OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:22:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Professor Fired for Divorce  (Read 1861 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:06 AM »

This was on ABC News this morning.  Interesting debate, though I wonder just how open and honest some of the students are about their personal lives.  Public pilloring for binge drinking or promiscuity?  I'd much rather go to my priest for confession than face the "hate the sin, love the sinner" peer pressure from my fellow 18 yo classmates.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4758480&page=1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:05:33 AM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »

^ You're absolutely right. This sort of nonsense is exactly why Confession is so important. Who knows? Maybe it would have even saved the marriage.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:17:21 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »

Orthodox priests could be defrocked if they obtain a civil divorce.  As a condition of being a priest, a divorced priest cannot remarry once he obtains an ecclesiastical divorce although a Bishop or other Hierarch makes that call.

I'm not in agreement with what Wheaton College did and I would not work for an institution where one's job depended on one's marital status.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »

This was on ABC News this morning.  Interesting debate, though I wonder just how open and honest some of the students are about their personal lives.  Public pilloring for binge drinking or promiscuity?  I'd much rather go to my priest for confession than face the "hate the sin, love the sinner" peer pressure from my fellow 18 yo classmates.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4758480&page=1

This whole thing is playing out like a scene from that movie "Saved!".  All I can think of is Mandy Moore's character throwing a Bible at another character while yelling, "I am FILLED with Christ's love! You are just jealous of my success in the Lord."

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »

Orthodox priests could be defrocked if they obtain a civil divorce.  As a condition of being a priest, a divorced priest cannot remarry once he obtains an ecclesiastical divorce although a Bishop or other Hierarch makes that call.
A professor and a priest are two very different professions. Plus, they're not Orthodox, and we can't hold non-Orthodox to our standards.

I'm not in agreement with what Wheaton College did and I would not work for an institution where one's job depended on one's marital status.
Good. I don't believe one can discriminate on the basis of marital status. Wheaton could have a lawsuit on their hands over this; I would frankly be surprised if they didn't.

This whole thing is playing out like a scene from that movie "Saved!".  All I can think of is Mandy Moore's character throwing a Bible at another character while yelling, "I am FILLED with Christ's love! You are just jealous of my success in the Lord."
LOL!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »

I wonder if it's better to be fired (or "technically" quit) than to have to put up with any kangaroo court of Weaton College? Undecided

Emma Van Hoozer, a 20-year-old junior theology major, said people's personal lives need to be made public to keep them accountable.

Yeah, and Weaton's Christian Way of holding people accountable is to practically give them a middle finger and wave bye-bye? Roll Eyes
It would have been better if the college gave the professor and his ex counseling and support after the fact. They can always get remarried.... Sad
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:14:20 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

It would have been better if the college gave the professor and his ex counseling and support after the fact. They can always get remarried.... Sad
See, that's the interesting thing. According to most evangelical Protestants, the sin is not in divorcing but remarrying someone else. I have Pentecostal relatives who have married their spouses several times rather than marry someone else for just this reason. So Wheaton is not just going against reason or common decency, but they're going against evangelical Protestantism as well!

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

See, that's the interesting thing. According to most evangelical Protestants, the sin is not in divorcing but remarrying someone else. I have Pentecostal relatives who have married their spouses several times rather than marry someone else for just this reason. So Wheaton is not just going against reason or common decency, but they're going against evangelical Protestantism as well!

I agree.  I find the idea of dismissing someone because of the divorce itself as opposed to divorce/remarriage a little odd. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »

The answer to your musings Mr. Y and Schultz is in this caption:

Generally, discrimination even at a private college is illegal under federal law, said Michael Gold, a professor of labor law at Cornell University, but there is an exception for religious beliefs.

"Title VII specifically exempts religious institutions, including colleges," Gold said. "Thus, Wheaton was free to enforce its religious beliefs against the professor."

The law suit would be thrown out on religious grounds related to the first amendment. Much the same way a police officer who arrests a priest giving communion to a child for contributing to the delinquency of a minor would never be able to have a court case proven to convict the priest.

-Nick
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:33:38 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »

It's not the legality, it's the underlying concept that I don't get.  As a Catholic whose religion forbids divorce and remarriage while the divorced party is still alive, I could understand if Wheaton would seek to dismiss a professor who did just that, but at this stage, it's just a divorce.  No adultery or whatever is being committed, at least not from the information we've been given.  If the professor had left his wife to marry another woman, I could see the wisdom behind forcing a resignation/dismissing him.

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

To some ways of thinking, the divorce is the bad part (except in extreme circumstances), and a subsequent marriage is irrelevent. I rather think that this is the philosophy of Wheaton College.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »

^ The way I see it, if an ecclesiastical divorce is not obtained, the subsequent marriage is adultery, and the civil divorce is irrelevant. I rather think this is the philosophy of the Orthodox.

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

quite possibly. I've never actually looked into it. I was refering to some non-Orthodox points of view.

But as to our (Orthodox) philosophy...
I thought there was something wrong/sinful about the whole idea that two people could just decide to "end" a marriage in and of itself, regardless of future actions. Because what is important about a civil divorce is that the couple has declared (spirtiually speaking)the marriage over. I would think that they shouldn't-or don't- have such athority.

edited to clarify
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:27:07 PM by RLNM » Logged

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

These sorts of situations give secularists more and more "supposed" ammunition.

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: