OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 11:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nymphios Service?  (Read 2043 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »

I noted yesterday in my copy of Holy Week & Easter Services complied by Fr George Papadeas and published by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, Hempstead, NY (and pretty old - I've used this book every year since 1960) that he mentions "There is a Nymphios Service on Holy Wednesday evening which is usually not heard. In its place we have the Service of the Sacrament of Holy Unction".

I think cleveland mentioned recently that the Service of Holy Unction is technically not part of Holy Week services.

What is this Nymphios service?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »

One explanation is that you would do the Unction service like at 3 pm on Wednesday, and then the bridegroom service wednesday evening (like around 7 pm). 

Unfortunately people don't or cannot show up at that time, so we only do one service.  I believe at the monasteries they do both. 

If no one else provides a more in-depth response I will attempt to...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »

Ah! Bridegroom Service.
Thanks. I think we've a thread here on that already.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »

Ah! Bridegroom Service.
Thanks. I think we've a thread here on that already. 

Yeah, Wednesday night should have a service very similar to Tues, Mon, and Sun nights - a Matins for the next day. 

Theoretically the Wednesday night service is not a "Bridegroom" or "Nymphios" service because the hymn "Behold the Bridegroom cometh," ("Idou o Nymphios erxete") isn't chanted, but rather a Troparion for the Supper and Arrest (which is done at the beginning of the chanting Thursday night also, after the Alleluias are chanted).

Otherwise, the format is similar: Alleluias, a hymn done three times, some Kathismata, Gospel reading, part of the Canon, Exapostelaria, Praises, Doxology, petitions, Aposticha, end (w/ prayer of St. Ephraim).

Our clergy Syndesmos of the Metropolis of Pittsburgh sells a book (done by Fr. Evagoras Constantinides) with the Matins of Thursday (i.e. the Wednesday night service).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »

Our clergy Syndesmos of the Metropolis of Pittsburgh sells a book (done by Fr. Evagoras Constantinides) with the Matins of Thursday (i.e. the Wednesday night service).

Also, Fr. Seraphim has set the service to music. I think it's on orthodoxmarkeplace.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »

Also, Fr. Seraphim has set the service to music. I think it's on orthodoxmarkeplace.

Really? It's funny you point that out: I was only today hearing a complaint from a cantor that this was the only service Fr. Seraphim hadn't done.

Addendum: I only saw MP3 files, no sheet music, for the Thursday matins service.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:13:43 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »

He does have it in the packet thats sold on orthodoxmarketplace...

It's the 2007 packet...in case there is a question...

It downloads as a pdf when you buy it.  It has it as Great and Holy Thursday matins (bridegroom service on holy wednesday evening) in music.  the whole thing, in english. 

Theodosopoulos' music has it as well. 

[edited to add content]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:53:33 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: