Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 317090 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2565 on: May 20, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
Molly Ringwald is a great fan of the Smiths but Chuck Barris died in Palisades, NY.  Hibbitygibbitygoo.  There.  Now we've both typed nonsensical non sequiturs.
At least you have a sense of humor. That's more than can be said for some people around here. :D
Sun Tzu said:
This is war.
It is the most important skill in the nation.
It is the basis of life and death.
It is the path (tao) of survival or destruction.
You must know it well.

Offline nothing

• Deplorable Lives Matter
  • Archon
  • Americanism, Not Globalism, Will Be Our Credo
« Reply #2566 on: May 21, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
Um wow that was an amazing Twin Peaks premiere.

It's full on Lynch which is everything I want and I know diehard fans of the show are gonna be mad as hell it is nothing like the original.

It's more Eraserhead meets Blue Velvet meets Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive and a little of Twin Peaks.

*SPOILER*

That scene of the weird shadow-esque alien shredding the faces off those two characters was awesome, beautifully shot too. I love how Lynch builds up the suspense.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:03:56 AM by nothing »
This post was paidtaxed forby the Silent Majority.

“I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke.” - President Trump

Quote from: Daedelus1138
the salvation about getting into heaven or theosis, is religious interpretation filtered through a good dose of politically convenient ideology. It is always politically convenient and reactionary to make sin and reform an individual issue and privatize suffering and human misery.

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #2567 on: May 22, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Cant get the first two episodes out of my head. Gonna re-watch tonight.

Those NYC scenes are everything I love about Lynch.

Spectacular.

the salvation about getting into heaven or theosis, is religious interpretation filtered through a good dose of politically convenient ideology. It is always politically convenient and reactionary to make sin and reform an individual issue and privatize suffering and human misery.

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #2568 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Honestly after watching episodes 3+4 now, the gushing nerd love in me thinks collectively these 4 hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen. I'm feeling just as rapt and giddy like when I first watched Mulholland Dr. It's unreal how good this is. He has pulled all the various strands from the best parts of his previous work to make this miraculous thing, I'm floored.

And there are 14 more episodes. There has been so much imagery from these episodes that are lingering with me that very few other pieces of tv/movies can do. I love love that he can tap into this vast unknown abyss and make such dark things palpable, I can get lost in the worlds he creates.

Seriously just give me all the episodes now, I don't know if I can wait til the end of September to finish this series. I guess more time to re-watch, these episodes are dense.

The care that has gone into this thing makes me think this is going to be Lynch's final project. Then he'll spend the rest of his days endlessly chainsmoking and painting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:26:38 PM by nothing »

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2569 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Molly Ringwald is a great fan of the Smiths but Chuck Barris died in Palisades, NY.  Hibbitygibbitygoo.  There.  Now we've both typed nonsensical non sequiturs.
At least you have a sense of humor. That's more than can be said for some people around here. :D

And yet some on here have never regarded me as lighthearted.  Go fig.  ::)

Um wow that was an amazing Twin Peaks premiere.

Agreed.  It was a triumph.

It's full on Lynch which is everything I want and I know diehard fans of the show are gonna be mad as hell it is nothing like the original.

There are some indications that there may be more lighthearted Frostian elements as the series progresses  I don't think this would necessarily be a bad thing (Wally Brando aside), but I am glad that Lynch and Frost are letting this run be its own entity instead of trying to make it a nostalgia fest.  That way lies only the farcical reunion, neither dark nor edgy, that Arachne anticipated.  The premiere had dark and edgy in spades, and not in a contrived or forced way either.  Just Lynch being Lynch.

It's more Eraserhead meets Blue Velvet meets Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive and a little of Twin Peaks.

Kinda sorta.  The sycamore/meatbag evolution of the arm was right out of Eraserhead.

*SPOILER*

That scene of the weird shadow-esque alien shredding the faces off those two characters was awesome, beautifully shot too. I love how Lynch builds up the suspense.

"You'd better hurry!  My mother's coming!"

Cant get the first two episodes out of my head. Gonna re-watch tonight.

Those NYC scenes are everything I love about Lynch.

Spectacular.

+1

You'd think that by now there'd be no new ways to shoot the Manhattan skyline, but that establishing shot was pure genius and said everything Lynch wanted to say about the place as a backdrop to that particular piece of the drama.

Honestly after watching episodes 3+4 now, the gushing nerd love in me thinks collectively these 4 hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen. I'm feeling just as rapt and giddy like when I first watched Mulholland Dr. It's unreal how good this is. He has pulled all the various strands from the best parts of his previous work to make this miraculous thing, I'm floored.

Agreed.  There are so many moments to gush over.  Ms. Devastated Sarah Palmer unable to take her eyes off a pride of lions devouring a cape buffalo, that black thing two cells down from Bill Hastings, Matthew Lillard's performance as Hastings, Doppleganger Cooper's relentless evil diffused over two and a half decades of freedom contrasting with how Bob used to operate when he could only indulge his vices sporadically back in Leland's day, the fact that Robert Forster isn't the Sheriff Truman, and oh my gosh, the poignant final performance of Catherine Coulson as the Log Lady.  Even the Chromatics song was evocative but not derivative of Julee Cruise.

And there are 14 more episodes. There has been so much imagery from these episodes that are lingering with me that very few other pieces of tv/movies can do. I love love that he can tap into this vast unknown abyss and make such dark things palpable, I can get lost in the worlds he creates.

Seriously just give me all the episodes now, I don't know if I can wait til the end of September to finish this series. I guess more time to re-watch, these episodes are dense.

They truly give you a lot to think about.  I loved Bob/Cooper's line to Hasting's wife: "You did good. You followed human nature perfectly."  It's the perfect echo of Bob's dismissal and abuse of Earle, demonstrating the contempt the devils have for those who idolize/cooperate with them, and it made the point without being ham-fisted or preachy about it.

The care that has gone into this thing makes me think this is going to be Lynch's final project. Then he'll spend the rest of his days endlessly chainsmoking and painting.

And to think he just came off a decade long hiatus without a fleck of rust.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2570 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
I saw an exhibition of Lynch's paintings in Allentown once. All I remember is a lot of vomiting faces.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2571 on: May 24, 2017, 01:53:08 AM »
My 3 favorite David Lynch films:

The Elephant Man

Blue Velvet

The Straight Story

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
« Reply #2572 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:01 PM »
Dave Chappelle on Netflix
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2573 on: Yesterday at 01:11:24 AM »
My 3 favorite David Lynch films:

The Elephant Man

Blue Velvet

The Straight Story

Selam

The Straight Story is more confirmation of Lynch's genius. A director who is known for making such deeply disturbing, weird, twisted films turns around and makes this beautifully simple movie that's rated G. With this movie he proved that he's not a "gimmick" director. He has the chops to do anything and do it well.

Nothing, have you seen this one?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #2574 on: Yesterday at 07:52:18 PM »
Straight Story is superb, love that movie.

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #2575 on: Yesterday at 08:28:41 PM »
There are some indications that there may be more lighthearted Frostian elements as the series progresses  I don't think this would necessarily be a bad thing (Wally Brando aside), but I am glad that Lynch and Frost are letting this run be its own entity instead of trying to make it a nostalgia fest.  That way lies only the farcical reunion, neither dark nor edgy, that Arachne anticipated.  The premiere had dark and edgy in spades, and not in a contrived or forced way either.  Just Lynch being Lynch.

To be honest some of the old cast returning is a bit jarring as they readjust to their characters, like Lucy and Andy are obviously not played by career actors which I'm forced to wince at certain moments.

Still seeing how awful Bobby's fake tears seeing Laura's picture again is pure fan service, so I'm not against their inclusion but some of the newer characters are more intriguing to me.

How awesome is it that Lynch trolled the hell out of Michael J Anderson by replacing him with a giant electric tree with a bubblegum wad head. MJ Anderson has been talking all sorts of crap about Lynch on his personal Facebook for years so it was fantastic seeing him getting so thoroughly dunked on, even some of the dialogue jabs at him "NON-EXIS-TENT!"

Also give Michael Cera an Emmy, ALL OF THEM. And Kyle MaClachlan has knocked it out of the park so far.

Naomi Watts is amazing as always, funny she is playing another character who has to take care of someone who has amnesia. Soooo clever lol.

I was mesmerized whenever Tracey was on screen and she's not even the hottest chick in the show so far (that would be Darya). I think what made that face shredder scene even more horrifying was how she had this aura of innocence around her and she was a sweetheart with those two lattes!

But hey she and Sam made a pretty good looking photo for the FBI after their deaths LOL.

$100000000000000 Audrey owns that glass box thing and tried to use it in order to bring back Cooper from the Black Lodge!

Kinda sorta.  The sycamore/meatbag evolution of the arm was right out of Eraserhead.

The one movie I left out, cause I didn't see Episode 3 at the time I posted that, is definitely Inland Empire. Ep3 first 15 minutes is literally an Inland Empire outtake.

Can't say I liked Inland Empire but that's not a firm opinion because I watched it on a pirated copy at low res on a tube TV. So it looked like garbage and you know when Laura Dern made that Francis Bacon face in the end, it was so goofy I laughed.

And that's the thing I don't understand the criticisms of the SFX in this show. Like it's clear to me the "lower quality" effects are intentional but they have never bothered me once, I really dig that style.

Maybe Lynch spent his entire SFX budget on that huge purple ocean LOL. Can you imagine that Showtime negotionation when Lynch pulled the plug the first time:

Lynch: "Ok here's what we need to do, I need $4 million dollars to create a wide spanning ocean tinted purple."
Showtime Execs: "But David there is only 2 million in the budget for post-production special effects, I don't think this is going to work."
*Angelo Badalamenti slides a conceptual art piece of the purple ocean to the execs*
Angelo: "This is the girl."
Showtime Execs: "Wait...um...you really need 4 million dollars for this?"
Lynch: "It's either that or I walk away from this whole project."
Angelo: "This is the girl."
Showtime Execs: "I'm sorry David we can't do this"
*Lynch and Angelo leave while Lynch takes a golf club at one of the execs fancypants Porsche*

+1

You'd think that by now there'd be no new ways to shoot the Manhattan skyline, but that establishing shot was pure genius and said everything Lynch wanted to say about the place as a backdrop to that particular piece of the drama.

The skyline is gorgeous, but I mean just all the scenes leading up to them dying. Those long shots ARE TO DIE FOR. And the sound design with that droning ambient in the background.

Seriously I don't mind less Angelo so far because I think the droning works so well.

Agreed.  There are so many moments to gush over.  Ms. Devastated Sarah Palmer unable to take her eyes off a pride of lions devouring a cape buffalo, that black thing two cells down from Bill Hastings, Matthew Lillard's performance as Hastings, Doppleganger Cooper's relentless evil diffused over two and a half decades of freedom contrasting with how Bob used to operate when he could only indulge his vices sporadically back in Leland's day, the fact that Robert Forster isn't the Sheriff Truman, and oh my gosh, the poignant final performance of Catherine Coulson as the Log Lady.  Even the Chromatics song was evocative but not derivative of Julee Cruise.
This this this.

They truly give you a lot to think about.  I loved Bob/Cooper's line to Hasting's wife: "You did good. You followed human nature perfectly."  It's the perfect echo of Bob's dismissal and abuse of Earle, demonstrating the contempt the devils have for those who idolize/cooperate with them, and it made the point without being ham-fisted or preachy about it.
Yep exactly.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:30:50 PM by nothing »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
« Reply #2576 on: Yesterday at 09:31:44 PM »
The People v. O.J. Simpson

**Minor Spoilers**

I was surprised they took such a firm position regarding O.J. being guilty... I figured they'd keep it in more of a grey area as to whether he did it or not.
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky