Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 529979 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2925 on: August 07, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
Buffy season 2

My wife is making noises about possibly rewatching the series soon. I admit to enjoying it, though many bits annoy me and I find Joss Whedon basically a very clever stupid writer. My favorite season is definitely the third one. There was never a better villain.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #2926 on: August 07, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
Yep, we've agreed before on Whedon's writing. You know how when you have a conversation with someone, then you replay it in your mind a few hours later and re-write what you said because it sounds cooler? That's how Whedon writes his dialogue.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2927 on: August 07, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
Did you watch the new Twin Peaks yet, Iconodule?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2928 on: August 07, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
No. I really need to get to that.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2929 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
No. I really need to get to that.
Yes please do, looking forward to your opinions on it.

Its one of those shows, like Whedon's, where its simultaneously hot garbage and some kind of brilliance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2930 on: August 07, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
The other thing I cant stand about Whedon's creations is how most of his characters are obnoxiously smug, snarky and whipsmart. Its like watching an ensemble of hipsters.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2931 on: August 09, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
Iron Fist Season 1 is every bit the tepid mess the critics say it is. What a wasted opportunity.
- Berdyaev

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2932 on: August 09, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
Illuminati TV
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2933 on: August 09, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
Husband is watching Haven on his computer, and I'm drowning it out with Leverage on mine. Fun times.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2934 on: August 13, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »
Watched about 10 minutes of Happy Sugar Life...

"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2935 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
I don't get 30 Rock... I know that it's supposed to be quirky, but is the acting supposed to be bad? Is it like an ironic ha-ha joke thing?
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2936 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
Better Call Saul

Good stuff!

Selam

I think Season 4 is shaping up to be the best one yet...

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #2937 on: August 28, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
Did you watch the new Twin Peaks yet, Iconodule?

I'm not Iconodule but thought I'd mention my husband & I watched that last year when it originally aired. Let's just say you'll either find the last episode thought-provoking (as my husband did) or infuriating (as I did, right before I threw the remote across the room and said, "Let's just go back to 'Seinfeld' reruns for a while!!!").
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2938 on: August 31, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
Shakespeare's A-level results day message sent me into a good Upstart Crow binge. The things I miss when the others are watching satellite channels. ::)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #2939 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Iron Fist Season 1 is every bit the tepid mess the critics say it is. What a wasted opportunity.

The guy they have playing him is utterly forgettable except that he just kind of whines all of his lines. And rich guys fighting over money is just, like, suuuuuuuper boring.

I haven't gotten very far into the second season, but Luke Cage seems to be the best of the Netflix Marvel shows.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:23:43 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2940 on: August 31, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
Football
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2941 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
Ekaterina II (or simply Ekaterina), Russian series about Empress Catherine the Great, on Amazon prime. I'm really enjoying it so far. It has a lot of flaws common to these historical bio series but overall it is better than most I've seen. The Archbishop of Novgorod is shown to be surprisingly defiant and fearless in the face of the state. He refuses to concede to Peter III's divorce/remarriage, so Peter threatens to take away the church's lands and serfs and the bishop responds, "Well, we've grown fat and lazy, it would be good to be poor again." I know pretty much nothing about this time in Russia so I wonder how accurate this is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:15:13 AM by Iconodule »
- Berdyaev

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #2942 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
not one

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2943 on: September 11, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
Bodyguard, Killjoys, Stitchers and The Outpost. Looking forward to the new Doctor Who, as well.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2944 on: September 16, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
Project Runway (Season 16)

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #2945 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »
Detroiters!

I binged watched it a few weeks ago. The first few episodes were kind of meh but it got better and funnier by the mid and part of the 1st season. One of the funniest non Tim and Eric produced shows on TV.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2946 on: September 18, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »
Batman Animated Series when it comes out in October on Blu-Ray

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #2947 on: September 19, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
I watched ~ from youtube ~ "Big Jake" ~ Typical John Wayne ~ a bit corny ~ but ~ sorry he had to leave ```

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2948 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
Last night we saw the premier of Manifest and thought it was interesting.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2949 on: October 01, 2018, 08:16:43 PM »
How to Get Away with Murder (Seasons 1-4) - First season seemed like it was trying way too hard with all the sex, drugs, frenetic editing, relying on twists to cover for horrible writing, etc... yet by the third season it had become a slog and I was missing that energy the show had early on (though also the novelty). The fourth season was much better, but it was an entirely different show by that point. Since I got cable again and need to justify that dumb decision I guess I'll stick around and see how season 5 goes.

Project Runway (Seasons 14 and 16) - The judges on this show truly have no idea what they're doing (says the guy who wears jeans/shorts and t-shirts)

Live PD Presents: Women On Patrol (Season 1) - I mean, it's COPS but with women. So COPS. So if you like that you'll like this I guess.

Walking Dead - Tried giving TWD another shot. I spent 8 seasons with them, and it was free now, so why not?  Meh. I couldn't even get through 10 minutes. I just can't anymore.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2950 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
Last night we saw the premier of Manifest and thought it was interesting.

+1 I liked it as well.  The acting didn't completely sell me, but the concept is enough in a pilot I guess. I did laugh shortly before the climax, where it was suppose to be all climactic and dramatic... (when the brother/cop just stood there rooted in place while the sister broke the lock off, ie. committing a crime so far as he knew, which looked super goofy like something out of an Austin Powers movie).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2951 on: October 04, 2018, 11:27:23 PM »
The Rain (Netflix) - Post-apocalyptic tv show w/o zombies. Not amazing but mostly ok, with surprisingly good production values. Main problem for me was that the acting was originally done in Danish but the version I saw had English dubbing, and they sometimes seemed to conflict. Entire first season is only like 3.5 hours, so worth a look if you're into this kind of thing.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2952 on: October 09, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
Second half of the latest season of Better Call Saul has been a let down, but the finale tonight was solid.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2953 on: October 09, 2018, 03:14:32 AM »
The husband has been binge-watching The IT Crowd and I've been torn between fleeing the room and sabotaging the TV. >:(

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2954 on: October 12, 2018, 01:46:24 AM »
I'd forgotten about how some tv shows spoil the episode set to air the next week by not just teasing what's coming, but outright mentioning everything important. Gee thanks, finding out that John killed Jane with the urn in the study would have been a great twist... had it been proceeded by 45 minutes of tense drama rather than 45 seconds of summary ::)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2955 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »
Making a Murderer (Netflix) - It's ok, I guess, somewhat, though with a different focus and POVs than the last one, and it doesn't have novelty on its side this time. It's also even more biased in favor of Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. Really only worth watching if you thought the first part was mesmerizing.

Maniac (Netflix) - At times quirky, hilarious, or heartbreaking... but at other times cringe-worthy or just plain bad.  The good parts far outweigh the bad though, and if I had to sum up the series in a word it'd be 'delightful.'

Ink Master - I love that they've now dropped the pretense of providing good tattoos on this show. Now they pretty much admit: it's a contest, the people are trying to sabotage each other and make things difficult, and a lot of the tats are gonna suck. At this point I don't even feel bad watching it. These people getting the tats know what they're signing up for.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2956 on: October 20, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
I am about the finish the last Episode of Season 2 of "Striking Out", a really interesting law series produced & filmed in Dublin, Ireland. 

The hero is a young (30ish) woman lawyer who starts her own law firm after leaving a high powered law firm.

The cases deal with  high-level government corruption, family law and one episode on immigration.  Excellent writing and acting.  The different roles of a solicitor versus a barrister are new to me being a Canadian.

An added benefit is the beautiful scenery of Dublin, including the historic buildings of the courts contrasted with very modern architecture in the canal district by the docks.  I love the use of marble and granite designs, windows and loft ceilings  of the interior shots of the main floor of the City Hall.

I am looking forward to Season 3 when it is available.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2957 on: October 21, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »
Between A Discovery of Witches and The Haunting of Hill House, I'm very happy this Hallowmas. ;D

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2958 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »
Looking forward to watching the World Series when it starts on Tuesday.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #2959 on: October 21, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
Looking forward to watching the World Series when it starts on Tuesday.

Me as well. Both teams good
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

I change my picture daily to reflect feast days. Ask me!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #2960 on: October 21, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
Not the Brewers though. (When strike 1 and strike 2 are the middle of the strike zone every batter, well, you deserve not to score.  >:()

Apparently these two teams last met when Babe Ruth was pitching in 1916, so it could be of some interest.
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2961 on: Yesterday at 06:25:42 AM »
Started watching Cheers. Popular show when I was in high school in the 80's. Never really liked it then, and now it's even worse. Every joke is so choreographed. The acting isn't awful, but the writing is terrible. I've watched about 10 episodes, and I didn't laugh out loud even once. I keep watching purely for the nostalgia. But it's really bad stuff.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Saxon

« Reply #2962 on: Yesterday at 08:37:07 AM »
Between A Discovery of Witches and The Haunting of Hill House, I'm very happy this Hallowmas. ;D

The first few episodes were quite good. Not "scary", but certainly atmospheric and well-done. But then it got bogged down with excessive flashbacks and seemed to have no idea where to go. The final episode was awful.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #2963 on: Yesterday at 05:18:10 PM »
I am a couple of episodes into Iron Fist season 2, mostly to see the character cross pollination from the other Defender shows. It's not as bad as the first season, and the director apparently told the actor to stop with the whispergasm scene chewing.

I don't know if I will finish it, though. I just don't care about any "billionaire tries to stop others from taking his money" storylines, and the whole bit about Danny working a real job on the streets to learn what a hard days work feels like is pure one percenter propaganda.

OOTH, if Colleen continues to be a close secondary focus, I probably will stay with it.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.