Author Topic: Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy  (Read 1498 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:40:07 AM »
Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
Re: Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
Personally I would recommend "A Commentary on the Divine Liturgy" by Nicholas Cabasilas who was a 14th century Orthodox Christian in the Byzantine Empire he is also been canonised as a Saint.

http://www.amazon.com/Commentary-Divine-Liturgy-Nicholas-Cabasilas/dp/0913836370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209369063&sr=8-1
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:42 AM »
Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel 

Remind me frequently to respond to this, and when I'm at work I'll give you a good list.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
The Cabasilas book is quite good, and you should definitely read it.  There area few of the so-called "mystical" books on the Liturgy that you could read (from St. Germanos, or St. Dionysios, etc.), which take a very figurative approach and speak more of connections with Historical and Spiritual events rather than interpreting the prayers and providing practical relevance info.

I've got a new one that I haven't read yet called "Through Their Own Eyes: Liturgy as the Byzantines Saw It" - I'm very interested in its approach on the subject (it's by Taft, who's one of the premiere Liturgics scholars of the modern era).

There are some simple Q & A books by Professor Ioannis Fontoulis in Greece, but they haven't been translated into English yet.  They were written as responses to questions and published in a local newspaper (and eventually complied for the book).  If you had access to one or more of these books, and someone to translate them for you, you'd benefit greatly.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • OC.net guru
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
Let Us Attend: A Journey through the Orthodox Divine Liturgy by Fr Lawrence Farley (conciliar isbn #978-1-888212-87-7. It is only 100 pp, reliable, but unsure if in the depth being sought here.
Antiochian OC N.A.

Offline Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »
Hey y'all,

Gabriel

I got "The Heavenly Banquet" by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis for Christmas. It is an excellent, pastoral and thorough explanation of the Divine Liturgy. It's full of mini-case studies, notes and references for further study, and other resources. I definitely recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:24:02 PM by Reader KevinAndrew »