OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:50:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do Coptic priest greet each other?  (Read 1758 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: April 28, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

How do Coptic priests greet each other. I know Byzantine Orthodox call each other "Father" and then kiss each other's cheek three times then their right hand. Do the Copts do the same thing?

Basil
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »

How do Coptic priests greet each other. I know Byzantine Orthodox call each other "Father" and then kiss each other's cheek three times then their right hand. Do the Copts do the same thing?

Basil

What I've seen is that they greet each other as "Father" or "Father bless" and have their hands touch the ground near each other and kiss their own hands as if they received blessing from hallowed ground.  Then they sandwich their hands together and at the same time, you can see almost a mirror image of them turning to their sides just to kiss the other's hand.  Finally, they kiss on the cheeks or shoulders, not sure though (I would venture to say at least once).  The significance or the spirituality behind this gesture, I have never questioned, but entertaining to watch.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:54:56 AM »

What I've seen is that they greet each other as "Father" or "Father bless" and have their hands touch the ground near each other and kiss their own hands as if they received blessing from hallowed ground.  Then they sandwich their hands together and at the same time, you can see almost a mirror image of them turning to their sides just to kiss the other's hand.  Finally, they kiss on the cheeks or shoulders, not sure though (I would venture to say at least once).  The significance or the spirituality behind this gesture, I have never questioned, but entertaining to watch.

That sounds like a lot of choreography! Cheesy

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church proper greeting priests 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: