OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:47:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Baptize  (Read 690 times) Average Rating: 0
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« on: April 24, 2008, 12:51:58 AM »

I understand, and have believed all my life, that a person should be baptized in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. But there's one question I can't quite answer. Why did St. Peter say, in Acts 2:38, to be baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ?
Thanks and God Bless†

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:38:35 AM »

I understand, and have believed all my life, that a person should be baptized in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. But there's one question I can't quite answer. Why did St. Peter say, in Acts 2:38, to be baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ?
Thanks and God Bless†

Because invoking someone's name is a powerful connection (if used in a heartfelt way).  Those who were  baptized in the Lord's name were supplicating His mercy, subjugating themselves to His power, etc.  When you are baptized in the name of the Trinity, you are indeed baptized in Christ Jesus, not only as "The Son," but also through the requests in the prayers before the baptismal event (i.e. early in the service).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: