OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:43:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: length of paschal service  (Read 4141 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: April 22, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »

Usually, how long does the midnight liturgy for Pascha last?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

It's usually around three hours, depending on how fast the chanters go.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:34:38 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:03:29 PM »

Usually, how long does the midnight liturgy for Pascha last? 

Depending on which jurisdiction, anywhere between 2 1/2 hours and 4 hours, iirc.

In the Greek tradition, there are 4 parts to the Midnight service:

1. Mini-vigil - about 45-50 minutes of chanting the canon and some hymns from Friday night.
2. Resurrection! - 10 minutes or so, approximating the Holy Fire service of Jerusalem (spreading the Light, gospel)
3. Matins - some places really cut this part, so this is where the most variability enters the equation.  The popular Holy Week books have severely truncated the Matins service, so it may take no more than 15 minutes, or it could go the (proper) full 45-60 minutes.
4. Divine Liturgy w/ the Catechetical Homily of St. John Chrysostom - However long your church takes for Divine Liturgy, add about 15-20 minutes, and there you have it.

I hope this is helpful.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »

Having been to Greek Orthodox, ROCOR, and Antiochian versions your summary is right on the mark.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »

Another big issue is the number of people who will receive the Eucharist, and the number of clergy who can hold a chalice and distribute the Eucharist.

My parish will have close to 1000 people stay to receive. Fortunately we have 2 priests, but even at that the time to commune people will stretch past the 30 minute mark, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Your parish may even have a longer time for this!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »

My parish will have close to 1000 people stay to receive.

Fr. Chris - that must be an amazing sight.  Where do you put them all - overflow onto the front steps, basement?  Not to sound too gloomy, but wouldn't it be a blessing if even just 1/10 of all those people who mysteriously appear for Pascha at our parishes would continue to come for year round Liturgy.  Many of these people are the "red egg crowd".  Show up, light their candles, and get a red egg.  Church done for one whole year.  We have better luck getting perfect strangers to come to our churches than the baptized, but drifted folks.  Something to think about and pray for change.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:11:28 AM »

Fr. Chris - that must be an amazing sight.  Where do you put them all - overflow onto the front steps, basement?

Actually, we do have an overflow crowd that goes out the doors and onto the sidewalk. The Cathedral is rated by the Fire Department to be able to accommodate 454 people, and so of course we are certain that this number is never exceeded at any time, otherwise we would be in violation of local occupancy ordinances and liable for fines (ahem). 

Our last census showed we have 1300-1400 people in the parish, of which 950 or so will stay to commune, so we still have close to a third get their light and then leave as the chanters chant how "the enemies of God are scattered and flee"...they probably don't get to hear the irony.

There are some photos of the parish on the photo page of this site. I'm just glad we got our bell tower repaired by Holy Week. It was in danger of collapse, and having bricks, mortar, and bells fall on the crowds outside while celebrating the Resurrection would be beyond tragic.

We have better luck getting perfect strangers to come to our churches than the baptized, but drifted folks.  Something to think about and pray for change.

Wisdom! Let us be attentive!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:04 AM »

Do you mean the one Friday night - Saturday that starts at 11pm and ends around dawn or 6am or the one Saturday night - Sunday that starts at 7pm and ends sometime around midnight to 1am depending on how long Holy Communion takes?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

Do you mean the one Friday night - Saturday that starts at 11pm and ends around dawn or 6am or the one Saturday night - Sunday that starts at 7pm and ends sometime around midnight to 1am depending on how long Holy Communion takes? 

The discussion is centered around the Saturday-Sunday one.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »

The discussion is centered around the Saturday-Sunday one.

In that case, 5 to 6 hours.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »

In that case, 5 to 6 hours. 

You've stirred my interest: what services does the Coptic Church do during the Pascha vigil? (i.e. what are you doing in the 5-6 hours?)

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:12 AM »

You've stirred my interest: what services does the Coptic Church do during the Pascha vigil? (i.e. what are you doing in the 5-6 hours?)

If I'm not mistaken, the whole Coptic Paschal Liturgy in on youtube (over several in fact).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »

4+ hours in the Greek churches here.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Related to the original question, what time did your parish's Pascha service begin?  Either 11:00 PM or 11:30 PM seems customary, drawn from my informal survey of parish web pages.  Any earlier than this?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »

Both my current parish and my home parish start at 11:00 - doing so puts the service of the Light at around 11:45 and, thus, the 1st Christos Anesti close to midnight.

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:11:59 AM »

Another big issue is the number of people who will receive the Eucharist, and the number of clergy who can hold a chalice and distribute the Eucharist.

My parish will have close to 1000 people stay to receive. Fortunately we have 2 priests, but even at that the time to commune people will stretch past the 30 minute mark, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Your parish may even have a longer time for this!

Wow, at my church, I've seen 1,000 people, which for most of them is probably the only time they visit church other than a funeral and/or memorial service, leave after Christos Anesti .   Sad  The church is lucky to be 2/3 fall after all the people leave.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »

Since we always have the pleasure of the Archbishop's presence at Holy Trinity, its generally about 4 hours. It would be a lot longer but there were 4 priests with chalices, so we ended up with only a 5-7 minute communion. I also took a little cut time on my reading  Shocked

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »

Wow, at my church, I've seen 1,000 people, which for most of them is probably the only time they visit church other than a funeral and/or memorial service, leave after Christos Anesti .   Sad  The church is lucky to be 2/3 fall after all the people leave.

Well, 2/3 is better than 1/3, or 1/6, or 0/3  Wink

This year we left before Divine Liturgy began (and continued fast). Then Sunday morning we attended DL at wife's home ACROD parish 100 miles away. Somehow two DLs in one day didn't seem right to me and so we left as we did. Fortunately this schedule allowed us to make Sunday Vespers back at the GOA parish on way back. One can never tell just looking at what others seem to do.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »

If you chant the full service at a good tempo then it will take more then 3 hours.

For example, in our Church/Mission, we have 20 people and one priest was serving.

Here what we did:
(we chanted all the service in Byzantine style)
1. Chanted the full Canon from Friday night
2. Holy Light with procession
3. Gospel
3. the Full Paschal Canon with the Little Litanies in between
4. the Divine Liturgy
5. Saint John Chrysostom paschal homily

------------------------
Three Hours
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

Well, 2/3 is better than 1/3, or 1/6, or 0/3  Wink

This year we left before Divine Liturgy began (and continued fast). Then Sunday morning we attended DL at wife's home ACROD parish 100 miles away. Somehow two DLs in one day didn't seem right to me and so we left as we did. Fortunately this schedule allowed us to make Sunday Vespers back at the GOA parish on way back. One can never tell just looking at what others seem to do.

I never heard of an Easter Sunday Divine Liturgy at a regular morning time - perhaps ACROD churches performed Sunday Morning Easter Liturgies when people either left the coal mines for the day or before people went to work in the coal mines - we're talking about a long time ago.

I do agree that attending both Liturgies on Easter Sunday is a bit odd....
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »

If you chant the full service at a good tempo then it will take more then 3 hours.

For example, in our Church/Mission, we have 20 people and one priest was serving.

Here what we did:
3. Gospel
4. the Divine Liturgy

------------------------
Three Hours

Ahem....YOU chanted the service Byzantine style. Wink
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »

Ahem....YOU chanted the service Byzantine style. Wink

Ahem... YOU chanted the service in THE style. Grin JOKES

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »

Here what we did:
3. Gospel
4. the Divine Liturgy

------------------------
Three Hours

That's what we did at school the year I stayed (with then-Bishop Gerasimos, now the Metropolitan of San Francisco); took us a bit longer than 3 hours... Of course (a) we didn't skip anything, (b) some things we chanted slowly, and (c) it was hierarchical Paschal Liturgy (with the Resurrectional proclamation done outside the Church in the courtyard).

---------------------
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »

Ahem... YOU chanted the service in THE style. Grin JOKES

Sorry, but this is a bit of an inside joke....I live <2 miles away from him and know him all too well.

(and Btw, he is one of the Byzantine masters in this country if you need to learn anything.)
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »

I never heard of an Easter Sunday Divine Liturgy at a regular morning time - perhaps ACROD churches performed Sunday Morning Easter Liturgies when people either left the coal mines for the day or before people went to work in the coal mines - we're talking about a long time ago.

I do agree that attending both Liturgies on Easter Sunday is a bit odd....

According to Pope... Err uh I mean Metropolitan Nicholas: "This is done only in the Carpatho-Russian Diocese"

The above response given to me in exchange for my inquiry about why its done that way.

The ACROD churches generally hold Vespers with Basil's Liturgy on Holy Saturday Morning around 9am.

Then on Holy Saturday night, they start Paschal Matins around 8:00pm or so.

Then, without breaking the fast (even though Christ is Risen is being sung and repeated and we are joyful), the Paschal Divine Liturgy the next day is sometime between 9:00am and 10:00am, with many around 9:30am.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:32 AM »

Takes us about 5 hours.

Here what we did:
3. Gospel
4. the Divine Liturgy

------------------------
Three Hours

Took us about 5 hours, but there were 2 bishops, 7 priests, 3 deacons, and communion took a long time too.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »

Deacon Anastasios,

Are you following the Greek Typicon?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »

Deacon Anastasios,

Are you following the Greek Typicon?

Yes. Here is a very approximate breakdown:

1030pm: Holy Saturday canon, etc
1200am: Fire, Gospel, etc
1220am: Paschal Matins begins
145am: Divine Liturgy begins
330am: Service ends

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »

According to Pope... Err uh I mean Metropolitan Nicholas: "This is done only in the Carpatho-Russian Diocese"
-Nick

There are some parishes in the UOC of USA that have the Paschal Services in the morning.  In our parish, we start at 11:30pm and begin the Procession at Midnight.  Father does Obidna at 8am for those who could not attend the midnight service.  This year we had around 100 at midnight and the same for Obidna.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »

The "very full" Paschal service (of cause not only ‘liturgy',even not only 'paschal',the first and second parts belong to Great Saturday)I ever attened lasted almost 7hours(if I remember well)...

1, 9.00 pm we gathered in the nave and begin the great reading of Acts.
2, 11.00 pm the mesoniktikon with the canon"Κύματι θαλάσσης( waves of the sea)"
3, 11.50 pm the"Δεῦτε λάβετε φῶς (Come and take light)"
4, 00.00 the "anastasis" (the Gospel,the 'XPICTOC ANECTH' with verses )

{after this point I did not kook my watch ,so no accurate time report (I even slept for a while in my stall from the end of matins till the beginning of Liturgy(I sat in the narthex during matins till the begnning someone invited my into the nave).}

5, The paschal matins. Since there is the only canon in the case,so the troparia of each ode be repeated again and again to fullfil "12"( each eirmos twice).Then the same eormos as katavasia(in a slow melody).Then XP ANESTH thrice and "Ἀναστὰς ὁ Ἰησοῦς" after each ode the deacon say small litany.
After the canon the Exapostilarion and praises.
After the " Εἴπωμεν ἀδελφοί, καὶ τοῖς μισοῦσιν ἡμᾶς"(let's say brothers,and to to those that hate us), clergies come out with gospel crosses and icons ,we make the line of "paschal aspasmos"(kiss the gospel,crosses,icons and each other).
Immediately after the aspasmos ,we hear the "Εἴ τις εὐσεβὴς καὶ φιλόθεος"(Sermon of saint John Chrysostom).
After this I fall asleep,so no any impress from the hours. Theoritically the special paschal hour('Ἀνάστασιν Χριστοῦ θεασάμενοι 'and so on) should be say thrice for each hour.So after the matins ,it should be said at least thrice(in the place of the first hour) or nine times(for first third and sixth hour).
And the liturgy has no any special thing to make it longer.The communion was not problem——almost all of us already received on Great Thursday or Great Saturday.

Finally I think we finished around 4.00 am.
Tags: Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: