Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 347562 times)

William T and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2925 on: July 13, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
Wise Blood

Nahm gunna tell you I ain't no preacha

Love the book. How is the movie?

Selam
It's one of those 70s films you play in the background on a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon while you do house chores.

It was alright, I'm sure the book is better though.

I don't know what movies you like Gebre to give you a recommendation.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it though. If you can catch it on AMC or TCM or some movie channel.

Thanks brother.

I'm more into character driven dramas. I also like good suspense/thrillers. I pretty much hate action movies and sci-fi.

Selam
"God is a consuming fire. And His fire is love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
  • Americanism, Not Globalism, Will Be Our Credo
« Reply #2926 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam
It's one of those 70s films you play in the background on a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon while you do house chores.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it though. If you can catch it on AMC or TCM or some movie channel.

Thanks brother.

I'm more into character driven dramas. I also like good suspense/thrillers. I pretty much hate action movies and sci-fi.

Selam

I think we need to qualify sci-fi. I think there is really good sci-fi that makes you think, that has great ideas within them but usually these aren't action sci-fi (or it can be like Minority Report that has very interesting ideas and raises interesting ethical/moral questions but unfortunately doesn't flesh that out well enough and you're left with another action movie in the second half.)

Then you have the sci-fi that's your brainless aliens, blowing stuff up, dystopian, action schlocky kind of stuff.

Sci-fi can be a mixed bag, but I think the best ones explore what it means to be human and our relationship to technology, power, science, etc.

I'm with you on the character driven stuff and suspense/thrillers, I have to agree that's more of what I enjoy the most.

Although I still enjoy popcorn turn-off-your-brain movies like Armageddon or Raiders of the Lost Ark.
“Their throat is an open grave;
    they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”

Romans 3:13

"How many Christians live for appearances? Their life seems like a soap bubble." - Pope Francis

• Merarches
« Reply #2927 on: July 13, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

I think we need to qualify sci-fi. I think there is really good sci-fi that makes you think, that has great ideas within them but usually these aren't action sci-fi (or it can be like Minority Report that has very interesting ideas and raises interesting ethical/moral questions but unfortunately doesn't flesh that out well enough and you're left with another action movie in the second half.)

Then you have the sci-fi that's your brainless aliens, blowing stuff up, dystopian, action schlocky kind of stuff.

Sci-fi can be a mixed bag, but I think the best ones explore what it means to be human and our relationship to technology, power, science, etc.

I'm with you on the character driven stuff and suspense/thrillers, I have to agree that's more of what I enjoy the most.

Although I still enjoy popcorn turn-off-your-brain movies like Armageddon or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

For example, I hated The Matrix. Everyone kept telling me it was the greatest movie ever, and I thought it sucked.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2928 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

For example, I hated The Matrix. Everyone kept telling me it was the greatest movie ever, and I thought it sucked.

Selam
I hear you on the Matrix eventhough I don't agree.

An yeah it's like people who told me the same thing regarding Magnolia. What pretentious trash.

"How many Christians live for appearances? Their life seems like a soap bubble." - Pope Francis

• Merarches
« Reply #2929 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

Selam
I hear you on the Matrix eventhough I don't agree.

An yeah it's like people who told me the same thing regarding Magnolia. What pretentious trash.

Have you seen Into The Wild? It's one of my favorites. Great character driven drama based on a true story.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2930 on: July 15, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
No I haven't seen that movie and I'm not really a fan of Chris McCandless.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2931 on: July 15, 2016, 02:01:06 AM »
What are some movies that you can never watch alone at night with the lights off?

My vote goes for Don't Look Now.

Offline nikolaj

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #2932 on: July 15, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
What are some movies that you can never watch alone at night with the lights off?

Studio 54

• Merarches
« Reply #2933 on: July 15, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
No I haven't seen that movie and I'm not really a fan of Chris McCandless.

A controversial figure indeed. I certainly don't endorse his worldview, but the movie really is well done and has a lot of redemptive themes throughout. Good acting, great dialogue, not over the top or overly dramatic. Very real. I liked it very much.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RaphaCam

• Hyperdox kid
  • OC.net guru
  • The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2934 on: July 16, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »

Pretty sure Sinister was the movie which freaked me out the most, and I watched it with my cousin under daylight.
But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Holy Habakkuk 2:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2935 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:16 AM »
Have you seen Into The Wild? It's one of my favorites. Great character driven drama based on a true story.

Selam

Hear hear.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline byhisgrace

• OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #2936 on: July 17, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »
Finding Dory was okay. I thought it would be better, but maybe I set my expectations too high, because everyone I asked told me it was good. I personally found Dory's short-term memory loss to be more annoying than humorous.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:26:27 PM by byhisgrace »
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2937 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
I saw 'Finding Dory' too. It was pretty good. :)

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2938 on: July 17, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »
I saw 'Finding Dory' too. It was pretty good. :)

Terrible, absolutely terrible.  More evidence that Hollywood is out of good ideas.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2939 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
More evidence that Hollywood is out of good ideas.

They don't make movies like Sweet Smell of Success anymore.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2940 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Paris, Texas
Night of the Hunter

Must sees for anyone that loves good movies. These are superb.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #2941 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Finally watched Deadpool. Very entertaining if not exceedingly vulgar. Ryan Reynolds more  than made up for the disaster that was Green Lantern.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2942 on: July 25, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
Last night I saw Planet of the Apes starring Charlton Heston.  We have a movie complex in town that occasionally shows older films.  I have seen the film on T. V. before but not on the big screen.  I thought it was a very interesting idea that humans blew it with their civilization, so apes took their place.

Offline byhisgrace

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2943 on: July 25, 2016, 11:06:13 PM »
I did not enjoy The Infiltrator very much. I liked Bryan Cranston's acting, but the others never really stood out. I only give it a pass from the fact that it's based on a true story (meaning that you shouldn't expect too much drama and action).

Offline byhisgrace

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2944 on: July 26, 2016, 01:21:04 AM »
Last night I saw Planet of the Apes starring Charlton Heston.  We have a movie complex in town that occasionally shows older films.  I have seen the film on T. V. before but not on the big screen.  I thought it was a very interesting idea that humans blew it with their civilization, so apes took their place.
I really enjoyed the two most recent ones. :)

Offline juliogb

« Reply #2945 on: July 26, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
The last movie I watched was Shutter Island, very good movie, I love psychollogical thrillers.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2946 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »
A local shop was having a clearout and we loaded up on Dreamworks stuff for the young one. He went through Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Joseph, King of Dreams (the companion piece to The Prince of Egypt) and The Road to El Dorado in a day. ;D
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2947 on: July 31, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2948 on: August 07, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

It was better than I thought it'd be. Most that I've laughed while watching a movie in a couple years. I'd give it 8 deteriorating imperial star destroyers out of 10.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #2949 on: August 07, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

It was better than I thought it'd be. Most that I've laughed while watching a movie in a couple years. I'd give it 8 deteriorating imperial star destroyers out of 10.

I'd give it 4 Y-wings out of 5.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #2950 on: August 07, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
The last movie I watched was Shutter Island, very good movie, I love psychollogical thrillers.

FOr a Leonardo DiC(r)aprio movie, it is very good.  Good supporting cast too with Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley and Max von Sydow.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2951 on: August 14, 2016, 01:32:34 AM »
A friendly reminder: Just because a movie is animated doesn't mean it's appropriate for children!

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of unsuspecting parents who find that out the hard way.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2952 on: August 14, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
A friendly reminder: Just because a movie is animated doesn't mean it's appropriate for children!

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of unsuspecting parents who find that out the hard way.

Certainly not if it's a Richard Linklater vehicle (I'm sure rotoscoping counts as animation in many people's books).

OT: We finally got to watch Les Miserables, after owning the DVD for months. A thoroughly enjoyable time was had by all, and the young one was stimulated to ask all sorts of questions on justice and the law. 8)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #2953 on: August 14, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
Finally got around to watching Avengers: Age of Ultron[/b] and Ant-Man.  Disappointed in Avengers and Ant-Man was ok.

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
  • Netodoxy - Casting the first stone since 33 AD
  • Jurisdiction: The most diseased part of the EP
« Reply #2954 on: August 14, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
Suicide Squad

I did like it. It got overtly melodramatic only during last few minutes unlike what I expected and I actually liked the characters. Especially Joker and Harley Quinn. But then again I like superhero movies anyway.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Hyperdox kid
  • OC.net guru
  • The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan!
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2955 on: August 14, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »

I remember the absolute horror I felt when I was 8/9 years old and watched Happy Tree Friends the first time. My parents found it scrolling through the hotel's TV channels and thought it was a good choice.

If anyone is curious (TW: unusual violence)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:20:32 PM by RaphaCam »
But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Holy Habakkuk 2:20)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2956 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:35 AM »
I do not often watch movies on TV, but I was sick last Sunday.

Shaun the Sheep The Movie - I hoped it would be as far away from depressing as possible and it was. I liked it. It was on Hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/966504

Hulu then recommended  Planet Hulk, but I could tell from the color of Hulk that I would throw up some time during the movie.

The next on the list was Lalaloopsy Festival of Sugary Sweets. http://www.hulu.com/watch/932183; I rate this movie highly for someone on mind altering drugs that would appreciate the color schemes. I had to imagine my way through this perspective in order to rate this 45 min movie accordingly. I liked it in general but I would not blame others from hating it who are more sane.

The next movie on the list was Lalaloopsy Girls: Welcome to L.A.L.A. Prep School.  http://www.hulu.com/watch/911421. I fell in love with Storm E. Sky's sarcastic persona, but she gave up to readily when her newly found sister Cloud E. Sky rejected her (she was obnoxious in my opinion).

Although not the greatest movies, I am going to use "Stitched together...Friends Forever" on the next rare occasion when I agree with Ialmisry. "ST...FF rules"!

The final movie prior to cooking dinner was the Three Penny Opera. http://www.hulu.com/watch/223243. The 1931 Pabst/Brecht/Weill production. Still relevant in regard to politics.

Online William T

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2957 on: Today at 07:59:53 PM »
Someone asked me what my favorite "British movies" were.  That's kind of an odd duck question, and one I never thought of before.  EIther way, it really got me thinking and overwhelemd me a bit.  There was so much I wanted to say.   How do you count what movies are "British"?  I guess if something was made in Hollywood it is not British (so that will exclude, for example, a lot of Hitchcock and Charlie Chaplin).  British Films I guess then would include movies like Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lydon or Terry Gilliam's Brazil.  What about Irish films?  I guess they should be included.

Another rule I put on myself was to not overload things with one genre or creative group of people.  For example A Fish Called Wanda, Life of Brian, Holy Grail, and Brazil are all top candidates, I would only want to mention one or two at most.  Also I wanted to limit "great adaptations of English literary classics". I don't think we need a list taken over by the best Shakespeare, Dickens, Austin etc.  That's probably another category unto itself.  A movie like Barry Lydon can get on because it's definitely a work of film first and foremost.

I can say I think the most overrated Brit Film is GandhiTootsie and ET were better movies, and this by the book kind of biopic won.  I love epics, and I have nothing against biopics..I just think there is a lot of landmines (too much temptation for hagiography, or "deconstruction", or the author's own ideas) surrounding the genre of biopics and it often always falls flat. A counter point in British movies would beLawrence of Arabia, and while I think that is slightly overrated it is still an all time great film, just not "best ever".  This just goes to show that these aren't Iron Clad rules or anything, just tendencies.

Which brings up an odd trivia fact, British movies that won Oscars tend to be overrated (not bad, just overrated):  Shakespeare in Love, Chariots of Fire, Lawrence Olivier's Hamlet, The English Patient (which is a bad movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qalNX5G94) are not the best of British film and not among the best Oscar winners.

Anyway here's my list in no particular order:

1. The Red Shoes.  I only allowed myself to mention one Archer's movie.  I could very easily have mentioned 4 or more films.  Black Narcissus would be a close second.  Both of these my be my personal favorite Brit Films of All Time, and a couple more are not far behind.

2. The Bridge Over the  River Kwai.  Is it better than Lawrence of Arabia?  Maybe not, but I think it's a bit more watchable.  Maybe I should've picked A Brief Encounter, but Bridge is more epic in scope and edges out Zhivago - plus Zhivago is about Ruskies and not Brits.

3. Barry Lydon.  The lighting still dazzles me.  Clockwork Orange is great and a classic, and ought be watched by film lovers, but I think it's slightl overrated.

4. The Quiet Man.  Read the short story if you liked this movie.

5. The 39 Steps.  Hitchcock has to be on this list.  This is his best none Hollywood work.

6. A Fish Called Wanda.  THis is almost interchangeble with Holy Grail, and Life of Brian...but I think it edges them out.

7.  Brazil.  Different enough from the other Monty Python stuff to include on here.

8. The Ladykillers

9. Dr. No.  I guess this is interchangeable with Thunderball, Goldfinger, or even Skyfall.  I guess it just depends how you feel that day.  This was the first though, and Ursula Andress is the most memorable Bond Girl.

10. Trainspotting

11. The Madness of King George.  There are probably 50 better British films, I just wanted to throw an off the cuff movie that I happen to like.  It was between this or the Ipcrese FIles

12. The Crying Game.  It was between this or  My Left Foot for a modern Irish representative.  It's been awhile since I saw any of them.

13. Kind Hearts and Coronets. Hilarious.

14. 1946 Great Expectations.  Probably the best movie adaptation of an English Classic.  I think, as I said, because "British Classics" are a genre in themselves this is a different enough David Lean movie to include on the list.  At least according to my ad hoc rules and logic.

15. The Italian Job.  I think I have man crush's on Michael Caine and Alec Guiness

16. A Hard Days Night.  I only wanted to mention 15, and this shouldn't be on the list but I love the Beatles too much not to include it.  Regardless, it's a great film in it's own right.

Those were my initial thoughts.  That could all change if I continue obsessing over this question.  I don't know why unimportant questions like this get to me.  Maybe because I'm cooped up in my house for the next three days and idle minds...
« Last Edit: Today at 08:14:52 PM by William T »
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."