OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:42:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personality Tests  (Read 7494 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 22, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »

Hey everyone,

Anyone ever taken a personality test?  I mean a serious test (but not necessarily given by a professional), and not one out of a magazine.  I've recently taken one called the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II by David Keirsey, PhD. found in his book Please Understand Me II.  It builds upon Isabel Myers' work (who built upon Carl Jung's work) of the famed Myers-Briggs duo.  The 70 questions are designed to find your 'type' such as Introverted/Extroverted, Sensory/Intuitive, Thinking/Feeling, and Judging/Perceiving.  My type is ISFJ or in otherwords Reserved, Observant, Friendly, Scheduling.  So far, it really seems spot-on.

The other test I've taken is called the Stregnths Finder by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton, PhD.  This particular test, as the name implies, is supposed to find your strengths and it's based on two million interviews and several Gallup polls.  For this particular test, you need to purchase the book Now, Discover Your Stregnths.  Inside, you'll find a code that you log into their website with and take the test.  It lists your top 5 strengths.  I'm still studying my results, but I was surprised by a few of my supposed 'strengths'. 

Have any of y'all ever taken either of these tests or any other test of this nature?  Did you agree with the results?  Were you surprised by the results?

In Christ,
Gabriel   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

I took the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II some time ago-one of my siblings found it online for free. The results seemed very accurate. If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find the website that offered it for free...

Here it is: (it might only be a modified version of the real thing, though)

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes3.asp

I was ISFP (Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving-with Perceiving being a very small percentage, not surprising- laugh)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:17:43 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:56:19 PM »

I took Strengthsquest a while back.  I didn't really resonate with all of it, but most of it was good.  Now that you caused me to look back at it, it is even more true now.  But I still take exception to the stuff that I didn't like back then. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »

INTJ (Introverted, Intuition, Thinking, Judging) for myself.  I had to take the best in first year Psych.   Smiley  I'd have to say it fits me perfectly.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »

I've seen (and tried for curiosity's sake) several of these types of tests, though I don't remember any names. One was soley based on color preferences. Most times, however, they were a series of questions with answers of the "definitly yes to definitly no" or  "always to never" type.  A lot of them would lump several traits together into different catagories. I even saw one that was supposed to identify something called Spiritual Gifts.
I always felt they were only so-so in identifying me. But, then, how I would answer the questions would vary greatly on what my mood was at the time. I would end up with vastly different results if I did the same test in different moods.
I tend to follow the philosophy that you can see what you want to find.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »

The last couple of times I took it in college I was an INFP: Introverted, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »

INTJ (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging), but Intuitive was only at 50%, so I guess I'm bordering on ISTJ.

And this line from the description describes me perfectly, "Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead." Hah.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »

When I did the Myers-Briggs in university, I was ENTJ.
What I particulally find it useful for is helping teams of co-workers understand how each person "operates", but I must say, I've had better success in such groups using the Enneagram. People seem to take to it much easier- possibly because the personality types are more easily understood. I'm a Seven with an Eight Wing on the Enneagram.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:25:55 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:20:13 AM »

Interesting. I was unaware of the Enneagram. I took the non-scientific, sampler test, and I scored highest on type 1.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:20:44 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »

Hmm...I liek the Enneagram, but what do I do with this result?

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
2           5           5        5         3        5        4        1         6

I guess I'm definately not a Reformer or Challenger, but I'm nearly evenly divided among the Peacemaker, Helper, Achiever, Individualist, and Loyalist. No wonder I've been accused of having more than one personality!  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:42:01 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »

Interesting. I was unaware of the Enneagram. I took the non-scientific, sampler test, and I scored highest on type 1.

Ditto.  The Reformer was the one I scored the highest on, with the rest falling well behind.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »

^ I scored a 1 on Type 2, but everything else was 4-6. I'm curious to see what the scientific test says.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 11:43:51 AM »

I really couldn't tell. I found most of the questions virtually impossible to answer.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 01:44:55 PM »

I really couldn't tell. I found most of the questions virtually impossible to answer.
My sentiments exactly.  Let's look at the two examples below.

1. I have been
         romantic and imaginative.
         pragmatic and down to earth.

Well most people have been both so which one are we supposed to go with?

2. I have tended to
         take on confrontations.
         avoid confrontations.

This depends on the setting.  Am I at work talking with my boss or am I around town dealing with an erratic driver?  If I'm at work, I try to keep the peace.  But if I'm not at work I'll be a little more assertive and aggressive if it's called for.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »

Don't forget these.  My answer is How should I know?Huh No one's ever bothered to tell me!!!!!

Others have depended on my
         insight and knowledge.
         strength and decisiveness.

My habit of
         being "stand-offish" has annoyed people.
         telling people what to do has annoyed people.

I've been appreciated for my
         unsinkable spirit and great sense of humor.
         quiet strength and exceptional generosity.

Much of my success has been
         due to my talent for making a favorable impression.
         achieved despite my lack of interest in developing "interpersonal skills

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »

I haven't seen the Enneagram before either.  My highest was Type Four, but only by one point and types Seven and Nine were tied:

Type Four
The Individualist. The introspective, romantic type. Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity. At their Best: inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences.

Type Seven
The Enthusiast. The busy, productive type. Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming overextended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.

Type Nine
The Peacemaker. The easy-going, self-effacing type. Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At their Best: indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »

Hey everyone,

Anyone ever taken a personality test?  I mean a serious test (but not necessarily given by a professional), and not one out of a magazine.  I've recently taken one called the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II by David Keirsey, PhD. found in his book Please Understand Me II.  It builds upon Isabel Myers' work (who built upon Carl Jung's work) of the famed Myers-Briggs duo.  The 70 questions are designed to find your 'type' such as Introverted/Extroverted, Sensory/Intuitive, Thinking/Feeling, and Judging/Perceiving.  My type is ISFJ or in otherwords Reserved, Observant, Friendly, Scheduling.  So far, it really seems spot-on.

The other test I've taken is called the Stregnths Finder by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton, PhD.  This particular test, as the name implies, is supposed to find your strengths and it's based on two million interviews and several Gallup polls.  For this particular test, you need to purchase the book Now, Discover Your Stregnths.  Inside, you'll find a code that you log into their website with and take the test.  It lists your top 5 strengths.  I'm still studying my results, but I was surprised by a few of my supposed 'strengths'. 

Have any of y'all ever taken either of these tests or any other test of this nature?  Did you agree with the results?  Were you surprised by the results?

In Christ,
Gabriel   

I just took one of those tests yesterday, and came out ISFJ.  Most of the traits listed are me.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »

The last couple of times I took it in college I was an INFP: Introverted, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving.

"F" is for feeling, not thinking. So are you an INTJ then?

I am an INTJ/INTP I tend to split the J/P categories most of the time. And more and more often as I grow older I get closer and closer to an INFJ/INFP classification.

I think it really depends upon moods for me.

My mother was a psych major so I took ALOT of these tests.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »

Type 1   Type 2   Type 3   Type 4   Type 5   Type 6   Type 7   Type 8   Type 9
   3            3         4           4         7            2          3           7           3

For the feeling triad I am a type 3:

The Achiever. The adaptable, success-oriented type. Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

For the thinking triad I am a type 5:

The Investigator: The Functions of Mental Focus and Expert Knowledge—The potential for curiosity, perceptiveness, the acquisition of knowledge, inventive originality, and technical expertise. Negatively, the potential for speculative theorizing, emotional detachment, eccentricity, social isolation, and mental projections.

For the instintive triad I am a type 8:

The Challenger. The powerful, aggressive type. Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable. At their Best: self-mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:58:39 PM by Quinault » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

Did some research into the Enneagram test and really enjoyed it.  I bought the book Personality Types- Using The Enneagram For Self-Discovery by Don Riso and Russ Hudson.  I took the the 144 question exam 3 times (once each week over the last three weeks) and each time my 'score' or personality type remained the same- Type 9; The Peacemaker with a One Wing.  I was simply amazed at how everything just 'clicked' into place.  I think I'll be studying this book for quite some time.  If anyone is interested in the book, here's a descriptioin.   http://www.amazon.com/Personality-Types-Using-Enneagram-Self-Discovery/dp/0395798671

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: