OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer for "The Passion"  (Read 3038 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: July 14, 2003, 12:36:54 PM »

Found by Nicholas at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4033#4033

We've had several threads over the past few months about the controversial new film The Passion, depicting the last hours preceeding the Crucifixion.   The controversy is not only that by not caving into political correctness, the secular community is crying antisemitism, but also in that the film's dialogue is entirely Aramatic and Latin with no subtitles.  

Here are two versions, Low Resolution(for Dial-up and ISDN connections) and High Resolution( for Cable, DSL, and T1 or greater).  I hope you enjoy!

LOW RES:
http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/thepassion/thepassion_tr_lo.htm

HI RES:
http://www.rosaryarmy.com/media/new/ThePassion.mov

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 02:06:46 PM »

The trailer looks excellent.

I love hearing Pontius Pilate yell ECCE HOMO! (Behold the man!)

Bobby
rchrd_lionheart

Llama, humble sinner

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 10:30:28 PM »

I read/heard from a few pre-screening reviews that there are indeed subtitles :-)  The no-subtitle rumors seem to have been a tease.  They are currently making the final cuts on the subtitles before the release so that they are not translating every instant a soldier says, "Hey you", and so on.
Tuirgin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 10:01:08 AM »

Good trailer... the music was from Peter Gabriel's sountrack for The Rabbit Proof Fence.

I so liked Gabriel's soundtrack for Scorsese's film, The Last Temptation of Christ, that I refuse to see the movie. That soundtrack is called, "Passion", which was also the working title of Scorsese's film.
Athanasius

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 12:50:42 AM »

The movie looks really good. I also like Gabriel's score. I've actually seen the Last Temptation of Christ and despite some very blasphemous material I thought many aspects of the film were excellent.

Athanasius

God became man that man might become God-St. Athanasius
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 11:27:54 AM »

In regards to The Last Temptation of Christ the thing that bothered me the most was not some of the things Christ is depicted doing(as in the end it is revealed to be a vision of the Last Temptation and Christ refuses to give into this temptation and is taken back to the cross - still blasphemous, but not the most blasphemous I've ever seen) but rather the emphasis on Judas.  In the film, Judas is seen as the best of the apostles and Christ has to make Judas betray him.  That is my biggest problem with the film.  

But anyway, with The Passion, I'm hoping the rest of the film will be as good as the trailer.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Athanasius

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 02:10:40 AM »

The part that bothered me the most was the fact that it portrayed Jesus as a sinner. However I still feel the movie was interesting. I wouldn't recommend it theologically though!  Grin

Athanaisus :cwm12:

God became man that man might become God-St. Athanasius
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 07:18:31 AM »

Wow you guys derived this all from the trailer??

I personally think, while maybe not 100% theologically accurate, that this movie is revolutionary and will present to the public a powerful and demonstrative example of Christ, the Cross, and Christianity.

While flipping through television several weeks ago, I accidentally(I swear!) stopped and saw that The View was on.  Starr Jones was telling the people on the view that she had seen a pre-screening of the movie and how phenomenal it was.  Nevermind that the Theotokos was portrayed accuractely as the new Eve! Starr was impressed and very moved, and she is a Baptist.

Anyway, the Irish Catholic women on the show(typical catholics) were saying how anti-semitic it was, nevermind that they had never seen the movie.

Dave, where did you hear about the Judas portion? I hope you aren't reading anti-defemation league propaganda Wink

Bobby
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 09:10:02 AM »

Bobby,  I wasn't talking about The Passion, I was talking about The Last Temptation of Christ.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 11:49:17 AM »

My mistake!
Aplogies
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 01:51:46 PM »

No problem... of course, you could make it up to me by replacing my USA flag with a St. Andrew's Cross flag.  

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 01:55:45 PM »

Well, one with a white cross.   But don't worry about it.  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 02:00:34 PM »

providing it has a white cross on it - IT'S MINE

hand's off the Saltire

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2003, 08:07:13 PM »

I LOVED the trailer. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. When Jesus, covered in blood, said "My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me" I nearly lost it! (And I'm not the emotional type.)

Nevertheless, my favorite prof already has a distaste for the movie, because the languages of the Holy Land at the time were Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic.

The Romans in the Holy Land would have spoken Koine.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2003, 09:17:02 PM »

Gibson committed two mistakes.  He omitted Greek entirely, putting Latin in its place, and he did not--despite knowledge of the fact that Aramaic is spoken in certain areas--solicit the help of some Aramaic-speaking locals in his production.  I wouldn't have minded seeing a resident of Ma'loula playing the role of Jesus.  Still, judging by the trailer, Caviezel appears excellent as a Semitic Christ.  The critical test will concern his pronunciation of Aramaic.  For Semitic ears, this will require a very strong effort, as it is a difficult task for a foreigner to sound convincing to such ears.

My impression is as follows: he doesn't sound bad at all uttering his one line in the trailer (what surprised me is that the Aramaic and Arabic words for "My God" seem to sound precisely identical: "Ilahi").  However, I managed to hear him quote a few lines in a television interview, and I must say, with the hope that for convenience' sake he decided to forego utilising a proper Semitic accent, he sounded quite bad.  I can only hope that the silver screen will do to his voice what it convincingly does to his physical appearance.

In IC XC
Samer
Tags: The Passion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: