OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:21:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. John Chrysostom on Pascha  (Read 1429 times) Average Rating: 0
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« on: April 27, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

Here's a sentiment or two that bear repeating from the works of St. John!  Christ is risen!  Indeed He is risen!

If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived therefor. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And he shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one he gives, and upon the other he bestows gifts. And he both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast you all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior's death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hades, He made Hades captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hades, said he, was embittered, when it encountered You in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:37:02 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

Sadly, because the Greek Orthodox church sees no direct gain in converting the liturgy to English. This year I was able to get my hands on the Holy Week service book and this year was the first time I have ever heard this beautiful homily written by St.John Chrysostom.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »

Sadly, because the Greek Orthodox church sees no direct gain in converting the liturgy to English. This year I was able to get my hands on the Holy Week service book and this year was the first time I have ever heard this beautiful homily written by St.John Chrysostom.
Is this just your experience with your own Greek Orthodox parish, because I know of Greek churches (at least one) where virtually everything is done in English?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:47:47 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »

I like this version the most as well. There's a nice cadence when read aloud, almost like poetry, especially the section I have quoted in my signature.

I have to say, though, that this is what I look forward to most during Pascha. My priest loves this part of the service, and he shouts it with so much enthusiasm that it brings tears to my eyes.

Whenever I need a reminder on what Christianity is truly all about, this Homily sums it all up perfectly with so much hope, triumph, and love that the emotions evoked are truly awe-inspiring. I guess that's why we call him "Golden-Tongued." Heh.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:47:15 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »

Huh  Huh?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Huh  Huh?
Is this just your experience with your own Greek Orthodox parish, because I know of Greek churches (at least one) where virtually everything is done in English?

Sorry I should have clarified the statement. The Greek Orthodox church in Australia has been categorically denied the ability to do the whole Divine Liturgy (On Sunday or the Pascha service) in English by our Archbishop Stylianos. If anyone has read about Fr.Themi it is one of the reasons why he left Australia.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:59:01 PM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:39:24 PM »

Here's a sentiment or two that bear repeating from the works of St. John!  Christ is risen!  Indeed He is risen!

If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived therefor. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And he shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one he gives, and upon the other he bestows gifts. And he both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast you all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior's death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hades, He made Hades captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hades, said he, was embittered, when it encountered You in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.

Bump!  It still bears repeating!  Christ is risen!!!

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »

Here is my priest reading St. John's homily last week.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

Christ is risen!

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »

Indeed He is Risen!

I love St. John Chrysostom!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
liftsifter
St David the King

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

Is my parish the only parish where when the priest says "It's embittered" the congregation responds "it's embittered," or in Arabic, "tammarmarat!"

I can't seem to find a recording of it performed like that.

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:17 PM »

Is my parish the only parish where when the priest says "It's embittered" the congregation responds "it's embittered," or in Arabic, "tammarmarat!"

Last year, I spent Pascha with Greeks, and they did this.  They got really into it, too...I enjoyed it. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »

We do it, but we say "It is vexed!"

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

WHy would a church in Greece want to celebrate the Liturgy in English?   Wink

Seriously, though, I know of no Greek church here in the states (though I'm sure there must be a few) that uses Greek exclusively.  So, let's not condemn an entire jurisdiction because of your experience with one parish.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »

Last year, I spent Pascha with Greeks, and they did this.  They got really into it, too...I enjoyed it. 

I've always wondered if this was an old world custom or one of those crazy "convert" customs.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »

The Boston Byzantine Choir's CD, The Resurrection, records them responding to the Paschal Homily in this way, but in English.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »

I've always wondered if this was an old world custom or one of those crazy "convert" customs.

We did that too. I liked it! Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »

In Greece, we not only shout out the response, but also raise our candles like torches. Think lighters at a concert... it's a real arena rock moment. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »

In Greece, we not only shout out the response, but also raise our candles like torches. Think lighters at a concert... it's a real arena rock moment. Tongue

Oh yes! One of the most beautiful and uplifting moments of the service.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »

This may be my favorite part of the service. Absolutely love when this is read.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »

WHy would a church in Greece want to celebrate the Liturgy in English?   Wink

Seriously, though, I know of no Greek church here in the states (though I'm sure there must be a few) that uses Greek exclusively.  So, let's not condemn an entire jurisdiction because of your experience with one parish.
This is funny. laugh An old, very dead thread gets resurrected, and suddenly we assume that every post on it must be recent without bothering to check its time stamp. laugh The quoted post from prodromas is six years old, and I've not seen much from him at all in the last three.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:58:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: mysterious iniquitousness

Sts. Boris and Gleb

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »

I go to an Antiochian parish as well, and we do it.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
Tags: St. John Chrysostom Pascha paschal homily catechetical sermon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: