OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 07:48:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James 5:14  (Read 1563 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: April 23, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »

"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." James 5:14

Aside from the huge Holy Unction service held in Great Lent, do Orthodox Christian ever have private services for healing with the laying on of hands and anointing of oil? I have asked my priest about this and he doesn't seem to respond very favourably, so I'm a bit puzzled. Are laymen allowed to participate by joining in prayer and laying on of their hands, or is it only permitted for priests to do so?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." James 5:14

Aside from the huge Holy Unction service held in Great Lent, do Orthodox Christian ever have private services for healing with the laying on of hands and anointing of oil? I have asked my priest about this and he doesn't seem to respond very favourably, so I'm a bit puzzled. Are laymen allowed to participate by joining in prayer and laying on of their hands, or is it only permitted for priests to do so? 

The "huge Holy Unction service" is actually not intended for Great Lent, and has nothing to do liturgically with Holy Week.  It is the prayer spoken of in James 5:14 - the gathering of the elders to pray over and anoint the sick.  The rubrics in the service call for 7 priests to perform the sacrament, and it can be performed anytime, anywhere.  Because of its great length, people find it daunting, and normally just a short series of prayers and an anointing are done.  But that service is exactly the answer to your question.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:37:19 AM »

Well, in our parish, it's held without fail in Great Lent and it's called "Soborovanie". Yes, I know there are technically supposed to be 7 priests in attendance, but, even though our parish is huge, it's very rare that we manage to have more than 3 priests at the service. Yes, the service is extremely lengthy, and there are usually such huge crowds of people that it takes literally hours for everyone to be anointed.  Why then is it always held during the later half of Lent?

I am assuming then that it IS acceptable for a person to request a private anointing service?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:38:27 AM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »

Well, in our parish, it's held without fail in Great Lent and it's called "Soborovanie". Yes, I know there are technically supposed to be 7 priests in attendance, but, even though our parish is huge, it's very rare that we manage to have more than 3 priests at the service. Yes, the service is extremely lengthy, and there are usually such huge crowds of people that it takes literally hours for everyone to be anointed.  Why then is it always held during the later half of Lent?

I am assuming then that it IS acceptable for a person to request a private anointing service?

In most Orthodox churches in this country it seems to be held during Holy Week - so don't think y'all are alone.  I think it is done as a final preparation for Pascha - for the healing of soul and body before Christ's voluntary Passion, Death, and Resurrection.  Most Churches do not have 7 priests to do this service - in fact, the only time I saw that many was at the Seminary.  As to whether it is appropriate to request a private anointing service, yes, it most certainly is - I wish more people would.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »

Thank you so much, Cleveland, that's most helpful information. Now another question, pertaining to private anointing services. What sort of preparations are in order? Is one to go to confession beforehand? If it is done in the priest's home , can one confess there, rather than in church?  What about payment? Is it traditional to give the priest a donation? Is there a traditional amount?

Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »

Last autumn my mom invited priest for private soborovanie  for my dad, who was deadly ill. Few days before  my dad got confession and communion. I did not ask her about donation but she always does it of course.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:44:29 PM by Galina-Volga » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »

Thank you, Galina. And how much is the proper amount to give as a donation? I did not grow up Orthodox, so this business of giving money for a religious service is still something which will take me years to comprehend and become accustomed to.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »

Thank you so much, Cleveland, that's most helpful information. Now another question, pertaining to private anointing services. What sort of preparations are in order? Is one to go to confession beforehand? If it is done in the priest's home , can one confess there, rather than in church?  What about payment? Is it traditional to give the priest a donation? Is there a traditional amount?
It is customary not to ask any clergy about donations. Someone from your parish should be able to help you out on that one. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »

I'm sorry, but I wasn't necessarily expecting a priest to answer that  particular question...

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

Thank you, Galina. And how much is the proper amount to give as a donation? I did not grow up Orthodox, so this business of giving money for a religious service is still something which will take me years to comprehend and become accustomed to.

One does not pay for Sacraments. That is Simony.  Give what is in your heart to give, out of Thanksgiving. 

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:54:23 PM »

I'm sorry, but I wasn't necessarily expecting a priest to answer that  particular question...
You don't have to be sorry about anything. I thought your question was directed to Cleveland. I believe Cleveland is in seminary to become a Priest.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »

Rosehip you donate money  how much you feel for that. Some people can donate a lot other can't. Everyone does it differently. When we blessed our house we donated 100 dollars, of course priest never asked us about any money but you feel so good by knowing that you did something good for God. When we were blessing our car we donated again 100 dollars, next car we could afford to donate only 50.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »

Thank you, Galina!

Tags: unction 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: