OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Truth is Realized!  (Read 1347 times) Average Rating: 0
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

I have a few comments on why I feel why there is such a vast difference in how Christians arrive at the truth,or how I see they percieve the truth. I will ask two questions: 

Does the Holy Spirit speak to individuals,which make up the Church? or Does the Holy Spirit speak to the Church,which is made up of individuals?

In the former, Truth is revealed to individuals and then it is lived out in the arena of the whole(the community),in the later the Truth is revealed to the whole(the community) in then is lived out in the lives of individuals in within that community.

The later is where I believe the Orthodox to stand,and the former is where both Protestants and Roman Catholics stand. With Protestants truth is revealed to THE individual,with Roman Catholics the individuals are the Pope,and the Magesterium,excluding the laity. This is where I believe where the divergence occurs.

Any Comments?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:43:02 AM by DennyB » Logged
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »

Peace mate. From what I understand, your thoughts are correct.

Anyone disagree?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »

I think that sounds about right.  Orthodox are more community-minded than individually-minded. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
howdydave

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »

Howdy!

If I may be allowed to ramble a bit...

I came to the Truth of Orthodoxy from Jnana Yoga (yoga of the mind.)

My more than ten year search first introduced me to the vast difference between "the truth" and "personal perception of the truth." The Truth is always out there, ever unchangeable. My being able to perceive it is quite a different story!

The way the human mind works is to set up a lot of pigeon holes based on past experiences, information, your native language (if you are an Inuit, your language may have more than 20 different words for "snow" whereas English only has one and uses modifiers) and education. In Jnana this is called "the categorical framework."

Each person looks at the world and everything else through this personal framework and superimposes it on the world around himself. Analysis and personal understanding is based on how you "pigion hole" your information.

For me it was discovering something totally new within myself and allowing God to lead me to an understanding (adding new, necessary "pigeon holes" and rearranging the old ones in such a fashion that I had an understandable perception.) Redesigning my pigion holes took a full seven years. Trying to figure out "what does this mean for me" took another three or four years. Then I found Orthodoxy -- a place where everything fit neatly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:07:35 PM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Recognition of the vastness of one's own ignorance
is the first step on the road to true wisdom!
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

Agree with everything said.

Every other Christian denomination including Catholics have crumbs of the Truth, our sweet Orthodoxy contains the whole loaf.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a sinner

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Tags: community truth 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: