OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:30:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "An Introduction to God" by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick  (Read 133 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: Yesterday at 12:08:26 PM »

Has anyone read Fr. Andrew's latest book, An Introduction to God yet? I'd especially be interested in hearing from the target "demographic" as I am interested in sharing the book with some folks and wonder how it has been received.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:09:33 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:47:52 PM »

I haven't read the book yet, but I've always been in the fence with regards to fr. Andrew.  At times, I find him to be very engaging and knowledgeable about the faith.  At other times, I think he is too impressed with himself and appears to crave rock star status.  His infatuation with his "conversion" of the very minor Hollywood celebrity, Jonathan Jackson, who wrote the foreword to this book, underscores that very point as he plastered that all over his website for a good few months.  That's just my Impression.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:46:09 AM »

I will read it this week and report back to you my feedback, Anastasios.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:07 AM »

What a pretentious blurb:

If you’ve only heard about the Protestant or Roman Catholic version of Christianity, what he has to say may surprise you—and make you long to encounter God in Jesus Christ.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:07:17 AM »

I follow him on facebook and he always seemed like a good guy to me. I never got the sense that he was trying to elevate himself.  Plus he is an aficionado of aquariums, so he can't be all bad.  laugh

I don't see anything particularly pretentious about that statement, it is the typical stuff editors write on the backs of books to sell them.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:57:35 PM »

I follow him on facebook and he always seemed like a good guy to me. I never got the sense that he was trying to elevate himself.  Plus he is an aficionado of aquariums, so he can't be all bad.  laugh

I don't see anything particularly pretentious about that statement, it is the typical stuff editors write on the backs of books to sell them.

I agree. I have several mutual friends of his and they think very highly of him. I will definitely buy the book.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:32:46 PM »

THe correct plural for aquarium is aquaria.  Please make a note of it. Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: