OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quote in Father Thomas Hopko's "Great and Holy Week - Part 1" Podcast  (Read 2284 times) Average Rating: 0
Chacci

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 24, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »

I'm not sure where else to put this question.  So, I'm putting it here.

While listening to Father Thomas Hopko's "Great and Holy Week - Part 1" Podcast on Ancient Faith Radio, I was struck by a quote he used. 

"The cross is the bed upon which the Divine Son of God consummates his love affair with his created, sinful, cursed, and dead bride."

I didn't quite understand whom Father Thomas was quoting.  I thought I might have heard Saint Thérèse de Lisieux - but I am not certain. 

Does anyone who wrote this and where it can be found?

Any help would be appreciated.

In ICXC,
Chacci

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »

Sheesh, I've never heard that quote before! But necrophilia image makes me cringe a little.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »

Somehow, I also do not care for that imagery...doesn't sound very Orthodox to me... :-\but then, what do I know?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »

Eeeeew!  If he meant that to be taken at face value (as opposed to "this is what we DON'T believe") I think he just lost my respect.    Shocked

It also sounds a little Eutychian.  Double ew.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »

It sounds repulsive at first, but I think I can understand with correct interpretation what it means.  Obviously, it's not to be taken literally.  To put it in simple terms, it sounds like he's giving a "Snow White" analogy.  The crowned prince kisses the bride to wake her up from the effects of the poisonous apple, except this "kiss" turns out to be Christ's death on the Cross.  Words like "love affair" may sound repulsive, but we have the book "Songs of Solomon" that is taken allegorically by the Church to represent Christ's relationship with the Church.  And then the idea that seems to bring people more repulsive thoughts was "necrophilia," but there's an irony, just as there's an irony to eating Christ's body and blood does not make one a "canabalist," or the irony that the death of an "incarnate God" somehow "conquers death."

I'm not sure how it's "unOrthodox" if interpreted properly.  Eutychian?  How?  How exactly can death occur let alone being nailed to the Cross if Christ was not en-fleshed, or as St. Cyril puts it "en-manned" unless the quote makes it very clear that it was only an imagination, that he really didn't die, or he really didn't feel pain on the Cross, or His humanity is not the same as ours?

Interesting quote though, nevertheless.  Good contemplative exercise, imo.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »

I'm not sure where else to put this question.  So, I'm putting it here.

While listening to Father Thomas Hopko's "Great and Holy Week - Part 1" Podcast on Ancient Faith Radio, I was struck by a quote he used. 

"The cross is the bed upon which the Divine Son of God consummates his love affair with his created, sinful, cursed, and dead bride."

I didn't quite understand whom Father Thomas was quoting.  I thought I might have heard Saint Thérèse de Lisieux - but I am not certain. 

Does anyone who wrote this and where it can be found?

Any help would be appreciated.

In ICXC,
Chacci

Although I personally wouldn't use that terminology I don't see anything wrong with it. The Church uses marriage imagery all the time. We just completed almost a week of "bridegroom" matins, not to mention the Paschal Stichera "see Christ the King who comes forth from the tomb as from a bridal chamber." There's nothing unusual about the love affair imagery.

Yours in Christ
Paisius
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:23:02 AM by Paisius » Logged

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Chacci

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »

Christ is Risen!
Truly, He is Risen!

Thanks for your replies...

To be honest, the thought of necrophilia never entered my mind - probably because this quote was given to me in context. You must listen to Father Thomas' podcast to get a better interpretation.  However, from my understanding it is as Minas explained, in relation to the Bridegroom Matins - where Christ is seen as the Groom and the Church as the bride.  The image of a Christ following his beloved, sinful, cursed, and dead bride even to death is a profound image in my mind which speaks to the great love our saviour has for us. 

I believe St Therese is a Catholic Saint - are there any of our Catholic brethren that know where this quote may have come from?

In ICXC,
Chacci
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »

If that's ever a case for mixed metaphors... or maybe clashing metaphors.  It makes sense once interpreted, but the imagery, I agree, is horrible.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:53 PM »

Saint Thérèse de Lisieux wrote/taught a lot about the 'mystical marriage', but I cannot recall ever coming across that specific quotation.

Maybe email Fr. Thomas and see where it was from?

I think it is a very interesting and powerful quotation, yet maybe one that sounds odd when translated into English.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:46:20 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

I thought the quote was especially moving and very beautiful.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »

If that's ever a case for mixed metaphors... or maybe clashing metaphors.  It makes sense once interpreted, but the imagery, I agree, is horrible.

The image it put in my head was that movie Corpse Bride.   Shocked

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

Huh.  I agree with Riddikulus; I thought it was beautiful.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

The quote makes sense when viewed within Cosmology. I thing it is beautiful also.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it.  Tongue  It is a good thing once I get past the initial shock.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »

If that's ever a case for mixed metaphors... or maybe clashing metaphors.

To quote Frasier, "While you were over there mixing metaphors like a Cuisinart, I had a breakthrough."

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

^LOL!  Oh, I miss Frasier.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: