OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:18:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a good book on the OE Divine Liturgy  (Read 1391 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 28, 2008, 03:40:07 AM »

Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »

Personally I would recommend "A Commentary on the Divine Liturgy" by Nicholas Cabasilas who was a 14th century Orthodox Christian in the Byzantine Empire he is also been canonised as a Saint.

http://www.amazon.com/Commentary-Divine-Liturgy-Nicholas-Cabasilas/dp/0913836370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209369063&sr=8-1

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:42 AM »

Hey y'all,

I'm needing some recomendations for a good book on the EO Divine Liturgy.  I don't want it to be too academic, but also not too simple.  Thanks in advance.

Gabriel 

Remind me frequently to respond to this, and when I'm at work I'll give you a good list.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »

The Cabasilas book is quite good, and you should definitely read it.  There area few of the so-called "mystical" books on the Liturgy that you could read (from St. Germanos, or St. Dionysios, etc.), which take a very figurative approach and speak more of connections with Historical and Spiritual events rather than interpreting the prayers and providing practical relevance info.

I've got a new one that I haven't read yet called "Through Their Own Eyes: Liturgy as the Byzantines Saw It" - I'm very interested in its approach on the subject (it's by Taft, who's one of the premiere Liturgics scholars of the modern era).

There are some simple Q & A books by Professor Ioannis Fontoulis in Greece, but they haven't been translated into English yet.  They were written as responses to questions and published in a local newspaper (and eventually complied for the book).  If you had access to one or more of these books, and someone to translate them for you, you'd benefit greatly.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »

Let Us Attend: A Journey through the Orthodox Divine Liturgy by Fr Lawrence Farley (conciliar isbn #978-1-888212-87-7. It is only 100 pp, reliable, but unsure if in the depth being sought here.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »

Hey y'all,

Gabriel

I got "The Heavenly Banquet" by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis for Christmas. It is an excellent, pastoral and thorough explanation of the Divine Liturgy. It's full of mini-case studies, notes and references for further study, and other resources. I definitely recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:24:02 PM by Reader KevinAndrew » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: