OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 09:05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Reading for Those New to Orthodoxy  (Read 16002 times) Average Rating: 5
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »

Does anyone know of another Orthodox book approaching an introduction to Christianity via the Creed?

Another great idea.  Hopefully someone will know of a good one.

I'm disappointed that there aren't better Intro to Xtianity books, from an Orthodox perspective.  Wouldn't this benefit evangelization efforts to non-Christians to have these?

Mere Christianity seems to be a good suggestion for those looking for a basic intro that's easily digestible. Are there other suggestions, perhaps from other portions of Christianity (since we apparently don't have any/many).

Additionally, any podcasts that would accomplish similar goals of introduction to the Christian faith in a basic but meaningful and accurate fashion?  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:20:26 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »

While it is Coptic Orthodox, not Byzantine, Ibn Kabar's 14th century treatise "The Lamp that Lights the Darkness In Clarifying the Service" has an entire chapter that goes through the Creed line by line. I only have this text in a partial translation, with the first four chapters only (of 24 total), but it is still quite fascinating.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:16 AM »

While it is Coptic Orthodox, not Byzantine, Ibn Kabar's 14th century treatise "The Lamp that Lights the Darkness In Clarifying the Service" has an entire chapter that goes through the Creed line by line. I only have this text in a partial translation, with the first four chapters only (of 24 total), but it is still quite fascinating.

Do you think this would serve well for a person with little background knowledge on Christianity?  Sounds great to me, but do you think it would be accessible and easy to comprehend (remember, you are a linguist with an affinity for theology and arcane and archaic documents)?  If so, what's the best way to get ahold of it?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:28 AM »

Do you think this would serve well for a person with little background knowledge on Christianity?  Sounds great to me, but do you think it would be accessible and easy to comprehend (remember, you are a linguist with an affinity for theology and arcane and archaic documents)?  If so, what's the best way to get ahold of it?

It might not be the first thing I would reach for, but if other options are exhausted, I don't see why it couldn't augment other books. I forgot to mention it, but it also includes a summary of Bishop Severus Ibn al-Muqaffaa's (a.k.a. Severus of Al-Ashmunein; d. 987) similar line-by-line exposition of the Creed, which goes into a bit more depth. I mainly mentioned this book because the poster had asked for such a line-by-line analysis, and in this work there are two. The text is not terribly difficult in itself (in terms of theological vocabulary used, which is not complicated), though the pdf I have is marked as a preliminary translation, and as such is somewhat rough. Much better than if I were to try to read it in Arabic, though! Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where I got it, but searching for Ibn Kabar and/or the title should bring it up. I'm sure it's available on Coptic sites.

A sample (from ch. 2 "The Orthodox Creed", pg. 47):

Our Saying: Begotten not made, Consubstantial with the Father:

Here the fathers (of the Church) showed the error of Arios in his saying: “The word of
God is created, newly made, and had a lord?” And he also claimed that the it is not
comprehensible that the word was born of the father unless he had to suffer the pain and
symptoms associated with (human) birth. John Chrysostom said in his book the explanation of
the creation: We do not deny- even if we knew with clear evidence and prior knowledge- that the
Word of God is born of the essence of the Father. He is not created. for this we do not question
how He was born of the Father, as we do not question how the creator created the creation.” But
the fathers did emphasize (that He is of the same essence as the Father) by their saying:
“Consubstantial with the Father” (of the same essence) since Arios states (differently) that the
creator is of three different essences, an old essence that is the Father, and two newer ones, that
is the Son and the Holy Spirit. The learned ones told us that: the Son is equal (one) with the
Father in His essence.” He is equivalent to Him in Essence,” and that: “Through Him all creation
was made,” as the Prophet David, said: “For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Thy
faithfulness is unto all generations: thou hast established the earth, and it abideth.” (Psalms
119:89-90). The holy gospel said: “All things were made by him; and without him was not any
thing made that was made.” (John 1:3). And the Apostle said: “For by him were all things
created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or
dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is
before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who
is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell;” (Colossians 1:16-19). And this is
the response to Onamios and his followers who agrees with Arios and his corrupt sayings.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 04:32:59 AM »

Thanks for the response and information, dzheremi.

izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »

Does anyone know of another Orthodox book approaching an introduction to Christianity via the Creed?

Another great idea.  Hopefully someone will know of a good one.

I'm disappointed that there aren't better Intro to Xtianity books, from an Orthodox perspective.  Wouldn't this benefit evangelization efforts to non-Christians to have these?

Mere Christianity seems to be a good suggestion for those looking for a basic intro that's easily digestible. Are there other suggestions, perhaps from other portions of Christianity (since we apparently don't have any/many).

Additionally, any podcasts that would accomplish similar goals of introduction to the Christian faith in a basic but meaningful and accurate fashion?  

For sure evangelization would benefit from better books and resources. I hope we can do more. Ancient Faith Radio, for example, is a very effective tool. Speaking of which, podcast-wise, you might check out Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy lecture series on AFR. There is a fair amount of terminology, but in one of the first podcasts in the series, he tries to define some of the key terms and ideas. Then, if you are dealing with people from religious backgrounds of a non-Christian type, he does treat the world's major faith traditions. If the person is entirely faithless or atheist, that would probably be the greatest shortcoming. It is a great series, though. He is a talented lecturer.

I must say, I am right now halfway through this book called "The Faith: Understanding Orthodox Christianity, An Orthodox Catechism" by Clark Carlton. It is great! I think it could be a good resource even for the total newcomer. I was worried it would be super complex since it is a catechism, but it is actually very readable. Each chapter treats a major topic concisely, then has a paragraph or two of patristic writings on that topic, then drills down with some sort of topical application, and is followed by review questions. Carlton walks through fundamental teachings like the Incarnation in ways that are interesting to me as someone familiar with them but I think would also be approachable for the uninitiated.

Lastly, if you want to go beyond Orthodoxy, the single best conversion memoir I've ever read is "The Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton. It was that book that shook me awake from the most faithless, debauched year of my life--indeed, maybe it even saved my life. It is not really an introduction to Christianity doctrinally, but I would call it an introduction to Christian life and conversion.
asdamick
I'm Lithuanian Orthodox. You've probably never heard of it.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

For sure evangelization would benefit from better books and resources. I hope we can do more. Ancient Faith Radio, for example, is a very effective tool. Speaking of which, podcast-wise, you might check out Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy lecture series on AFR. There is a fair amount of terminology, but in one of the first podcasts in the series, he tries to define some of the key terms and ideas. Then, if you are dealing with people from religious backgrounds of a non-Christian type, he does treat the world's major faith traditions. If the person is entirely faithless or atheist, that would probably be the greatest shortcoming. It is a great series, though. He is a talented lecturer.

Thanks for your kind words.  Regarding your last comment about atheism, it's worth noting that I put an appendix on atheism and agnosticism in the book version of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, which is considerably revised and expanded in comparison to the podcast.  It can be purchased in both paperback and as an e-book at the following sites:

http://www.conciliarpress.com/products/Orthodoxy-and-Heterodoxy.html
http://www.amazon.com/Orthodoxy-Heterodoxy-Andrew-Stephen-Damick/dp/1936270137
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/orthodoxy-and-heterodoxy-fr-andrew-damick/1113639532?ean=2940013515208
choy
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »

Thanks for your kind words.  Regarding your last comment about atheism, it's worth noting that I put an appendix on atheism and agnosticism in the book version of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, which is considerably revised and expanded in comparison to the podcast.  It can be purchased in both paperback and as an e-book at the following sites:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/orthodoxy-and-heterodoxy-fr-andrew-damick/1113639532?ean=2940013515208

I just want to say I love your work, Father.
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

Wow, this reminds me of the first time a comedian tweeted back at me on Twitter! Father, I'd heard rumors you posted here. I am glad to see them confirmed. I got through your lecture series faster than any podcast archive I've yet to encounter--Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy is whatever the audio equivalent of a pageturner would be. I have a big stack of Orthodox books to get through at the moment, but I intend to include your book in the next batch I order. Thank you for your hard work!
asdamick
I'm Lithuanian Orthodox. You've probably never heard of it.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »

Wow, this reminds me of the first time a comedian tweeted back at me on Twitter! Father, I'd heard rumors you posted here. I am glad to see them confirmed. I got through your lecture series faster than any podcast archive I've yet to encounter--Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy is whatever the audio equivalent of a pageturner would be. I have a big stack of Orthodox books to get through at the moment, but I intend to include your book in the next batch I order. Thank you for your hard work!

You're welcome!  Thanks for listening and reading!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »

Fr. Vassilios Papavassiliou - Journey to the Kingdom
Clare G.

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »

Apologies for not returning here earlier. Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

I'm reluctant to recommend podcasts because I don't listen to any myself (I have a hearing problem). I prefer to offer a book that I have personally read and can, if appropriate, suggest sections to start on or to skip.

I especially like the sound of Fr Papavassiliou's book (and have ordered a copy; thank you Orthodox 11). Both these enquirers are already coming to our Sunday services; we are a small mission church with a monastic pattern of weekday and Sunday services, with Liturgy only once a month. I would not call them atheists or even agnostics: they simply have no knowledge of Christianity. This makes most of the books that explain Orthodoxy to the heterodox inappropriate. Yet it is wonderful (and a great responsibility) that in the new country to which they have come, they have been introduced to Orthodoxy first.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

"The Faith of the Saints: A Catechism of the Eastern Orthodox Church" St. Nikolaj Velimirovic. It is a very easy introductory book about Orthodox Christianity

Free sample of the book available online
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41594495/St-Nikolaj-Velimirovic-The-Origin-and-the-Source-of-the-Orthodox-Church-the-Faith-of-the-Holy

Enjoy!  Wink
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:54:12 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »

The Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos Markides is a book that helped me a lot. It's about the Athonite tradition of Christian spirituality and prayer of the heart.

The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes the author expresses views that don't quite agree with "orthodox" Orthodoxy, but it's fairly easy to tell when he is giving his own interpretation instead of the interpretation of the Church. He is an academically trained sociologist, which at least partially accounts for some of his non-traditional interpretations of things. But on the whole it is a good book.

Our priest read page 85 to us catechumens and it was AWESOME. Gave us true insight into suffering and the meaning of, why, etc.
Praise God.

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

The Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Mogila.

On a OC.net diet.
Mrs. Jord

Faith: Catholic marrying Orthodox

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »

Great suggestions in this thread.  Right now, I'm reading "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware.  I decided to start with this book first, because I think I need to get a better foundation of the history of the church before I start getting into some theological details. 

I have to say it's seriously one of the best books I've ever read.  It's hard to put down.  He packs a ton of history in just about 327 pages, and it's accommodating to people coming from a Latin/Western perspective, which is a good thing.  I think everyone understands how off-putting it can be to read something about another denomination, or religion, only to find the author is abrasive, or inflammatory against your own church, or beliefs.

Anyway, after I finish this book, which should be soon, I'll be looking to find a book that covers some of the differences between Catholicism, and Orthodoxy. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »

The Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Mogila.

The Longer Catechism of The Orthodox, Catholic, Eastern Church by St. Philaret of Moscow
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:11 AM »

Anyway, after I finish this book, which should be soon, I'll be looking to find a book that covers some of the differences between Catholicism, and Orthodoxy.

This is what you need. Shop around, though, because prices can vary widely.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Robert scho

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

Hi to all and blessings;

-ORTHODOX STUDY BIBLE
-Becoming Orthodox-Fr Peter Guiliquist
-Anything by St.Theophan the recluse
-The Orthodox way-Kalistos Ware(or any by him)
-Elder Paisos
-Father George Calciu-Interviews & Homilies
-Homilies on Revelation-Athanasios Mitilinaos
-Anything by St John Chrysostom
-Orthodox Dogmatic Theology-"as a reference to Orthodoxy"
-Anything by Archbishop Lazar Puhalo-(particularly,"The Soul, The Body And Death)-Excellent work by him
-Eusebius-History of the church-
-In Search Of The Truth-Nicholas Mavromagoulos-(This book sheds light on the truth behind the Jehovas Witnesses doctrine and history)

To name a few, The Orthodox churches I've been to have had nice book stores with many titles Ideal for new members,just take your time,read the back cover first and understand exactly what it is first.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:08:45 PM by Robert scho » Logged

For a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful; and a good defense before the dread judgement seat of Christ, let us ask of the Lord.
And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »

-The Didache

-St. Ignatius of Antioch

-St. Irenaeus

-St. Hilary of Poitiers

-St. Vincent of Lerins

-St. Athanasius of Alexandria

That's what I used. I don't have the privilege of spending money on books.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Mrs. Jord

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  It seems to have gotten a few bad reviews on Amazon, but I don't know how seriously to take those.

I'm looking into renting The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture by John Anthony McGuckin.  At $42.03 for a new paperback copy, it's just too expensive to buy.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »

The Orthodox Faith, Fr. Thomas Hopko

http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  It seems to have gotten a few bad reviews on Amazon, but I don't know how seriously to take those.

I'm looking into renting The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture by John Anthony McGuckin.  At $42.03 for a new paperback copy, it's just too expensive to buy.

Don't forget about your public library. If your local library doesn't have Orthodox books then ask them for inter-library loan forms sp you can request such books from different libraries free of charge.
Mrs. Jord

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

Books I'm reading right now:

-"Changing Churches: An Orthodox, Catholic, and Lutheran Theological Conversation" by Mickey L. Mattox & A.G. Roeber
-"His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic: An Orthodox Perspective" by Laurent A Cleenewerck
Fire-Bird2014
Warned

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian/Serbian Church

Have Faith!

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »

TO ANYONE who has trouble accepting God with an open heart, I would recommend  The Search for Truth on the Path of Reason , the book by Aleksey Osipov, a well known Russian Orthodox theologian, professor and lecturer ("Truth" being "Christ"). He understands that many of us have issues accepting "blind faith" as a compass in life. This is why he reasons with those, poisoned by materialistic education. It is his only book translated into English. First few Chapters are intellectually challenging but the language is clear and logic is superb. This book appeals to those who love to read and think.

My favorite part is available for reading online
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/53476.htm

INTRODUCTION to the book

This book fills the order of a needed genre: Christian Apologetics for intellectual seekers and products of the Age of Reason. The author believes that, “It is natural for a Christian to know ‘the certainty of those things, wherein he has been instructed’ (cf. Lk. 1:4). But, as the Apostle Peter writes, you should be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear (1 Pet. 3:15).”

Prof. Osipov presents an overview of Western philosophy, the roots of religion and atheism, the relationship between religion and science, different forms of paganism, spiritual experience, and other related topics. He provides intelligent and clear arguments against atheism, and clearly delineates between all the various religious experiences, contrasting them with Orthodox experience and patristic teaching. This book has proved invaluable for seminary students and pastors in Russia as that country emerges from decades of religious persecution and a militant atheist regime. The Western philosophies and systems of thought described in this overview have left such a deep impressions on our society as well that we can scarcely see beyond their influence.

Osipov shows also the flip-side of Western rationalism, which is the various forms of mysticism and paganism that continually reproduce themselves in different guises. This book can help us to discern all of these trends, manifestations, and world views from an Orthodox, patristic perspective.

The book also includes a description of how Igumen Nikon (Vorobyev), who was Prof. Osipov’s spiritual guide and instructor from an early age, came to a sure and direct knowledge of God after desperate years of fruitless searching through science, philosophy, and psychology. He finally found the truth in his native Orthodox Christian religion; he then embarked upon the infinitely fulfilling study of the “science of sciences,” found in the unanimous experience of the fathers of our Church.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:39:50 AM by Fire-Bird2014 » Logged

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.
Привнесите светлое, и тьма уидет!!!
Tags: Convert Books 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: