OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumen Classes  (Read 3668 times) Average Rating: 0
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« on: April 27, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »

Catechumen classes for my church being next month. I'm just curious, what will it be like? For instance, will there be tests, like in an actual class, etc?

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »

For starters, it'll be the longest class you've ever had! Cheesy Typically, the catechumenate lasts between 1 - 3 years, depending on your priest.  I say 'typically' becuase it's been known to be shorter or longer.   The format will depend on your Priest/ Catechumen Teacher.  Sometimes the 'classes' are simply informal one-on-one with your priest once a week and sometimes classes can be very formal (including exams!)  But as my priest says, "We never stop being catechumens!", meaning we never stop learning.

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Seamus

St. James

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »

For starters, it'll be the longest class you've ever had! Cheesy Typically, the catechumenate lasts between 1 - 3 years, depending on your priest.  I say 'typically' becuase it's been known to be shorter or longer.   The format will depend on your Priest/ Catechumen Teacher.  Sometimes the 'classes' are simply informal one-on-one with your priest once a week and sometimes classes can be very formal (including exams!)  But as my priest says, "We never stop being catechumens!", meaning we never stop learning.

In Christ,
Gabriel

That's interesting. My Priest said it would last from about 6 months to a year.

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

Personally, mine have been very informal.  Sitting down with one of the two Priests after the Liturgy and talk/discuss, or go to the bookstore next door and have coffee/cookies and talk.  No tests/exams, etc.  Maybe since it is more informal, it will be on the longer side.  He said from 3 - 5 years.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Bridget

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:44:43 PM »

I had very little formal instruction. My priest did tell me which books he felt were essential reads and we did sit down and talk about things periodically. He also runs a weekly bible study and let me know he wanted to see me there. So he definitely kept tabs on where I was. But, he said he never wants me to feel I've learned enough.

Then again, when I was becoming RC we had a very formal year long catechism process called RCIA. All in all it was a totally different experience.

Incidentally, it took me a little over a year from the time I first visited an Orthodox church locally to the time I decided to take the plunge.

Bridget
Seamus

St. James

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »

Personally, mine have been very informal.  Sitting down with one of the two Priests after the Liturgy and talk/discuss, or go to the bookstore next door and have coffee/cookies and talk.  No tests/exams, etc.  Maybe since it is more informal, it will be on the longer side.  He said from 3 - 5 years.

The first time I met my Priest I asked him about Catechumen classes. I think he said it would be pretty informal.

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »

As a Catechumen Director of my Church, I have learned that the process varies from priest to priest unless given specific guidelines by his bishop.  Our Bishop , for example has advised that  the catechumenate should be no shorter than 9 months.  To this minimum requirement our priest has added the attendance at 12 of the major feasts, attendance at 20 catechumen classes, the reading fo four Orthodox Books, as well as attending the services of the Church, meeting with myself and the priest to discuss where they are in their process, and assisting them in the selction of their sponsors or Godparents. We develop  a personalized catechumen program for each catechumen looking to assign books, pamphlets etc that meet their needs or desires for better understanding of an area of Orthodox theology (i.e. prayer,  holy fathers, desert wisdom, iconography, the Theotokos, saints etc.) Some are  baptised or  Chrismated at the conclusion of the above period, others continue until their testimony of Christ in the Orthodox Church has developed enough to desire  Baptism or Chrismation. Our Catechism Cycle of classes lasts about two years.  There are 2 different classes held on most Saturdays with Bible Studies  interdispersed throughout the month for members, catechumen, and inquirors.

Thomas
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:25:47 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
howdydave

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:42:34 AM »

My classes took about 6 months.
One-on-one classes for about two hours, every week.

I had been a "seeker" for about 10 years.

I like to say that "I came to the East from the East."

I started out as a Lutheran. Then I had a "religious encounter" that did not fit neatly into the box of "Lutheran mindset" so I spent a full 7 years just attempting to answer the question:
"What was that?"

There were no words in the English language that I could find which would allow me to get a handle on it.  I finally found the vocabulary in Jnana Yoga and Hinduism. My path also lead me through Tibetan Buddhism and Taoism. I had been scouring the planet for writings about my spiritual experience. Then one day last September I went to a Greek Festival at a local church. I took the church tour which included a trip through the bookstore. There I found everything that I had been looking for in the writings of Orthodoxy.

My priest said: "You have been 'orthodox' for quite some time, only you didn't know it!"

My search had convinced me of the fact that "I don't know squat!" so I was at a stage where I did not have to unlearn anything.

Now I am Orthodox rather than "orthodox" (as of April 6.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:01:35 AM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Recognition of the vastness of one's own ignorance
is the first step on the road to true wisdom!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:15:28 AM »

My classes took about 6 months.
One-on-one classes for about two hours, every week.

I had been a "seeker" for about 10 years.

I like to say that "I came to the East from the East."

I started out as a Lutheran. Then I had a "religious encounter" that did not fit neatly into the box of "Lutheran mindset" so I spent a full 7 years just attempting to answer the question:
"What was that?"

There were no words in the English language that I could find which would allow me to get a handle on it.  I finally found the vocabulary in Jnana Yoga and Hinduism. My path also lead me through Tibetan Buddhism and Taoism. I had been scouring the planet for writings about my spiritual experience. Then one day last September I went to a Greek Festival at a local church. I took the church tour which included a trip through the bookstore. There I found everything that I had been looking for in the writings of Orthodoxy.

My priest said: "You have been 'orthodox' for quite some time, only you didn't know it!"

My search had convinced me of the fact that "I don't know squat!" so I was at a stage where I did not have to unlearn anything.

Now I am Orthodox rather than "orthodox" (as of April 6.)
Glory to God!  What an amazing story!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Your experience slightly resembles my own experience with Eastern religions.  And welcome to the form! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:32:16 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:27:51 AM »

Christ is Risen!Howdy Dave

Welcome home to the Orthodox Church, your true home. Welcome to the Forum. Hope to see more of you here!

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:02:15 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
howdydave

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

Truly, He is risen!

(As a Lutheran I would have said: "He is risen indeed!")

See -- I'm learnin', I'm learnin'!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:13:54 PM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »

Truly, He is risen!

In our parish we do say "He is risen indeed!" or sometimes "Indeed He is risen!" The difference between "truly" and "indeed" is insignificant, IMO.

Eh, just follow what your parish's practice is.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
howdydave

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

Since I don't know Greek, when I went to church I said:

Kristus er oppstanden!
Han er sannelig oppstanden!
(Which is Norwegian.) 

That way people wouldn't know how to respond to me either!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:47:46 PM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Thomas
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

Truly, He is risen!

Our Parish also uses "He is risen indeed"

Thomas
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:03:11 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 01:57:45 AM »

Since I don't know Greek, when I went to church I said:

Kristus er oppstanden!
Han er sannelig oppstanden!
(Which is Norwegian.)

That way people wouldn't know how to respond to me either!  Cheesy

Heh. This was my third Pascha at my parish (where Gabriel, Mr. Y, Eofk, and a few others here attend). I think I've almost mastered all of the greetings we typically use. For fun, here they are:

Hristos a înviat! Adevărat a înviat! [Romanian]

Христос воскрес! Воістину воскрес! (Chrystos voskres! Voistynu voskres!) [Ukranian]

Христос воскресе! Воистину воскресе! (Hristos voskrese! Voistinu voskrese!) [Bulgarian]

Χριστός ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη! (Khristós Anésti! Alithós Anésti!) [Greek]

I've thought about teaching everyone how to say it in the Elven language Quenya, but given up on it. In case you are wondering, it is Ortanne Laivino! Anwa ortanne Laivino! Grin

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: