OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demons, Angels and Me  (Read 1210 times) Average Rating: 0
livefreeordie
High Elder

« on: May 03, 2008, 10:17:26 PM »

I've been reading a treasure of a book, "Words of a Sheperd". It's a collection of writings by the Serbian Priest Vojislav Dosenovich.  He survived horrors in WWII as a little boy then moved to the US where he was a priest for many years in Omaha.  The writings are all very practical homilies on faith that were printed in the Omaha Serbian News.

Anyway, in one of these, he reminded me of a saying that I've heard before, but hearing it again really struck me in light of the battle we must all fight to acquire humility in a culture that worships and glorifies everything but humility.

"Another Father reminds us that it was pride that changed angels into demons and that it is humility that turns human beings into angels."

Christ is Risen!  May we all take our medicine and follow God. 
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

Well, on a technical note, humans cannot become angels. But it's a good thought nonetheless.  Smiley

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »

Well, on a technical note, humans cannot become angels. But it's a good thought nonetheless.  Smiley

It seems pretty obvious Father Dosenovich meant this as an analogy, but if he needs correcting in the next edition of his book, he's still alive.  So you can contact him to set him straight.  Wink
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

"Another Father reminds us that it was pride that changed angels into demons and that it is humility that turns human beings into angels."

This probably makes more sense in the original Serbian translating sayings sometimes doesn't work due to some cultural idiom that rests on some sort of pun or certain type of syntactic patterning. Like the age old "God became man so that man could become god".

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:33 PM »

This probably makes more sense in the original Serbian translating sayings sometimes doesn't work due to some cultural idiom that rests on some sort of pun or certain type of syntactic patterning. Like the age old "God became man so that man could become god".

I don't know whether he wrote the original article in english or not(it was written in 1960, 12 years after he arrived in America), but if he didn't, he's lived here since 1948 and earned a masters degree and did PHD work at American Universisties.  So I would imagine the english found in "Words of Shephard" (published in 2006) "Another Father reminds us that it was pride that changed angels into demons and that it is humility that turns human beings into angels," evokes what he intended it to evoke.  Of course, if you think it needs correction for the next edition, give him a call, you can find his phone number here, http://www.serbianunity.net/culture/library/religious/Lord_Teach_Us_To_Pray/Wink
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

I don't know whether he wrote the original article in english or not(it was written in 1960, 12 years after he arrived in America), but if he didn't, he's lived here since 1948 and earned a masters degree and did PHD work at American Universisties.  So I would imagine the english found in "Words of Shephard" (published in 2006) "Another Father reminds us that it was pride that changed angels into demons and that it is humility that turns human beings into angels," evokes what he intended it to evoke.  Of course, if you think it needs correction for the next edition, give him a call, you can find his phone number here, http://www.serbianunity.net/culture/library/religious/Lord_Teach_Us_To_Pray/Wink

Brother forgive me for my hastiness. I am part of the Greek jurisdiction in Australia and it is not common to find an educated priest (In Victoria at least). I did not mean to demean the priest or suggest he quoted from his holy wisdom incorrectly. Forgive me.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Tags: pride humility 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: