Author Topic: Sick on Palm Sunday  (Read 2894 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
Sick on Palm Sunday
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:37:56 AM »
I've progressively felt worse all day and finally figured out what's wrong- not one, but two canker sores on my tongue!  I've never ever had one on my tongue before and, Lord have mercy, does it really hurt.  If the swelling doesn't go way down by tomorrow, I'll probably miss church.  Either way I can't sing in the choir.  I don't mean to sound whiney, but please pray for me.

Gabriel
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Re: Sick on Palm Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:54:14 AM »
Lord have mercy!

Get lots of rest.  It could be the sores are there because you are about to get a cold.  Resting now may help you avoid the cold, or at least make it less severe.  See a doctor on Monday if the sores aren't gone.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »
Lord have mercy on the work of Your Hands.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Distressed about my country
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.

Offline sohma_hatori

• Earthbending Novice
  • High Elder
  • The Blind Bandit
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
Shu awareme Yo...
""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
May the Lord have mercy and grant you speedy healing! I'm not feeling well today either :(
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
Lord have mercy on Your servant Gabriel.

We all missed you this morning. I hope you feel better before Pascha. Today's bulletin had a new schedule for Holy Week; pretty similar, but a couple of things have new times. If you didn't get the bulletin by e-mail, let me know. I can forward it to you.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
Thanks for your prayers everyone.  It still smarts when I swallow, but with Ibuprofin and Orajel things are not as bad... I did a little research on canker sores (aka aphthous ulcers).  Doctors have no idea what causes them.  I really feel horrible for those folks who routinely get them!

In Christ,

Gabriel

reason for edit: spelling. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:08:09 PM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
I really feel horrible for those folks who routinely get them!

Welcome to my world  :laugh:, and maybe I am a bit of a masochist, but I just use straight peroxide on them.   :P
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »
Welcome to my world  :laugh:, and maybe I am a bit of a masochist, but I just use straight peroxide on them.   :P

What I heard is a little bit of hydrogen peroxide diluted with water.  Swish it around in your mouth and spit out.  Don't swallow it. 

Your best bet is to see a doctor tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:25:58 PM by Salpy »

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »
What I heard is a little bit of hydrogen peroxide diluted with water.  Swish it around in your mouth and spit out.  Don't swallow it. 

Yup, that was the same advice I got to help my incisions heal after my wisdom teeth surgically removed.  It works wonders, and you foam like a rabid beast after.   :laugh:

Offline RLNM

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
My dentist said people who eat a lot of cinnimon flavored candies (like Atomic Fire Balls- yum!) get more Canker sores. I found that when I use Cinnimon flavored toothpaste, I get a lot more. Rats! Well, the orange isn't too bad, but I prefered the cinnimon.

Anyways, he seems to be right from what I noticed.
"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
Salt does it to me.  However, they also sometimes mean a cold is coming, which is why it is always good to rest.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 02:36:18 AM »
SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0......Healing lord Grant..
Body and Soul.....Amin.....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:38:05 AM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
Lord have mercy!  Hope you can make it on Saturday night, at least.  I think we could forgive you if you skipped choir and just came anyway. ;)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »
I always just swish with very salty warm water. Does wonders. I should try the peroxide though; it might have made my wisdom teeth extraction much less painful.
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 05:24:58 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Gabriel, I hope you feel better now. I second the recommendation to use diluted hydrogen peroxide. Another thing that helps is a little bit of manganese diluted in warm water (it has a bluish-purple color with bubbles).
Love never fails.

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »
Heh, I didn't even know they sold manganese.
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."

Offline Starlight

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
Dear God, please help Your servant! Lord, have mercy.

GabrielTheCelt, hope you feel better.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm feeling sooo much better now so thanks for all y'alls prayers...  :)  Also, Heorhij, Salpy, and Friul- I tried the diluted h. peroxide and it must've did the trick!  Thanks so much!

Gabriel

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
Glory to God! I'm so glad you're feeling better, GabrieltheCelt! I'm glad for the good advice the folks gave you and that it seems to have helped! Stay well!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »
So glad you are feeling better, Gabriel. And just in time for Unction too. It was good to see you tonight. :D
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm