-compete them, non-native diseases and pests that wipe them out, acid-rain, and an over abundant white tail deer population that over browses.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:14:15 AM »

Have you alerted the authorities about this?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »

Have you alerted the authorities about this?

Good question. eBay would smack this seller down in a heart-beat, at the least. Wonder what constitutes 'authorities' beyond that?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »

If either the buyer or seller live in the U.S. I would imagine the EPA would have jurisdiction.

This isn't the first time I've heard of illegal items being sold on Ebay, but the site is so big, they may not have noticed. I would definitely alert them first, and perhaps they can stop the sale as well as deliver the account information of the seller to the proper authorities.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »

Absolutely, eBay is good at stopping illegal auctions when notified and the EPA, Department of Agriculture, or whomever is in charge is likely to respond quickly if you call or go in person and give therm the information. As you can see from my signature, I am a regular eBayer and I know eBay cares about this stuff.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:26:59 PM »

If either the buyer or seller live in the U.S. I would imagine the EPA would have jurisdiction.

Or the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Agency - they enforce the C.I.T.E.S treaty and also work on listing and monitoring of endangered plant species, as well as the critters.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »

Or the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Agency - they enforce the C.I.T.E.S treaty and also work on listing and monitoring of endangered plant species, as well as the critters.
Could be. If there's anything the government is good about, it's telling you where you should have called. Unfortunately, the thing they're worst about is getting that information right.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »

Proper channels have been notified. 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »

It's incredible that people even try to sell such things.  Dumb criminal award, anyone?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »

Dang, and when I clicked on this thread I was hoping to get pointers on how to order automatic weapons, oxy's, or d-bol through e-bay...oh well, guess one just has to stick to the more traditional black market: friends on probation and eastern european websites. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »

Dang, and when I clicked on this thread I was hoping to get pointers on how to order automatic weapons, oxy's, or d-bol through e-bay...oh well, guess one just has to stick to the more traditional black market: friends on probation and eastern european websites. Wink

Smiley  friends, what about Eastern European grocery stores?

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

Smiley  friends, what about Eastern European grocery stores?

Some of those might work if I had any around...always looking for a new source, especially if I can get a better deal Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: