OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harlot in Bethany  (Read 745 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »

I should know this, but suddenly I am confused by the three Gospel accounts of the woman who annointed Christ with myrrh in the house of Simon the leper in Bethany.  The Orthodox Study Bible identifies her as Mary, the sister of Lazarus; however, all the hymns for the Bridegroom Services identify her as a harlot.  Can someone clarify this for me?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:37:54 PM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »

The harlot was the one who anointed His feet with her tears and perfume and wiped them with her hair (Luke 7:38).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »

The footnote to Matthew 26:13 says "She is probably not the harlot of Luke 7, but Mary, the sister of Martha", and the same incident is described in Mark 14:3.  The footnote indicates some slight possibility that it might be Mary.  There is a big difference in the timing of the acts (one during the passion week and the other during the ministry).   Even though the harlot's annointing was done a long time before the events of the passion week, is it highlighted during the Bridegroom services because she was an obviously sinful woman, as opposed to Mary the sister of Lazarus?

Sorry to seem like such a simpleton, but I'm no biblical scholar for sure. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »

The footnote to Matthew 26:13 says "She is probably not the harlot of Luke 7, but Mary, the sister of Martha", and the same incident is described in Mark 14:3.  The footnote indicates some slight possibility that it might be Mary.  There is a big difference in the timing of the acts (one during the passion week and the other during the ministry).   Even though the harlot's annointing was done a long time before the events of the passion week, is it highlighted during the Bridegroom services because she was an obviously sinful woman, as opposed to Mary the sister of Lazarus?

The Synaxarion for Holy Wednesday morning explains that there were two women, if I remember correctly.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

It's actually a common Orthodox practice to superimpose two different stories if (a) they're similar, and (b) they both relate to a particular theme - in this case the anointing of Christ's feet (i.e. the act of humility, repentance, glorification, and preparation).  One of the gospel readings used on feasts of the Theotokos is the account of Martha and Mary working and listening (respectively) when Jesus visits - the Mary being spoken of isn't the Theotokos, but the Fathers were making a point that the Theotokos was herself a Mary who listened attentively to the teachings of her Son, which is another reason why she's blessed; and when the gospel cuts out a big chunk of the story and moves on to the women who cries out "blessed are you and the breast that nursed you," Jesus' response of "blessed rather are they who hear the Word of God and keep it" doesn't exclude Mary, but rather gives her glory because she indeed heard and kept that word.

Also, cutting and pasting together two gospels is done all the time between Holy Thurs and Sat, and even on other feasts (the two different gospel readings used for feasts of the Theotokos come to mind; one makes a small cut {Mary and Elizabeth}, the other a big one{Jesus with Martha and Mary}).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: harlot 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: