Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 189066 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
Re: What TV shows are you watching?
« Reply #2385 on: March 01, 2016, 07:13:35 PM »
Waiting for "Midwinter of the Spirit" to come out on DVD later this month.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2386 on: March 03, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
The Shaolin Monks being awesome.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Abba Hezekiah, Patron of Dialogists
« Reply #2387 on: March 08, 2016, 04:07:24 AM »
Lost

My first time watching the series. I seem to remember hearing something about a bad ending, but I'm not going to look ahead. I just keep telling myself: if I can survive the Dexter finale, I can survive this.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2388 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:28 AM »
Legends of Tomorrow. Because it was about time DC did something to counter Marvel.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2389 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
Lost

My first time watching the series. I seem to remember hearing something about a bad ending, but I'm not going to look ahead. I just keep telling myself: if I can survive the Dexter finale, I can survive this.
Fantastic series. Try not to be too disappointed by the ending.
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Merarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2390 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:14 PM »
Lost

I was.  It still  makes me mad to this day.  the only ending that was more maddening was how they ended "The Sopranos."

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #2391 on: March 12, 2016, 07:09:57 AM »
Hill Street Blues

One of my favorite TV shows growing up. Just ordered season one on Amazon. I forgot just how politically heavy handed the agenda is. I mean, it's not the liberalism that troubles me, it's some of the downright evil that is justified in this show. For example...

First episode: the cops catch somebody in the act of statutory rape (and I don't mean an 18 year old with a 15 year old, but a 40 year old man with a 15 year old girl.) The man's wife has pulled a knife on the girl, who is her own daughter and the man's stepdaughter. The cops calm the wife down, get her to put down the knife, and then simply offer this advice: they tell the woman not to press charges on the man because that would "break up the family." They tell the stepdaughter to stop walking around naked in front of the stepfather. And they tell the mother to start giving her husband more sex so that he won't be tempted by the stepdaughter.

I'm not kidding. And this is portrayed as good police work. Enough to drive conservatives and liberals both insane, and for very different reasons.

But aside from the absurd social commentaries and political agenda,  I still love the show. Probably more because of nostalgia than anything else. Watching it brings back lots of memories. And the acting is very good. Easily Steven Bochco's best work as a writer and producer. I look forward to binge watching season one.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:10:33 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #2392 on: March 12, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Hill Street Blues

One of my favorite TV shows growing up. Just ordered season one on Amazon. I forgot just how politically heavy handed the agenda is. I mean, it's not the liberalism that troubles me, it's some of the downright evil that is justified in this show. For example...

First episode: the cops catch somebody in the act of statutory rape (and I don't mean an 18 year old with a 15 year old, but a 40 year old man with a 15 year old girl.) The man's wife has pulled a knife on the girl, who is her own daughter and the man's stepdaughter. The cops calm the wife down, get her to put down the knife, and then simply offer this advice: they tell the woman not to press charges on the man because that would "break up the family." They tell the stepdaughter to stop walking around naked in front of the stepfather. And they tell the mother to start giving her husband more sex so that he won't be tempted by the stepdaughter.
I'm not kidding. And this is portrayed as good police work. Enough to drive conservatives and liberals both insane, and for very different reasons.
But aside from the absurd social commentaries and political agenda,  I still love the show. Probably more because of nostalgia than anything else. Watching it brings back lots of memories. And the acting is very good. Easily Steven Bochco's best work as a writer and producer. I look forward to binge watching season one.
Selam

I too enjoyed and tried to never miss that show. Thanks and will try it again sometime.
Your example is curious: they're cops, not behavioral therapists, social adjusters or judges but blue collar workers showing up and giving blue collar advice, not cure-alls for family dynamics.
That and the laws were different then. Sorry it did not "last".
Great show though with down to earth humor (for TV).
God is the life of all free beings

Offline nothing

• Cosmopolitan Bumpkin
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Unshakeable
« Reply #2393 on: March 20, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #2394 on: March 24, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Just catching up with the latest series of Castle. Not sure if I have the will to continue much further, they've lost the plot in spectacular style.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #2395 on: March 24, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
It used be the News but tired of getting paranoid attacks.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2396 on: March 26, 2016, 03:22:37 AM »
Mainly only watching 4 shows right now

Vikings
Forged in Fire
Gotham
The Walking Dead

Sitting patiently waiting for Game of Thrones
This user's signature was deemed truth, declaring this forum is in violation of ecumenism by promoting dialog between schismatic groups such as Coptics and Roman Catholics, which can lead to confusion and the misdirection of people towards the wrong faith, Mor Ephrem. 

28 April 2016

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2397 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »
Mainly only watching 4 shows right now

Vikings
Forged in Fire
Gotham
The Walking Dead

Sitting patiently waiting for Game of Thrones
Sounds like we have very similar tastes in shows, although I am waiting rather impatiently for GoT.
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Ima Xanthippe
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2398 on: April 04, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
I love Vikings, I am pumped for Game of Thrones, I am done with The Walking Dead.
Bad times, hard times, this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times. -St. Augustine

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2399 on: April 04, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
I love Vikings, I am pumped for Game of Thrones, I am done with The Walking Dead.

Game of Thrones is the only TV show in the past few years I've managed to get hooked on.  Season 6 should be fun, even though they killed Stannis and maybe (?) even Jon.  Hopefully the Bolton's get their comeuppance soon. I'm hoping Araya's story line picks back up, her last season story was a bit of a drag.  Sansa's story and what's going on in the Danarey's camp are what I'm most looking forward to seeing this season.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:58:45 PM by William T »
Christ is risen!  Le Christ est ressuscité!  Masīḥ qām!   Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2400 on: April 04, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
I saw lots of people complaining about TWD finale last night. I am trying so hard to not read any of the complaints because I haven't watched it yet.

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #2401 on: April 04, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
Giants 7, Brewers 3
Lunchtime pleasure.
God is the life of all free beings

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #2402 on: April 04, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
WPC 56.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Abba Hezekiah, Patron of Dialogists
« Reply #2403 on: Today at 03:07:56 AM »
Lost

I was.  It still  makes me mad to this day.  the only ending that was more maddening was how they ended "The Sopranos."

I thought it was great all the way through. Even loved the ending... or... liked, I guess. That finale really should have just been an hour or hour-and-fifteen though, as there was too much filler. I didn't really feel at all criticisms I've seen others make, like that they lost their direction, that they could have ended it 3 seasons sooner, that they didn't answer enough, and so on. Maybe it's because I binge-watched it, or because I love surreal fiction like that.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2404 on: Today at 05:05:37 AM »
Firefly reruns.

Offline Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #2405 on: Today at 06:57:42 AM »
I keep not watching firefly. I've seen Serenity, and I have Firefly on DVD, but I've only ever seen the first episode. I don't watch the reruns because I keep telling myself I've got it on DVD, and never get round to watching. This puts me out. Still, I know enough to get the Firefly references on Castle.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2406 on: Today at 11:40:44 AM »
Firefly is alright. If it had run longer it might have been brilliant. As it is, I enjoy Farscape a lot more.