Author Topic: Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy  (Read 2033 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:40:07 AM »
Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
Re: Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
Personally I would recommend "A Commentary on the Divine Liturgy" by Nicholas Cabasilas who was a 14th century Orthodox Christian in the Byzantine Empire he is also been canonised as a Saint.

http://www.amazon.com/Commentary-Divine-Liturgy-Nicholas-Cabasilas/dp/0913836370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209369063&sr=8-1
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Online Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:42 AM »
Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel 

Remind me frequently to respond to this, and when I'm at work I'll give you a good list.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Online Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
The Cabasilas book is quite good, and you should definitely read it.  There area few of the so-called "mystical" books on the Liturgy that you could read (from St. Germanos, or St. Dionysios, etc.), which take a very figurative approach and speak more of connections with Historical and Spiritual events rather than interpreting the prayers and providing practical relevance info.

I've got a new one that I haven't read yet called "Through Their Own Eyes: Liturgy as the Byzantines Saw It" - I'm very interested in its approach on the subject (it's by Taft, who's one of the premiere Liturgics scholars of the modern era).

There are some simple Q & A books by Professor Ioannis Fontoulis in Greece, but they haven't been translated into English yet.  They were written as responses to questions and published in a local newspaper (and eventually complied for the book).  If you had access to one or more of these books, and someone to translate them for you, you'd benefit greatly.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
Let Us Attend: A Journey through the Orthodox Divine Liturgy by Fr Lawrence Farley (conciliar isbn #978-1-888212-87-7. It is only 100 pp, reliable, but unsure if in the depth being sought here.
Antiochian OC N.A.

Offline Reader KevinAndrew

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »
Hey y'all,

Gabriel

I got "The Heavenly Banquet" by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis for Christmas. It is an excellent, pastoral and thorough explanation of the Divine Liturgy. It's full of mini-case studies, notes and references for further study, and other resources. I definitely recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:24:02 PM by Reader KevinAndrew »